Other Topics

Sweets and Cakes - No comments - Page 2

Sue Nair thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

This content was originally posted by: jenim

I see some custard dishes being discussed here. I love it, just don't know how or where to use it. Does any one have a recipe for fruit salad which can be prepared with canned or fresh fruits, where I can use custard?

I think I've tasted something with fruits and custard before, but don't know how to make it. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Jenim - I have a simple Fruit Custard recipe which you could try out.....

FRUIT CUSTARD

INGREDIENTS

1-cup Bird's Custard Powder

3 cups fresh milk or full cream milk

1 tin Libby's Fruit cocktail or any selection of fruits of your choice

2 Tsp sugar

PREPARATION:

Heat milk in a pan and after 10 minutes in low medium heat slowly add the custard powder little by little - keep stirring. Then add 2tsp of sugar. Let the mixture to boil (keep stirring otherwise it gets lumpy). After 5 minutes turn off the stove and let the mixture to cool down.

After 45 minutes when it's cold add the fruits along with the juice (1/2 tin). You could add extra juice, sugar and cherries if you desire. Refrigerate and serve it cold as dessert.

Tip: you could add a little milk to the custard powder and then dilute it to a smooth paste before adding a little at a time to the milk.

Edited by meli - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

supree thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

While I came here I remembered this quick cake recipe which I tried before & it proved to be a good tasty one! The other plus of this recipe is cooking/baking time of 5 mins!! Yes, it's just 5 mins and that too in the MW. So if you are in a mood/craving for a cake but doesn't want to spend more time in the kitchen, here is your recipe... πŸ˜›   A quick Microwave Carrot cake recipe.

Microwave Carrot cake – recipe

Ingredients:

Grated carrot           1 cup
Flour         & amp; nbsp;     1 cup
Condensed milk         &a mp;n bsp;   cup
Salt & soda salt     1 pinch
Baking powder              1 pinch
Sugar powder            cup
Butter                 cup
Honey         & amp; nbsp;     2 tsp
Raisins & walnuts and Cashew nut pieces     handful
Vanilla essence      2 tsp

Method:
1. First melt the butter for 20 sec in a big bowl.(I use a MW safe bowl so the butter can be melted in microwave. But it's doesn't have to be done using a MW and you can use any bowl you like for this.)
2. Add all the ingredients and mix well.
3. Butter the bowl in which you are going to bake the cake. (Tip: take some what a flat bowl which is MW safe of course. I used a bowl from my corningware set.)
4. Pour the content so it comes of the bowl
5. Bake for 5 minutes in the Microwave
6. Let it cool for few minutes and then transfer it to a plate. (Upside technique)
7. Decorate it if you like (with powered sugar) and enjoy the cake!

Yummy one with some healthy stuffs too (Carrots, Nuts..) in a very short time. Hope you all will like it too. Enjoy!! πŸ˜›

Edited by serial123 - 16 years ago
supree thumbnail
Coconut Milk Pulav (aka) ThengaiPal Satham
------------------------------------------

Fresh (OR) canned coconut milk     - 1 1/2 cups
Mixed vegetables
(cut beans, carrot and peas)     - 1 cup
Basmati rice           - 1 cup
Green chillies        &nbs p; - 3-4 nos. (according to your spicy level.)
Garlic cloves           - 4
Cinnamon stick            - 2 (1 inch pieces)
Gloves                 - 4-5
Coriander leaves     - 1/2 bunch
Oil                 - 1-2 spoons
Roasted cashews        - A handful (for decoration)

The method is simple: First wash the rice in water, drain and keep it aside. Grind the green chilies & garlic cloves to make it into a smooth paste.
Pour oil in a big thick-bottomed vessel and when the oil is warm put the cinnamon sticks & gloves and then after about 10 seconds, put ground green paste and saut it well. Add cut vegetables at the time and saute it along with wet masala.

Now add the fresh cut coriander leaves and saut well. Mmm…it smells good already... 😊 Now add salt and pour the coconut milk. Bring it back to boil. Now add the rice and mix it well. When this mixture starts to boil again, cover the vessel with lid (so it doesn't release the steam) and reduce the flame to low-medium fire. Wait for 20 minutes for the rice to get done completely. Do not open for that 20 mins time.

Switch off the stove and after 5 minutes, open and stir the rice gently. Garnish with a handful of fresh cut coriander leaves and enjoy your coconut milk Pulav! Also roast some cashews in ghee and decorate the rice along with coriander leaves.

One special thing about this rice is, this is a kids friendly recipe - Kids will like it naturally as it's not too spicy and it has that wonderful sweet taste and color because of the coconut milk you add to it.
This is one of my favorites since my childhood and I grew up eating this rice with so much love. πŸ˜ƒ My Mom prepares this with freshly extracted coconut milk along with lots and lots of corriander leaves!. Yum    πŸ˜‰   
Sue Nair thumbnail
Here is Bread Pudding for pudding lovers like me..! πŸ˜ƒ

BREAD CUSTARD PUDDING

INGREDIENTS
400g stale bread - cut off crust, slice into triangles and butter generously on one side

(A):
75g raisins
75g sultanas
1 tsp grated orange rind

(B):
700ml UHT milk (full cream)
50g melted butter

(C):
1/4 tsp salt
75g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
5 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon powder

METHOD
Grease an oven-proof dish lightly with butter or margarine. Scatter some fruits on the bottom of the dish. Mix (B) well. Dip the bread slices in mixture, then arrange the triangles in neat rows overlapping each other.

After the first row is neatly arranged, scatter freely with (A). Arrange the next layer and place the rest of the mixed fruits over. Beat up (C) and strain through a fine sieve into the remaining milk. Blend together and pour over the bread and fruit in the dish.

Allow to stand for 30 minutes for the bread to absorb the custard mixture. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon powder and place halved red cherries around.

Bake pudding in a preheated oven at 160 C for about an hour or till set. If top of pudding is not sufficiently brown then grill it till golden.
dee63 thumbnail
For those who like mangoes, here is a quick mango pudding recipe-

1 can of mango pulp
1 can of condensed milk
8oz cream cheese
8oz whip cream
1-1/2 packets of gelatin (mix with little hot water)

Mix all the above ingrediants well and at the end add the gelatin... Set in the fridge for couple of hours...brown some sugar and put in chopped cadju nuts and make caramalized nuts. Next with a rolling pin break it down and top the pudding with these nuts...
supree thumbnail

Appada...atlast I posted an image in a good , decent size! This is what I made for the special day, today! 😳

Double fun chocolate Burfi

My usual version of making the burfi with just one color, got a make-over this time when I came across a recipe recently on the net which inspired me to try it out in a new style... Since it came out so wonderful, I wanted to share it with you all. πŸ˜ƒ

Ingredients:
Maida (All purpose flour) 1 cup
Milk Powder 2 tbsp
Sugar 1-1/2 cups
Water 1 cup
Ghee 1/2 cup + 2 Tsp
Any Chocolate Drink Powder 2 tbsp
Rose/Vanilla Essence few drops
Sliced Almonds - a few for decoration.

Method:
Fry Maida in ghee on slow fire till you get its good aroma. When done add Milk Powder to it and divide it to 2 portions. Grease a plate and keep it aside.

In a thick bottomed vessel make Sugar syrup - sugar 3/4 cup + water 1/2 cup. When the syrup is 2 string consistency add the 1 portion of maida & a few drops of rose essence into it and mix well. Add a little ghee (1 spoon) and mix well and pour this on a greased plate. Level it well.

In the same Vessel, repeat the above steps.. Yes, add remaining Sugar & water and make Syrup of 2 string consistency. Now, in the Sugar Syrup add chocolate drink powder or cocoa powder plus the second portion of Maida, add few drops of essence and mix it thoroughly.

Now spread this lump on top of White layer. Level it with a little amount of Ghee. While it is still hot, Cut into pieces of any required shape and decorate it with almond slices. There is your Double fun Chocolate Burfi and Enjoy!! 😊

Edited by serial123 - 16 years ago
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail

This Glass Jelly is for Atina ma.

Glass Jelly.
Ingredients:
25 grms agar2   ( china grass)
4 1/2 cups of water
1 1/4 cup sugar.
Few drops of rose essence.
colours red, green.yellow.

Method:
Soak the china grass in water for 1/2 an hour.
Then boil the china grass till it dissolves nicely.
Add the sugar and boil till the the sugar is dissolved.
Now off the fire and add the essence.
Divide the mixture into 4 parts.
Leave 1 part in the pot itself. (keep it lightly warm)
Pour the 3 parts into 3 different flat containers.
Colour the three parts into three colours.
When the agar2 sets, remove and cut them
into small diamond shapes.
Now mix the three colours and spread them in
a tray.Level them nicely.
Now pour the uncoloured jelly over them slowly..
See that all the parts are covered.
When nicely set, cut it into neat diamond shapes again.

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago
Sue Nair thumbnail
Hi Friends...here's a simple delicious candy for the weekend..!! 😊

SIMPLE COCONUT CANDY

Ingredients:
3 cups grated coconut (white only)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 small can (175ml) evaporated milk
50 gms butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
A few drops red or green colouring

Method:
Place coconut, sugar and milk in a non-stick pan and stir continuously over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add butter, essence and colouring, stirring until mixture thickens and forms a soft ball.

Press into a greased tray, approximately 15 x 18 cm. Level the surface using a plastic sheet pressing it slightly to be firm. Leave to set and cool.

When still warm, cut into squares or diamond shapes. Cool thoroughly, before storing in an airtight container.
Sue Nair thumbnail
Here is an interesting cookie to savour.. πŸ˜‰

COCONUT OATS COOKIES

Ingredients
125g plain flour, sifted
150g castor sugar
1 cup rolled oats
90g desiccated coconut
125g butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp water

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease baking trays with butter. Put flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in oats and desiccated coconut. Stir the mixture so that it's well-mixed.

Combine butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until butter has melted and the mixture turns smooth. Remove from the heat. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda into water, then add to the butter mixture. (Mixture will foam up instantly).

Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir well to combine all the ingredients. Take out about a tablespoon of the resulting mixture. Roll lightly into a ball and place on the prepared trays.

Flatten with a fork to create a pattern. Bake in preheated oven for 18 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Leave cookies in the tray for 2 – 3 minutes before transferring them on to a wire rack to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Edited by Sue Nair - 17 years ago
Sue Nair thumbnail
Would you all like to try these cookies for a change?? 😊

CORNFLAKES COOKIES

INGREDIENTS
4 ounces butter
4 ounces white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup mixed fruits
1 cup crushed cornflakes cereal

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and cream again.
3. Mix in the flour, baking powder and mixed fruits or dried raisins. Mix until well combined.
4. Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into lightly crushed corn flakes.
5. Place cookies 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes. Yield 3 dozens.