Sweets and Cakes - No comments - Page 15

Posted: 16 years ago
For Halwa I use the sugar syrup.

Recipe - Sooji Halwa (Ravva Kesari/Suji ka Halwa)

(Cream of wheat pudding)

Summary:

Sooji halwa is one of the easiest dessert/sweet to make. It takes no longer than 15 - 20 minutes. Halwa taste good when eated hot and fresh. In South India, cashew and raisins are used. In North India, almonds are used. I like to use almonds instead of raisins and cashews (raisins get soggy when cooked).

Ingredients:

Suji - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/2 cup (according to sweet level)
Butter/Ghee - 1/2 cup
Cardimum - 1 teaspoon
Saffron - 1/2 teaspoon
Almonds - 1/3 cup (blanched)
Water - 3 cups
Preparation:
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Roast suji till it turns golden brown (about 6- 7 minutes) on medium high tempareture.

Add the water slowly to the roasted suji and stir continuously. I like to boil water simultaneously at the time of roasting suji, this reduces the cooking time.   Add blanched almonds and sugar to halwa. Some people use sugar syrup (see tips for sugar syrup).

After the suji is mixed add cardimum powder and mix it well, cover it and simmer the temp. Let it cook for 10 minutes, garnish with saffron and serve hot.

Preparation time: 15 - 20 minutes
# Servings - 4

Tips:
For blanched almonds:
Boil water in a sauce pan and add raw almonds to it let it cook for 5 minutes. Let it cool and peel the skin off cut them into thin slices.
For sugar syrup:
Melt sugar in the water and microwave it for 5 - 6 minutes. Pour the syrup after suji is roasted well.

Badam Halwa

Ingredients:
Badams/Almonds - 1 Cup (8 oz)
Sugar - 1 1/2 Cup (adjust to your taste*)
Water - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Milk - 2 to 3 tbsp
Ghee - 4 to 5 tbsp
Food color (optional)

Method:
First soak the almonds in water (preferably in hot water) and remove the skin from the almonds.
Grind them using milk into a fine smooth paste. Add a little milk at a time as needed.
*Measure the paste and take sugar in the 1: 1.5 ratio (badam paste and Sugar), which would be approximately 1.5 cup of sugar, as this ground paste would yield to 1 cup roughly.
Take the sugar with cup of water in a thick-bottomed vessel and let it come to a rolling boil. (This is usually the 1st kambi patham (1 string consistency). Do the check as well to make sure and add the ground paste and mix well. Let this cook for 4-5 minutes with constantly stirring in between so that it doesn't stick/burn at the bottom. Now time to add ghee…As you keep stirring add the ghee in constant intervals. The halwa will absorb the ghee quickly as you add.. : )
Now you can add any food color (if you like) and add cardamom powder as well.
Keep stirring and when it forms into a dough consistency and rolls into a ball with out sticking or touching to the bottom of the vessel, you can transfer it to a bowl and decorate with sliced almonds. Your badam halwa is ready! Enjoy!!

Made this over the weekend as it was our Anniversary πŸ˜ƒ and I got to tell you about the color here... πŸ˜‰ I usually make this in light pale/yellowish color but this time it was my kid's choice to turn the halwa into this beautiful orange color!! 😊

p.s. Picture Added finally!

Edited by supree - 16 years ago

A Sweet story! 😊
While my daughter joins me sometimes while I watch Food/Cooking shows on T.V., my younger one (4 yrs) doesn't care much. So I was surprised when he suddenly asked for something, which was shown on the T.V. (on the food channel) and it was so very cute the way how he described the food item as neither of us know what's it called!! πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜‰

From his description, I got what he was referring to and I some what remembered the ingredients that were used in making it as well β€¦πŸ˜†  So I decided to give it a try and ….Voila, it came out good!! We all enjoyed these yummy treats and I enjoyed this experience as well! A name was quickly chosen to this Chocolate dessert! πŸ˜ƒ 😳  Thought I would share it with you all....

Chocolate Bundles

Ingredients:
Pastry sheet (available at frozen section)
Egg – 1
Heavy Whipping Cream – 1 small carton
Chocolates – What ever you like (we used the Truffles)
Milk Chocolate chips/bar – 1/2 cup (to make chocolate sauce!)

Method:
First per the package instructions make the pastry sheet ready.
Cut each sheet (usually comes in 3 folds) into 3 square shaped sheets, roughly about 4 inches squares.
With the rolling pin, just roll them slightly to make them into bigger squares.
Mix 1 egg + the cream (keep half carton for making sauce), beat them nicely together.
Now brush the egg cream mixture using a pastry brush on the pastry squares.
In the middle place 2-3 pieces of your favorite chocolate pieces and by lifting all 4 corners and bringing them into the center and with a slight twist make it look like a small sack shaped ones. Repeat the same with remaining sheets.
Now brush the egg cream mixture on top of these small bundles.
Place them all on a cookies sheet and back it for 12-15 minutes in 350 degrees until they all turn into nice & golden.

In a small sauce pan pour the remaining cream and when it becomes hot add the chocolate chips and mix it well. When the chocolates completely melts in it, will make a thick sauce and this is what I used on the plate to serve the Chocolate bundles! They turned out really nice and I was so happy when I saw the Smile πŸ˜ƒ on my little one's face! Priceless!! πŸ˜ƒ

p.s. In addition to these sweet treats, I also prepared the veggie puffs as well using the pastry sheets. 😊

ENJOY!!

First recipe is a sweet. Carrot Halwa.

CARROT HALWA

Ingredients:

500 grms carrots peeled and grated very fine
1 cup milk
3 tbs milk powder
70 grms ghee
1 cup sugar    more or less
1 tbs roasted in ghee cashew nuts
1 tbs roasted in ghee raisins
A pinch of cardamom powder.

Method:
Heat ghee in a non-stick pot. Add the grated carrots and milk.
Cook on medium heat stirring constantly
Turn down the heat and allow the carrot to cook until soft.
Mash it nicely with a potato masher.
Add in the sugar and milk powder
Stir constantly until the mixture is thick enough to come
Away from the sides in one lump.
Now add the nuts, raisins and the cardamom powder.
Stir once and turn onto a greased dish.
Serve warm or cold.

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago

Payathamparuppu Payasam

Payathamparuppu/Pasi payiru (Moong dal) - 1 Cup
Vellam/ Jaggery - 1 Cup
Milk - 1+ Cup
Evaporated Milk - 3/4 Cup
Yellakkai (Cardomom) - 2 pods
Ghee - 2 tsp
Cashews - 7 to 8
Raisins - 12 to 15
Coconut pieces - 3 tsp

Procedure:
First in a pan, put a tsp of ghee and fry the raisins and the cashews till they turn into brown in color. Fry the thinly sliced coconut in ghee and keep it aside.
Then after removing the nuts+ fruits, in the same pan put the moong dal and fry till it turns to slightly golden color. Add water to the dal and cook it. (here you can either pressure cook or can do the stove top cooking).
In a separate vessel, take about 1/2 cup of water and prepare the jaggery syrup and filter it to remove any dirts. Add this syrup to the cooked dal and let it cook further together. When it starts to boil add milk to this and let it cook again for some time.
Now add the cardamom powder, Evaporated milk and when it comes to boil again add the ghee fried cashews and raisins & the coconut pieces and switch off the stove.
Your payatham paruppu payasam is ready. Server it hot or cold, your choice and it's tasty either way! πŸ˜ƒ

Dear Caryn here is another payasam for you.

RAVA PAYASAM

Ingredients:

1 litre milk
400 ml water
100 grms rava roasted with a tsp of ghee
200 grms sugar
1 tbs   cashew nuts roasted with ghee
1 tbs raisins   roasted with ghee
tsp cardamom powder
2 tbs ghee

Method:

In a pot add the milk and water and boil it.
When it boils, slow the fire and add the rava
Little by little, keep stirring to see that no lumps form.
When the rava is cooked add the sugar and stir.
Now if your payasam is thick you can add more milk.
Now add the cashew nuts and raisins and the cardamom powder.
Stir well and remove from the stove and serve.
Your payasam should look watery when you remove from stove.
It will become thick when it cools .

Note: those who like can cook the payasam in milk

alone without adding any water

Dear Ambi, here is the rava ponggal recipe.

RAVA PONGGAL

1 cup rava roasted with little ghee.
cup moong dal   roasted
1 green chilli chopped
2 tsp chopped ginger
1 tsp black pepper coarsely pounded
1 tsp cumin seeds
5 cashew nuts roasted in ghee
1 sprig curry leaves
4 tbs ghee
Salt
Water

Method:

Boil the roasted moong dal with 1 1/2 cups of water.
The dal must be cooked, but still holds its shape.
In a wok add 2 tbs of ghee, add the cumin seeds
Curry leaves, green chillies, ginger and pepper .
Saut nicely and add 3 cups of water and enough salt.
Let it boil, now slow the fire and add the cooked dal.
Now slowly add the rava little by little and see that no
Lumps are formed. Stir continuously till rava is completely
Cooked. Add the rest of the ghee, cashew nuts and stir nicely.
It should have the ponggal consistency.
Serve it hot with sambar or coconut chutney.

Note: Those who like can add 1 dry red chillie broken into pieces
While tempering.

Coconut Burfi:

Ingredients:

* Coconut powder - 2 cup
    * Ricotta cheese - 1 lb (15 - 16 ounces)
    * Sugar - 1cup
    * Butter/Ghee - 1/2 cup
    * Milk powder - 1 cup
    * Cardamom - 1 teaspoon
    * Pistachio powder - 1 tablespoon

Process:
Melt butter in a heavy sauce pan at medium high temperature. Add ricotta cheese, stir continuously for 2 -3 minutes.

Add milk powder to the cheese mixture. Stir continuously for 3 minutes, make sure there are no lumps.

Add sugar and cook well until water evaporates. Takes about 8- 10minutes.

Add coconut, cardamom powder and mix it well. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.

Grease a plate with butter/ghee and transfer the coconut-cheese mixture. Spread it evenly with a buttered spatula or grease your hand to avoid getting the mixture stuck to your hand.
Decorate the top layer of the burfi with pistachios powder, and cut to desired shapes. Tip: Let the burfi cool down before you separate the pieces. Otherwise you will get uneven shapes.

To make ladoo, instead of setting the mixture in a plate, let the mixture cool. Make small lemon size cheese balls out of the dough. Roll them in the pistachio powder.

Preparation time - 15 - 20 minutes.
# Servings : 25 - 30 pieces (depending on the size)

Vani and Sue akka wanted the sweet rava ponggal.
Here it is.

Vani thanks also for the feedback on butter prawns.

SWEET RAVA PONGGAL

Ingredients:

1 cup rava roasted with 2 tsp of ghee

cup channa dal lightly roasted and boiled till soft.

5 cashew nuts roasted in ghee

10   raisins roasted in ghee

tsp cardamom powder

1 cup sugar

cup coconut scrapings       optional

3 tbs of ghee

3 cups water

A pinch of salt.

Method:

In a wok add the ghee, when it is a little hot add in the water

And the channa dal and allow the mixture to boil.

Slow the fire and add in the roasted rava little by little

Stirring all the time. Once the rava is cooked, add the sugar

The cashew nuts, the raisins and stir continuously till

The sugar melts and one boil comes.

Add the grated coconut, and cardamom powder, mix nicely.

Remove from stove when it comes to thick consistency.

Serve hot or cold.

In addition to regular Urad dal Vadas, I prepared this Curd vada as well yesterday!!

Curd Vada (Thayir Vadai)

Ingredients:

For Vadas:
Urad dal without skin – 2 Cups
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Green chilies – 2 or 3
Salt - to taste
Oil - for deep-frying

For preparing the Curd:
Thick curd  –  2 Cups (make sure it's not sour)
Water  –  1 Cup
Green chilies – 2
Grated coconut – 1 tbsp
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – for garnishing.

Seasoning:
Curry leaves
Red Chilly – 1 (broken into 2 pieces)
Mustard – 1/2 tsp
Grated Ginger – 1 tsp
Oil

Method:
Wash and Soak the Urad dal for 5 hours or over night. Grind it along with G.chilies & Ginger. Add salt while grinding and add very little water so that you can get the vada shape without much trouble. Keep the oil ready for deep-frying. Take a small lemon sized amount of batter and make it into a Vada shape. Tip: A thick plastic paper can be used for this step.
Put it in the oil and fry the vadas till they turn to a golden brown color. Keep a bowl of water and take the fried vadas that you removed from the oil into this bowl and leave it there for about 20 secs. Then squeeze out the excess water from each vada by gently pressing it and keep them aside.
To prepare the curd, grind the Chilies, Ginger and Coconut into a fine smooth paste. Beat the curd (to make sure there are no lumps left there) nicely. Add the water and bit of salt and the ground paste. Do the seasoning with the ingredients listed above and add it to the curd as well. Mix it all well and keep it ready.
Now take a big flat tray and pour a thin layer of curd in it and place all the vadas . Pour the remaining curd mixture evenly all over the vadas, covering them completely.
Chill the vadas for sometime before serving. Garnish it with grated carrots & cut coriander leaves, at the time of serving. Yummy Curd Vada is ready & Enjoy!!