Raagi Sweet Dosa

Ingredients:
Raagi flour - 1 Cup
Jaggery - 1 Cup
Cardamom - 2 (crushed)
Salt – a pinch
Water – as required

Method:
First dilute the jaggery in water and let it come to boil. By doing this all those dirt will come to the top which you can remove. Keep the filtered water aside.
Take the Raagi flour and add salt and the crushed cardamom and using the jaggery water prepare batter to the consistency of Dosa batter.
Make Dosas using a bit of ghee around it and serve it warm. Enjoy! 😊

p.s. I made this last weekend for my kids. I prepared the dosas in small circle shapes and they turned out really cute and yummy and it's healthy too! 😊
When I took the picture and viewed it, it reminded me of those 'Athirasams'...we make back at home… yumm! πŸ˜ƒ   From that I got this idea of 'Guess What?' fun! πŸ˜‰

Ok friends, With this Sweet Recipe/note, I'm saying bye to you all for now... and will come back from India and join you all again! Stay well & take care everyone! Bye, bye!! πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by supree - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
jenim you are right about the leaves that you checked out. but it is not scary like they say it is. th gujjus use it regular and it is quite tasty! Pathrode is steamed colocasia leaves rolls stuffed with spicy rice and dal mixture. The leaves are known are aloo/pathra in gujarati, 'Elephant Ears' to some, sold as 'taro leaves' in the Chinese supermarkets. You can buy taro roots from the Indian store and grow the leaves in your backyard. The plant needs good sunlight for a healthy growth. When not cooked properly they do itch and thats because of the needle like calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves. They are broken down on cooking. here is the commonest of the gujju recipes using the leaves.

10-12 colocasia leaves
1 cup rice
1 cup moong/green gram
1 cup coconut
pinch of hing
1 inch cube tamarind
12 roasted red chillies
salt

Soak rice and moong with enough water for 8 hrs or overnight. You could use 2 cups of rice or 2 cups of moong instead. But I like this half & half combination the best. Wash and drain. Set aside.

Grind coconut, roasted red chillies, tamarind into a smooth paste. Add hing and the rice and moong and continue to grind until its the lightly coarse like the idli rava. Do not use much water, keep it as dry as possible. Add salt and mix well.

Clean the colocasia leaves, and pat them dry. Remove the middle hard veins and any other hard of the leaves with a small knife or a peeler. Do not bother to leave the tender veins they will cook well.

to make the Pathrode place the largest leaf upside down, spread the paste allover the leaf, place another leaf on top. Continue stacking up to 7-8 leaves.

Fold the edges along the length, spread the paste on the sides.

Now oll the leaves. Tuck in the top corner to make the roll look perfect. Spread the paste between every folds.

Steam cook for 45 minutes. Overcooking it is no problem. Actually they don't get overcooked easily. You can check by inserting a toothpick and it should pierce easily without the hardness of the leaves and should come out clean without any raw batter sticking. Let it cool down before you slice them into rounds.

1. Pan fry the rounds with a spoonful of coconut oil. Fry till the edges are crisp. eat on its own.

2. Pathrode - Serve with any coconut sauce curries or you can makke this chutney that the konkanis do...
Make a smooth masala paste by grinding shredded coconut, tamarind and roasted red chillies. Roast 1/4 tsp urad dal, 3-4 methi seeds, 1/4 tsp coriander seeds and add it to the paste and continue to grind for a minute. Boil the masala with little water and 1/2 onion chopped. Add the pathrode pieces to it and cook on low flame till the water evaporates and the gashi becomes thick.

4. Pathrode Usli - Heat 3 tsp oil of oil, make a seasoning with mustard,urad dal, peanuts, curry leaves, broken red chillies and onions. Fry till onion is golden brown. Add chopped pathrode, little salt and fry on low flame till ii becomes little crisp. and to this i add some tori that is cleaned and cut and cooked in the microwave for about 7 minutes. and your subzi is ready!!!

forgot...jenim hing is kayam...perunkayam/ aesofoetida.
Edited by jasunap - 15 years ago
jasunap thumbnail
just thot i would post the appalaam subzi that i make when i have no veggies in the house...this is classic rajasthan dish and i just love it...

PAPAD KA SHAAK is what they call it there!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup plain boondi
1/2 red chilli powder
2 -3 red chillies whole
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tblsp bengal gram flour (besan)
1 tsp garam masala powder
3 tblsp oil
2 big size papads
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch asafietuda
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup yogurt (sour)

How to make papad ka shaak :
β€’     Roast papads and break into medium sized pieces.
β€’     Whisk everything the yogurt, besan and 1 cup of water.
β€’     Soak papads pieces and boondi in 2 cup hot water for 2-3 minutes.
β€’     Strain and keep aside.
β€’     Heat up oil.
β€’     Mix in cumin seeds.
β€’     When they begin to crackle, mix in asafoetida and broken red chillies.
β€’     Fry for a minute or so.
β€’     Mix in red chilli powder and beaten yogurt.
β€’     Mix in rest of the masalas and stir continuously.
β€’     As it begins to boil, mix in the papad and boondi.
β€’     Boil for a couple of minutes and decorate with cut coriander leaves.
β€’     Serve hot.
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Ravva dosa

Semolina crepes
Summary:

Rava dosa doesn't need any fermentation. They can be prepared right away. For the desired result, it is better to soak the batter for a couple of hours. These dosa's come in handy when there is time restriction with cooking. Pacify's hungry kids as an instant snack. Or even a good morning breakfast. I make these very regularly.

Ingredients:

* Semolina(sooji rava) - 1 cup
    * All purpose flour (maida) - 1/2 cup
    * Rice flour - 1/2 cup
    * Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
    * Onions - 1/2 cup
    * Green chili - 2 - 3 Indian green chilies (chopped/minced)
    * Cilantro - 3 tablespoons
    * Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon (according to taste)
    * Yogurt - 1 cups
    * Water - 2 and 1/4 cups (approximately)
    * Oil - to spray on the dosa

Process:

Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl. Do not pour all the water at once. Make the batter into smooth and silky thin with no lumps. Set the batter aside for couple of hours. If you wish you make dosa right away, you sure can. But dosa's taste better when they soak in yogurt for couple of hours.

Preheat a non-stick pan/cast iron skillet. Ladle the batter in the center of the preheated pan or greased skillet; slowly spread the batter into a thin circle.

Spray oil on top of the crape/dosa. The edges of the dosa start turning into golden brown flip the dosa and cook it on the other side. In 1 minute remove dosa from the pan.

Fold dosa in desired shape and serve hot with sambar/lentil soup or any kind of spread/chutney or chutney powders.

Preparation time: 5 minutes (15 minutes to prepare batter)
Tips:

* Try using a cup to pour the batter on to the skillet, if you are not comfortable with the ladle. Move your hand fast while pouring.
    * For some reason if the dosa is not coming out well, add little more water to the batter and dip your fingers in the batter and pour the batter with your fingers on to the skillet. Believe me; you might not have eaten crispier dosa's before :-)
    * To make it more nutritious, I replace rice flour with whole wheat flour.

dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Baingan bhartha (Kalchina vankaya koora)

Roasted eggplant/Brinjal curry
Summary

Eggplants help control cholesterol. They are high in potassium and good source of folic acid.

According to Wikipedia, China and India are the highest consumers of eggplant. Just like tomatoes there are different types of eggplants, varying in size and color. Eggplants can be prepared in different styles.

South Indians make baingan bhartha with different ingredients and call it "pacchi pulusu/kalchina vankaya pacchadi. The roasted eggplant is not fried as much as the north Indian bhartha. I will post the pacchi pulusu and vankaya pacchadi recipes later.

Baingan bhartha is very popular in north Indian cuisine. Typical Punjabi baingan bhartha doesn't need too many spices. Salt, turmeric and red chilli powder are the basic spices. I add coriander powder and garam masala to the curry to make it spicy.
Ingredients:

* Onions- 2 big (3 cups chopped)
    * Tomatoes - 4 medium size (3 cups)
    * Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon (according to taste)
    * Turmeric - 1/4 teaspoon
    * Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon (according to taste)
    * Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
    * Garam masala - 1/2 teaspoon
    * Green chillies - 1 finely chopped
    * Cilantro - 1/2 cup (chopped)
    * Oil - 1 tablespoon

Eggplant roasted - 1 large (2 cups pulp)

Method:
Apply oil all over the raw eggplant, roast eggplant on the stove top or roast the eggplant on broil in an oven for 10 - 15 minutes turning in between. Remove the burnt skin from the eggplant and discard the skin. Mash the pulp of the eggplant and set it aside.

Preparing masala/base spice mixture:
Seasoning:
Heat oil or butter in a skillet or pan. Add cumin seeds and hing, allow the seeds to splutter. Add chopped onions, cook till light slightly brown in color.

Add chopped tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric and red chilli powder. Saute till tomatoes are well mashed and all the water/wetness in the mixture is evaporated at medium high temperature.

Add the eggplant pulp, salt, cook for 10 - 15 minutes at medium heat temperature.

Add garam masala(optional), cilantro and finely chopped green chillies according to spice level, mix well and turn off the heat. Serve hot with roti/paratha/rice.

Preparation time: 20 - 30 minutes
# Servings : 4Edited by dp_p - 15 years ago
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Lentil Soup with celery and vegetables

Summary:
Lentils have high level of protein, minerals and dietary fiber. The soluble fiber helps stabilize the blood sugar level and lower risk of heart disease. Source: Wikipedia

Vegetable soup with bread butter sandwich is among one of my kids favorite lunch items to school. I get them to eat their veggies and protein in one meal. It helps them eat warm lunches during cold winter. Makes a very nutrious dinner with some salad or pasta in the side.

Ingredients:

* Lentils - 1/2 cup
    * Onion - 1/4 cup
    * Celery - 1/2 cup
    * Bell pepper - 1/2 cup
    * Yam - 1/2 cup
    * Zucchini - 1/2 cup
    * Green beans - 1/2 cup
    * Tomato - 1 cup (1 large tomato)
    * Spinach - 1/2 cup (frozen or any fresh greens)
    * Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves (according to taste)
    * Bay Leaf - 1 small
    * Whole Cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
    * Water - 4 cups
    * Salt - 3/4 teaspoon
    * Black Pepper - 1/4 teaspoon
    * Ground Cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
    * Butter/Ghee/Olive Oil - 1 teaspoon
    * Lemon Juice - according to taste (optional)

Process
Preheat butter or olive oil in a soup pot or pressure cooker, splutter whole cumin seeds, add bay leaf. Add finely cut onions, celery and garlic and stir till aromatic.

Add all the veggies, tomatoes, lentils, ground cumin, black pepper and salt.

Add 4 cups of water, bring to boil, lower heat and cover the dish, let it cook until lentils are cooked (20minutes). Turn off the heat.

Add little lemon juice (optional). Serve hot.

Preparation time 30 minutes
# Servings: 4 - 6
jasunap thumbnail
here is lovely snack for tea time...this is made the bengali style...this namkeen keeps!

KORAISHUTIR KOCHURI RECIPE

Ingredients:

1/4 tsp salt
3 tblsp ghee (melted)
1 cup refined flour
For Filling
1/4 kg Peas (shelled)
1 inch Ginger
4 small Green Chillies
4 tsAniseeds (saunf)
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt to taste
Ghee to deep fry

How to make koraishutir kochuri :
β€’     Sift the flour with 1/4 tsp salt.
β€’     Mix in 2 tblsp of ghee and knead to a soft dough.
β€’     Grind the peas, ginger, green chillies and aniseeds to a fine paste.
β€’     Fry the asafoetida till light brown.
β€’     Mix in the peas paste and salt.
β€’     Fry well till the paste is cooked.
β€’     Take off from heat up and let it cool.
β€’     Divide the dough into 8 balls.
β€’     Press each ball in the centre and fill it with the pea mixture.
β€’     Close the opening well and flatten.
β€’     Roll out as for puris.
β€’     Heat up ghee in a kadhai.
β€’     Deep fry the puris on low heat up till golden brown.
β€’     Remove and serve hot.
jasunap thumbnail
i love it with this onion chutney i make...mint chutney also goes well!
ONION CHUTNEY RECIPE

Ingredients:

1 cup peeled onions
6 -7 flakes of garlic
2 tbs channa daal (Bengal Gram)
5 red chilies or as per taste
Salt As Per Taste
1tsp mustard seeds
curry Leaves
little tamarind (Imli)

How to make onion chutney:

β€’     Heat oil, fry chilies, daal, garlic and the onions, till golden brown.
β€’     Grind with tamarind and salt.
β€’     Splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves, in oil and pour the ground paste atop. stir and serve!
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Cauliflower Kurma
Cauliflower cooked with tomato sauce
Summary:

Cauliflower kurma is very easy to make, has a nice flavor and is among my favorite dishes. I enjoy it with vegetable pulao or vegetable biryani/fried rice. Cauliflower kurma is my aunt's (pinni/chithi/maasi) signature dish! Her recipe includes a number of shortcuts which means spending less time in the kitchen. My family has all kinds of cooks - slow track as well as fast track, those who take a detailed approach and those who want get the job done as fast as possible. I enjoy cauliflower kurma, cooked by my aunt with her style of biryani. Again that is a shortcut biryani. Stay tuned for the shortcut biryani recipe :-) Coming up in next few days...

Ingredients:

* Cauliflower - 30 florets (medium size)
    * Yogurt - 1/3 cup (optional)
    * Cumin seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
    * Cilantro - 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
    * Oil - 1 tablespoon
    * Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
    * Sugar - 1 teaspoon (takes the tartness away from the tomato gravy)

Gravy ingredients:

* Onion - 2 cups (1 and 1/2 big)
    * Tomatoes - 3 cups (3 tomatoes approximately)
    * Ginger - 1 tablespoon
    * Garlic - 2 teaspoons
    * Cinnamon - 1 inch stick (1 teaspoon cinnamon powder)
    * Cloves - 2
    * Bay leaves - 1
    * Red chili powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons

Preparation for gravy:

Puree all the above gravy ingredients.

Boil/microwave the cauliflower florets adding or sprinkling 1/2 teaspoon of salt for 3 minutes in the microwave. Add bell pepper (capsicum) to bring color and flavor to the dish.

Preheat the kadai/skillet with oil, add cumin seeds. Let the seeds splutter, add the gravy to the seeds.

Fry/saut the gravy till it no longer smells of the fresh onions and tomatoes (approximately 10 minutes). Add the florets to the gravy, and mix well. Add sugar, 2 cups of water and yogurt ( I did not add in this recipe) and boil and turn off the stove in 5 -8 minutes after the desired consistency is reached.

Add salt, garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve hot with fried rice or with roti.

Preparation time: 20 - 30minutes
Servings: 3 - 4
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Lauki / Dudhi Kofta (sorakaya/anapakaya bajji)

(Bottle Gourd/Zuccini/Lauki Squash dumplings) (Malai Kofta)
Summary:
A dish for special occasions, Malai Kofta is the Indian vegetarian alternative to meatballs. It goes very well with naans, roti or rice. Paneer, mixed vegetables, or any other kind of variation can be used to make the dumplings. Kofta is a very popular dish that is served in every north Indian restaurant.
Ingredients for making Koftas:
Doodhi/Lauki - 1 med. sized, tender (grated) (approximately 2.5 cups)
Besan (chick pea flour)- 1/2 cup (you can always add more if you would like)
Green Chillies - 1 Serrano pepper
Dry Methi leaves 1 Tablespoon (fresh methi is always the best)
Salt - 1 teaspoon to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method:

Grate Lauki and leave it aside for 5 minutes
Drain excess water by pressing it between your palm. You can also evaporate it in a pan on medium heat, stirring continuously.
Mix besan, green chillies, methi leaves and salt (add salt when you are ready to deep fry the dumplings).

Mix all the ingredients well (if needed you can add little bit of water but not too much) and make small balls/dumplings. Add salt when you are ready to deep fry the dumplings in oil or else the batter will be too loose and will leave excess water.

Mix well and make small balls/dumplings.

Preheat oil in a pan and drop the dumplings/koftas slowly into the oil from the side of the skillet with a spoon.
Fry the dumplings till golden brown. drain them on a paper towel and set aside.

Ingredients for Gravy

Onion Chopped - 1 small/1 cup
Garlic grated/minced - 1/2 teaspoon or 2 small pods ( optional)
Ginger grated/minced - 1 teaspoon
Tomatoes chopped - 2 medium size or 1 and 1/2 cup (Tomato puree can also be used 6 oz can)
Coriander powder - 1 tablespoon
Green chilly - 1 Serrano pepper
Chilly powder - 1 teaspoon ( do not use chilly powder if green chilly is used in the gravy)
Salt to taste - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seed - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Cilantro - 2 tablespoons (Garnish)
Cream - 1/3 cup

Gravy Preparation:

Preheat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds. Let the seeds splutter and add chopped onions, ginger and garlic. Saute well until all the ingredients turn to golden brown.

Add tomatoes and green chillies and fry them well until you see oil leaving the walls of the skillets. If you don't like so much frying, you can just let the tomato cook and then let it cool on the side.

For creamy sauce, grind all the ingredients in a blender.

Pour the sauce back in the skillet. Add salt and pour 2 cups of water. Let it boil to a liquid consistency.

Boil it on medium heat for 10 minutes and turn off the heat. Do not worry too much about the consistency. You can always add more water if you want it more liquidy. Add the dumplings/koftas to the gravy just before serving, either directly or in the cooking skillet.

You can also boil the gravy and pour it over the dumplings (For dumplings to soak, they will have to sit for 5-10 minutes)

You can add cream and adjust the consistency of the dish. Garnish with cilantro before serving. You can always adjust the spiciness and consistency according to your liking.

Preparation time: 45 minutes
# Servings 4 - 6

Tips: Instead of tomatoes, you can use tomato paste or tomato sauce.