Vegetarian Recipes - No comments - Page 26

Posted: 16 years ago
Try this yummy Tomato Pulav....

Tomato Pulav

Ingredients:
Basmathi rice – 2 Cups
(Washed and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes.)
Coconut milk 1 can OR 2 cups
Onion - 1/2 finely chopped
Tomatoes - 4 to 5 chopped
Green chilies - 4 slit lengthwise
Ginger piece - 1 inch
Garlic - 2-3 cloves
Coriander leaves - 1/4 bunch
Mint leaves - 1/4 bunch
Cinnamon stick - 1 piece
cloves - 4
Bay leaves (briyani leaves) - 2
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Chili powder
Green peas –1/2 cup
Oil & Salt to taste

Method:
Make a paste out of Ginger and garlic. Put oil and add the cinnamon stick and cloves. Also add the briyani leaves. Then add the sliced onions and fry till onion becomes golden brown. Now add in the green chilies and the Ginger-garlic paste. Also add mint leaves and fry for a few minutes. Now add the tomatoes and fry until they become mushy and then add the coriander leaves, Turmeric & Chili powder. Fry for a few seconds and add the fresh peas. Now add the Soaked Rice & Coconut milk + water, in the ratio 1: 1 1/2. (Tip: If you see the paste to be on the watery side, you can reduce the water by 1/4 cup). Add in salt and mix it well and close with the lid and cook it in low flame, for about 20 minutes. This can be cooked using pressure cooker as well. Serve this yummy Tomato pulav with a small cup of yogurt …and mmm..mm.… the taste will be really awesome. Enjoy!!

Edited by supree - 16 years ago
Suraikkai Kadalai Paruppu Kootu

Ingredients:
Suraikkai (Bottle gourd) - Cut into cubes - 2 Cups
Kadalai Paruppu(Channa dal)  - 3/4 to 1 cup
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Mustards - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilies - 2 (broken into 2 pieces)
Curry leaves - a few
Hing - 1 pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - per taste

For paste
Grated coconut - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
G.chilies - 4
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp

Method:
Clean and wash the channa dal and let it soak in water for about 30 minutes. With this add the Suraikkai pieces, turmeric and required salt and add 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook it for just 2 whistles. Note: Make sure to switch it off exactly after 2 whistles as you do not want the dal to loose it's shape.... Make a smooth paste of Coconut, Cumin and G.chilies. After the pressure is down, open the lid and mix the paste with the veggie+dal mixture and stir it well. Note: Don't make it too watery; this should be thick in consistency. Let this mixture boil in low flame for about 10-12 minutes until the raw chili smell fades down.
In a separate pan, do the seasoning with 1 tsp of oil. Add mustards, cumin, r.chilies, hing and curry leaves. Pour the seasoning on top of the dal, mix it once and close the lid immediately and leave it closed for few minutes.
After a few minutes open the lid and serve it with hot rice! Enjoy!!

Its okay, dp_p.

You can just introduce yourself and then post any recipe you like in the main recipe thread, like Kavitha and others to there with pictures it will be great and a good way to make new friends

Mels

On Mel's suggestion: I would like to introduce my self. I am a full time mom/professional/cook :-) who loves to cook and entertain.   Lot of my friends encouraged me to start sharing recipes. So I have started blogging, which is a good way to keep my passion for cooking alive and be in touch with new tools/technology. I don't mean to hurt anybody's feelings, nor that is my intention.. I would like to share my cooking experience. Most of the recipes here are posted are my cooking experiments.  As most of the recipes are shared and  photos are my additions.  I would like to share Broccoli, carrot tofu curry.

Recipe - Broccoli, carrot and tofu (stir fry)

Summary
Broccoli is a member of cabbage family, it benefits in lowering cancer risk and generally improve health. Tofu is the soybean curd, high in protein and calcium.

Ingredients:
Broccoli - 2 - 3 medium size (approximately 30 florets)
Carrots -2 medium size (approximately 2 cups)
Green Beans - 1 cup (optional)
Tofu - half a pound (comes in 1 pound pack)
Black pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoons
Salt 3/4 teaspoon (according to taste)
Oil/Butter - 1 tablespoon ( can be added during cooking if needed)

Vegetable cutting:
Wash and dry Broccoli and carrots on a kitchen towel. Cut broccoli into small florets about an inch size and carrots and tofu into long thin slices.

Process:

Preheat with oil in a kadai (skillet). Add broccoli, carrot and tofu to the skillet.

The temperature should be medium high. Saute well for 5 - 10 minutes add salt and pepper.

Mix well all the ingredients together. Slightly cover the dish and turn off the heat.

Mix the vegetable in between to check if the broccoli is cooked 5 minutes.   Do not over cook broccoli, it taste better when its crunchy. Mix it well and if you notice the dish is drying up cover little bit of oil (1 teaspoon) and cover the dish fully. Check after five minutes.

Preparation time: 15 minutes.

# Servings 3 - 4

Tips:

You can add one table spoon soy sauce (low sodium) or terriyaki sauce (low sodium) for flavor.   Per serving 13milligrams is the optimal intake of sodium.

http://priya-kitchen.blogspot.com/2008_03_02_archive.htmlEdited by dp_p - 16 years ago
Recipe - Roasted Asparagus

Summary:

This is a healthy side dish which can be eaten with Rice, Roti, Pasta or just as a finger food for kids. Asparagus has good medicinal qualities.

Ingredients:

Asparagus
Cumin - 1/2 spoon (Optional)
Garlic - 2 - 4 pods (Optional)
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Black pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
Butter - 1-2 teaspoons.

Process:

Soak the spears in the water for few minutes before cutting. So that all the fine sand in the spears is washed away. Now wash the Asparagus in clean water again.
Cut it into two inch size pieces.

Cut it into two inch size pieces.

Roast:

Preheat the skillet and melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the Cumin seeds and Garlic.

Once the cumin starts crackling, add asparagus spears.

Roast it well for five minutes. Add Salt and black pepper and sautee for one or two minutes. Turn off the heat and cover and cook for 5 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Until asparagus is tender.

Preparation time: 5 - 10 minutes.

#Servings: 3 - 4

Edited by dp_p - 16 years ago
This recipe was given to me by my friend
Enjoy

Mint Chutney

Ingredients:

Mint Leaves 1 bunch
Tamarind 2 inch sized ball
Chana dal 1 tbsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Broken red chillies 8-10
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tbsp

Method of preparation:

Soak tamarind in water for few minutes and remove the pulp.

Remove mint leaves, wash thoroughly and pat them dry.
Heat 2 tsps of oil in a pan, add mint leaves and fry for few seconds.

Heat tsp of oil in the same pan, add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and broken red chillies.
When chana dal turns golden brown, remove from heat and keep aside. Becareful not to blacken the chillies.

Blend all the above fried ingredients together with tamarind extract and salt.
Finally add mint leaves and blend into somewhat smooth mixture.

Can have it with Thosai, etc.

Aval Upma

Ingredients :
Aval/Poha - 1 cup
Onion - 1 (medium) - chopped
Ginger - 1 inch piece (chopped fine)
Lemon juice - from 1 small lemon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 2 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Green chilies - 2 or 3
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - per taste
Coriander leaves
Curry leaves

Method:
Soak the aval for about 2-3 minutes and wash it well in cold water and strain it.
And let it dry in the strainer and the aval will absorb all the little bit of water left along with it.
Heat some oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, jeera and the dal. When dals turn to golden color add ginger and green chilies.
Then add the onions and fry them till they become golden brown. Add the curry leaves too at this point.
Now add turmeric, the soaked aval and salt. Mix them well and let it cook in slow flame for few minutes. Sprinkle a little water if it looks too dry in between.
Finally add the lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves.
This is an easy and yummy tiffin to prepare in no time. Goes well as an evening snack for kids too. Tip: You can also add some ghee fried cashews to it at the end to make it more kids-friendly!! πŸ˜‰

thanx caryn.

MURUNGAKAI(DRUMSTIC) SODHI RECIPE:

INGREDIENTS: 2 drumstics,1 cup peeled small onion,few garlic,1 cup sliced tomatoes,curry leaves,coriander leaves.

For Masala:2 teaspoons coriander seeds,1/2 t.spoon methi seeds,1/2 t.spoon black pepper,1/2 t.spoon channa daal,few dried red chillies,1/2 cup grated coconut.Roast all these with coconut & grind it.

Add 2-3 spoons of oil in a pan & then add onions & garlic & wait till it becomes golden brown.add tomatoes & wait till it dissolves & then add drumstic(cut it in medium size).Add water & salt & wait till drum stic boils.Then add masala paste.The gravy should become brown & oil shd come out of gravy.then garnish it with coriander leaves.

This will go well with Rice & dosa. u can also use big onion but small onion taste better in this dish.if u add more onion it tastes better.add equal portion of onion & tomatoes.pepper is also added,so add red chillies according 2 u'r taste.
This is for Sue. Sue I haven't published this in my blog yet. When I do will let you know and you can see the texture of idli powder.

Recipe - Karappodi (Milagah podi/Idli powder)

Summary
Karrapodi/Idli powder is very good for sinus congestion if garlic is added to it. Again this is my mom's recipe.   Idli powder is found in almost every South Indian's pantry. It is a very good substitute for chutneys.

Ingredients:

Urad dal - 1/2 cup
Chana dal - 1/2 cup
Red chillies - 1/2 cup (according to spice level)
Coriander seeds - 1/2 cup
Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
Tamarind - 125 grams or 1/4 pound.
Garlic - 1 whole

Preparation:

Roast all the ingredients together except tamarind and garlic. After the ingredients turn light brown in color, add tamarind and fry it for a few minutes. Add garlic and turn off the stove.
Let the mixture cool and grind all the ingredients together. Let it cool and store in a cool place.

Preparation time - 20 minutes

Originally posted by jenim

Thanks DeviPriya for reminding me about the Molagappodi. I've been long wanting to get the recipe for this one. Your blog's step-by-step pics are so cool!

Guys.. My paatti used to make the best Molagappodi in the WWW (Whole Wide world)  πŸ˜†  Somehow, my Mom doesn't make it quite like her. She never learnt the trick from my Paatti, but now it's too late.

I just love the authentic taste of Molagappodi made in the Tam Bram households. Pardon me for being too specific, but can any of you give me that recipe for the Molagappodi? Very recently, I'd learnt how to make Idlis and I sooooooo miss the Molagappodi that it should be paired with.

for you jenim...a typical tam bram podi!

ingredients

2 cups of well dried destalked Red chillies/Kayntha milagai(30gms
1/2 cup kadalai paruppu
1/2 cup uzhutham paruppu
A small piece of cake (katti) perungayam.
(Hard perungayam has more aroma than the powder)
Salt to taste
A tsp of Oil.

1. Heat a kadai and DRY roast the kadalai paruppu and uzhutham paruppu SEPARATELY until deep brown... take care not to over or under fry.. Remove them in a plate to cool

2. Now add oil in the same kadai and roast the piece of perungayam. Remove soon and keep aside.

3. In the same oil fry the red chillies, taking care not to burn them, in a low flame till the colour changes and its aroma comes out….Add salt and mix. Remove the chillies from the kadai.

4. Cool the roasted ingredients and powder altogether in a mixie. Some prefer it a little coarse and some like it too powdery. Choice is yours

Note: If you like the flavours of ellu, roast 4 tsps of ellu separately after the paruppus, and grind together with the other ingredients.  If ellu is used, my mom adds a bit of vellam as well to remove the slight bitterness of the ellu.  The vellam also goes into the mixie to be powdered!

Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
OK here is how I make milaga podi:

Dry red chillies : 50gms
Ulutham paruppu : 1/2 cup
Kadalai paruppu : 1/2 cup
Vellai ellu      : 1/4 cup
Ground nut       : 1/4 cup

Dry roast all this - should be careful to roast well with out burning
them - do it on a low flame. I use perungaya powder - no need to
fry or roast. Cool it well and then dry grind together with salt to
taste. The white ellu has no skin and so there will be not bitter