Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
kavi, here is a recipe of my fav punch for you. this quantity served around 40 people. made this for a lunch i hosted!

3 qt. orange juice
2 qt. pineapple juice
2 liters lemon-lime soda
1/2 cup grenadine syrup OR juice
one jar maraschino cherries
4 cups ice cubes
1 med. orange - sliced
1 med. lemon - sliced
1 med. lime - sliced

-Combine juices, soda, and grenadine in a punch bowl.
-Add ice.
-Lay slices of fruit on ice to garnish.

kavvi to keep the punch really cold, i freeze some of the juice on ice trays over night.  and i sometimes substitute the pine apple juice with passion fruit or add passion fruit to the above mentioned juices as well!!
Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
jasunap thumbnail
here is another recipe for you kavi. a personal one.

3/4 cup water
2 tsp chopped ginger
2 cups guava juice
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups finely chopped pineapples
1 cup sugar
3 - 4 cups pineapple juice

Add 1/4 cup water to ginger root. Boil 3 minutes. Strain.Make a syrup of sugar and remaining water Add the liquid to the guava, lemon and pineapple juices. Combine with juices and pineapple. Chill thoroughly. like i told you, once i mix all of them, pour a portion of it and freeze. the rest i chill! that keeps it cooler for a longer time hte next day!!
Sue Nair thumbnail
M'SIAN BAKED TAPIOCA CAKE (KUIH BINGKA)

Ingredients
(a) 5 cups grated tapioca
(b) 1 1/2 cups sugar
(c) 1 tsp salt
(d) 4 cups coconut milk
(e) 2 eggs
(f) Butter

Method
Grease a large baking tray with some butter. Mix all ingredients and pour into baking tray. Spread evenly brush surface with a little butter. Bake in moderate heat for 2 hours until the surface becomes brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before cutting into squares.. otherwise if still warm it will crumble. Enjoy!! πŸ˜‰ Edited by Sue Nair - 16 years ago
jasunap thumbnail
ricotta buttermilk pancake

ingredients

120g Ricotta
2 eggs - separated and the whites beaten stiff
170g all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
200 ml buttermilk
butter for frying
Maple Syrup
Fresh strawberries - cut up in quarters

method
Mix together the baking powder and flour together. In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks with the ricotta until creamy. Add the buttermilk and beat further.

Pour this mixture into the flour and whisk until everything is combined. Add the beaten egg whites and fold in carefully until the batter is smooth.

In a heated pan add a small amount butter and bake the pancakes on both sides till golden brown.

Stack high, add the strawberries and pour with maple syrup.

mmmmmmmm delicious...pancakes...

Caryn thumbnail
I am not sure if Kavi have given this, but this is one real sweet and tasty dessert.

Sweet Dessert - Kuih dadar

(thosai with sweet stuffings)

200 g plain flour (sifted)
1 egg (optional)
300 ml thin coconut milk
a dash of screwpine flavour or vanilla flavour and green colouring
100 ml corn oil

Nonya Kueh Dadar Filling Ingredient:
1 coconut (grated white part)
150 g palm sugar/gula melaka (dissolved in 30 ml hot water)
11/2 tbsp sugar

Nonya Kueh Dadar Method Step By Step:
Combine half of the coconut milk with flour. Add in the egg, green colouring and corn oil; beat mixture till well-combined.

Gradually pour in the remaining coconut milk. Continue beating for 5 minutes. Sieve the liquid.

Let batter stand for 30 minutes.

Heat up an omelette pan. Pour some batter onto pan.

Tilt the pan so that the batter is spread evenly thin. Just the way you do thosai. When sides turn dry and brittle, remove kuih.

Repeat this process till all the batter has been used up.

To prepare filling: Fry the grated coconut till just heated up. Add in the dissolved gula melaka and sugar; stir till mixture is well-blended.

When cool, spread 2 teaspoonfuls filling in the middle of the kuih. Roll up kuih just like spring rolls and serve.

Kueh Dadar Tip:
Do not grease pan since batter contains oil.
kadhambari thumbnail
cabbage vadai recipe:

Ingredients:1 cabbage
             chilli powder(as per u'r taste)
             1/2 spoon kadugu a mustard
             1 spoon ulatham parupu a urad dal
             1 spoon kadalai paruppu a channa dal
             curry leaves
             pottukadalai maavu(grind pottukadalai finely),salt as per taste
             Oil for frying

Method:cabbage'i nalla fine'a cut pannikonga.Add few spoons of oil in a tawa & add mustard seeds,urad daal,channa daal & curry leaves.then add cabbage,salt & chillipowder.do not keep in fire for too long,just keep it 4 5 mins in slow fire.Then add pottukadalai maavu just 2 bind.cabbage thanni vidum adhanaala oru maavu padhathukku add pottukadalai maavu.small vada shape'la thatti ennaila porichu edukavum.slow fire'la seiyavum b'coz pottukadalai maavu seekirama karuppu aagum.golden brown aagum podhu eduthuralaam,cutlet color'la shapela irukkanum.

cabbage pidikadhavungalukkum romba pdikkum.cabbage inikradhu indha voorla,samaikave pidikalanu soldravangalukku cabbage vadai nalla change.very easy 2 make & a very tasty starter.it will go well with coriander chutney & u can also serve it 4 bisibela bath.
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
Thanks Baskaran for your compliments.
Here is the recipe for paal appam.

Aapam

Ingredients

2 cups raw rice
a tsp methi seeds
cup scraped coconut
cup boiled rice
coconut water if you have
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast granules
1 tbs sugar
1cup of thick coconut milk made from 1 coconut
3 cups of thin coconut milk or as needed
3 tbs sugar or more

Method:
Wash the rice and soak the rice with the methi seeds for 5 to 6 hours.
Then grind the rice with the methi seeds, boiled rice, and scrapped coconut, using coconut water if you have, or use the water in which you soaked the rice, to a thick fine paste.
Now add the salt , yeast, and sugar and mix well.
Leave it to ferment for about 7 hours.
Next morning, slowly add the thick milk, thin milk ,and the sugar.
The flour should be a bit watery and coat the ladle. Do not stir a lot.

Heat the aapa chatti,
Wipe it with a oil cloth.
When the pan is hot, take a small ladleful of the batter and pour it in the chatti. Swirl it around once in a clock wise motion.
( If you swirl it more than once , you will not get a thin frilly layer)
Cover the chatti and let it cook on a slow fire.
(If your ladle is big, the center part will not cook)
Serve it hot with sweet thick coconut milk.
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail

APOM BALIK

Ingredients:
250 grms plain flour
1 tsp salt
3 tbs castor sugar
1 egg
250 ml water
1 tsp alkaline water
1 tsp fresh yeast

Fillings
100 grms roasted groundnuts, pounded a bit coarsely.
75 grms coarse sugar
50 grms melted margarine

Method:
Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
Add sugar, egg, yeast and water to mix.
Beat the mixture well until it forms a smooth batter.
Add alkaline water, mix, then cover and leave
Aside   for 1 hour or more.
Heat a griddle pan until hot, pour a ladleful of
Batter into the pan. Smooth out evenly with the
Back of the ladle. Cover pan with a lid and cook
Until bubbles appear.
Spread a handful of groundnuts and some sugar.
Next add in 1 tbs of margarine. Cover and cook until
Apom begins to harden. Remove and fold in half.
Slice and serve.

Note: some like to add cream-style corn. I don't like it.
If you like add the corn after adding margarine.
For those who do not have the apom mould, try it in
A small non-stick pan.

Apom Cooking

The Cooked apom

The apom mould

URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Besan Burfi (Besan Ladoo)

Sweet dish made out of chick pea flour, clarified butter and sugar.
Summary:
Besan burfi is a very popular mithai in north India just like mysore paak in south India. The only difference is the appearance and texture, though both of them have the same ingredients. Those who are calorie and weight conscious, this is not for them :-). But this has its own benefits. It is very good during winter months. Those who would like to try it out...

Ingredients:

* Besan (chickpea flour/gram flour) - 2 cups
    * Ghee (clarified butter) - 1 cups
    * Sugar - 3/4 (if you like it very sweet can add 1 cup)
    * Cardimom - 1 teaspoon
    * Almonds or pistachios - 1/2 cup (optional)

Process:

Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Add besan/chickpea flour to the melted butter

Fry it till golden brown.

Add crushed almonds/pistachios to the golden brown besan/chickpea flour. Let the flour come down to lukewarm temperature (not too cold). Add sugar to the mixture, mix well. Adding sugar to the mixture at the right temperature yields best results.

Grease an 8x8 plate with ghee/butter and pour or spread the mixture on the plate. The mixture may not spread, you can level it using a spoon or a spatula.

Decorate it with crushed almonds or pistachios.

Let it cool and cut the burfi in desired shapes.

I prefer to cut the burfi in diamond shape instead of a square.

You can make ladoo/sweet balls out of the same mixture with one teaspoon/tablespoon (to get the desired size) of mixture.

Preparation time - 30 minutes
Servings - 20- 24 pieces (depending on the size of the burfi)

Tips:

* You can use unsalted butter in place of ghee.
    * The burfi's texture will be granular. If sugar is added to the flour when it is hot, sugar melts and the burfi tastes like flour and will stick to the teeth while eating.

supree thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Ok, let's jump into a sweet after this Karam!(podi) 😊

Rava Urundai

Rava Urundai (some call it Laddu) but we call it Urundai πŸ˜‰ , after all that's what the shape is…right! πŸ˜† 😊 , is been one of my all time favorites. My mom makes excellent Rava Urundais! When I was doing my PG (stayed in hostel) whenever I go home or when my parents come to visit me, I get a big dubba full of these Rava Urundais. But on the very same day my hostel friends and I will empty the whole dubba!! πŸ˜ƒ 😳 Here, I make this sweet quite often as my daughter too likes this very much… very few ingredients and it's very very easy to make. Ok, ok.., let me movie onto the recipe now..….

Ingredients:
Rava powder – 1 cup
(Roasted Rava ground into fine powder – I usually have this powder prepared at home and bring it from India.)
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
(My mom usually grinds the sugar in the mixie to get it in powdered form. But here we have the convenience of getting the powdered sugar in the Bakery section. It makes the job even simpler.)
Cashews – 5 or 6
(Fried in ghee and broken into pieces)
Cardamom powder – tsp
Ghee (Melted and in liquid form)

Method:
In a wide vessel (wok styled), mix all the above ingredients except ghee and mix them all nicely.
Heat the ghee in a separate pan and pour a little at a time to one side of the rava sugar mix.
How I usually do it is, keep the whole mixture in one side of the vessel, and move a little to the other side and pour a little ghee and mix it with a spoon and quickly make urundais when the mixture is kind of warm. But please be careful and do not burn your hands. Use a spoon to mix the powder with the hot ghee as you pour. Use both your hands and give a gentle pressure as you are making these urundais so that it forms into the shape easily & don't break (except in your mouth! 😊 πŸ˜† ). Do little at a time and after making the first 4 , 5 urundais you will be knowing how much ghee to pour and continue the processs!.

Tip: You can make Moongdal urundais as well using the same exact recipe above. Just replace rava powder by Moong dal powder fried in ghee and that comes out great too and it's a good source of protein to give to kids!! 😊 Enjoy!!

Edited by supree - 16 years ago