Dear Sue akka, here is the recipe for Athirasam

Athirasam

Ingredients:
500 grms raw rice soaked for 1 hour
300 grms jaggery or brown sugar
tsp cardamom powder
Ghee

Method:
Drain the rice in a colander. Spread it on a paper and let it dry partially.
The rice should be slightly wet. Grind the rice and sieve it once.

Add one cup of water and make the syrup. Before it comes to boil, filter it.
Boil again stirring frequently. When the syrup is bubbling, slow the fire.
To test wheather it has come to the right stage ( patham ) , drop a little
Syrup in a cup of water. You can gather the syrup into a smooth ball. (not stiff ball)
You have to test this method several times after the syrup has come to a boil.
Off the stove. Sprinkle the flour mixed with the cardamom powder, littlt by little
And mix well. The batter must not be very stiff, a bit soft. If we make a ball from it
It must be smooth, and should not break or crack.

Pour the batter into a greased bowl. Pour about 1 tbs of ghee on top of the batter
And keep. You can make the athirasam the next day. (normally I keep for 4 days)
On the day of making athirasam, you remove the batter and knead well.
Incase your batter has harden, just sprinkle a little hot water and knead well.

Heat oil in a wok on a medium flame. Pat the dough in your palm into a disc.
Make a hole in the centre, and deep fry. The athirasam should puff up when you fry.
It will be a bit crisp on the first day. The next day it will become soft.
Well with pratice only , one can make perfect athirasam.

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago
Posted: 16 years ago
Carrot Orange Oats Cup Cakes

Here you go ....another cake, cup cakes this time!

This is an easy and yet tasty, eggless cupcakes. A very healthy one too. Got this recipe a while back from the internet, and mainly wanted to try it because of it's ingredients!!

When I tried it finally, it was an awesome result and I'm sure I will try it often as this was eaten as a snack and as a Break-fast item by my kids (including the big Kid, hubby! 😉 ) with so much interest and I was so happy for kids eating all the good stuffs, which I doubt otherwise!!

Anyhow without further suspence.... here is the recipe.

Ingredients

Dry
All purpose flour, Wheat flour, Oats - each 1/2 cup
Carrots (grated) - 1 Cup
Broken nuts (badam and cashews, slightly roast and give a run in mixie) - 1/2 cup
Raisins - 1/2 cup
Sugar - 1/2 to 3/4 cup
Dry ginger powder - 1 tsp
Baking soda 1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract/Rose essence - a few drops
Salt 1/8 tsp

Liquid
Fresh butter milk (Thick) - 1/4 cup
Orange Juice - 1/2 cup
Butter 2 tbsp

Almond slices for decoration

Method:
Mix all the dry ingredients well and keep it ready.
Line the muffin tray with paper cups and grease it well with melted butter.
Melt the butter and mix well with orange juice and butter milk.
Fold the dry ingredients with the liquid slowly. Don't over mix it.
Preheat the oven at 350oF.
Spoon the mixture into muffin pans and bake it at 350oF for 12-15 mts. (Do a cake stick test to make sure they baked evenly.)
Remove from the oven and leave it to cool.
Decorate them by placing few almond slices.

A tasty, healthy cup cakes are ready to serve.

Enjoy!! 😊

We always have some sort of snack for unexcepted visitors. One of it is Tattai.

Thattai

Ingredients:
200 grms rice flour
50 grms chick peas flour
50 grms besan flour
50 grms channa dal      soaked in water for 30 minutes
1 tsp cumin seeds
tsp chillie powder
1 tsp sesame seeds
Few curry leaves crushed
2 tsp melted butter
A pinch of hing
Salt
Oil to fry

Method:
Mix everything together,add the drained channa dal.
Add water little by little to make the dough as murukku dough.
Make small lime size balls and flatten each ball as thin as possible.
Deep fry until brown and crispy.
A very nice snack for evening tea.

here is the easiest receipe in the world...does not take time and is damn tasty....a good snack and very popular food of the boers here!!

Pumpkin Fritters

* 4 cups cooked pumpkin, mashed
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 cup flour
    * pinch of salt
    * 1 teaspoon baking powder
    * 30 ml (2 tablespoons) heaped of sugar

Combine all ingredients, making a soft batter and fry spoonfuls in shallow oil till both sides are lightly browned. Drain on paper and serve warm with cinnamon sugar or caramel sauce.

caramel sauce:      
    * 250 ml sugar
    * 500 ml water
    * 500 ml milk
    * 30 ml margarine
    * 20 ml cornstarch mixed to a paste with water

Cook together and add one teaspoon caramel essence before serving over pumpkin fritters.Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
here zee....for you

Almond London Cookies

Ingredients:

125g butter
75g icing sugar
1 egg yolk
300g whole almonds, toasted
450g chocolate, melted
Almond nibs, toasted
Small paper cases

Sift

225g plain flour
1/2 tsp rice flour

Method:

Cream butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg yolk. Stir in sifted dry ingredients and blend well to form a dough.

Take a small piece of dough, the size of a marble, wrap it around the almond and shape into a ball.

Place dough on lightly greased trays. Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 20-25 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove and cool on wire racks.

Put cookies inside small paper cases and top with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with almond nibs. Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
This is for all those who want instant sweets.

Ingredients:
1 can condensed milk
Equal measure non-fat powdered milk
half stick butter (roughly one-eighth of a pound, or in metric terms, about 75 grams.

Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.

Add the condensed milk. Then clean out the can and use it to measure out the milk powder.

Mix all three well, and heat for three minutes at full power, stir,then two minutes at 60 percent power in the microwave. Heat for two more minutes at 50 percent power, stir, then again for two minutes. Stir after each round of heating. Since individual microwaves vary, watch for the point where the mix comes apart from the butter, without burning or turning red in color. You can add food coloring if you like, but I prefer the natural color.

When the mix comes together, take out from the microwave, allow to cool a little till you can hold it comfortably in your palm. Take small quantities, say a nellikai sized ball, and form a smooth ball using your palm. Then flatten it slightly, and make designs using a cookie cutter.

This recipe makes about 25 pieces.

I would love to take pictures but my camera is misbehaving. Looks like it needs new batteries.
This is my fool proof mysore pak recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup ladu besan (or you can use regular besan, but roast and then sift it, so it is fine)
2 cups sugar
1 to 2 cups ghee (I try to cut the calories and fat, so I just use 1 cup)

Mix the besan and sugar with a little water, so that it resembles thick dosai batter. Add a little ghee to this, and stir over low heat in a thick bottomed pan. Add ghee as you stir, till the mixture reaches a thick paste consistency. Now continue to stir till it begins to leave the sides of the pan, and is frothy and begins to lighten in color or veluthufy (that was how my mother used to describe it). When you pour it on the greased plate, it should spread and as it does, it should have air escaping in bubbles on the top. That is what makes it light. Before it cools, cut with a sharp greased knife.

I like this method of making mysore pak, because it eliminates the need for me to check the consistency of the sugar syrup.

You should get about 25 pieces in this recipe. As you increase the ghee, it becomes lighter and tastier (and adds on the calories!!)

Enjoy!

Cashew Coconut Burfi

Who doesn't like Cashew burfis?!…. I found a few recipes on the Internet and picked this as this was a different combination than the usual ones and needed less ghee! Cashew grinded with fresh coconut in milk gives unique taste to this burfi. This is an easier and lighter version of this rich sweet.

Ingredients:

Cashew 1 cup
Fresh grated coconut (don't add the black part) 1 cup
Milk 1 cup
Sugar as given below
Ghee 2 tbsp (Yes only 2 tbsp)

No need to add any spices to this to get the real taste of cashew. If you prefer you can add a little elaichi powder.

Preparation:

Soak the cashew in water for 6-8 hours till it is soft. Wash and drain the water. Grind it with coconut and milk to a fine paste (add only enough milk to grind it into smooth paste). Measure this in a cup. You need to add 1 times sugar to this batter. If the grinded paste is measured to 1 cup add 1 cups sugar to it. Add the remaining milk too with this. Mix everything well in a MW vessel. (If you reduce the sugar, the result may vary). Grease a plate with tbsp ghee.

Start cooking on high for 10 minutes stirring in between by adding the remaining 1 tbsp ghee at intervals. After 10 minutes reduce the heat to medium and cook for 2-3 mts only. (This may slightly differ depending on your MW power as well.) You must have reached the consistency by this time. Spread it on the greased plate and cut it.

You won't find it very heavy as the amount of ghee is reduced to the minimum. If you are going to prepare it on the stove, add more ghee (approximately 1/2 cup). It was very tasty with the rich cashew taste. Hope you will enjoy!!

Edited by supree - 16 years ago
Poli

A traditional south Indian sweet. This sweet is very delicious and it can be stored for a week also. My daughter and hubby love this, so we decided to make it as one of the sweets for Diwali! : )

Ingredients:
All purpose flour (called maida) 1 1/2 cups
Salt 1/4 tsp
Refined oil 4-5 tbsp

Kadalai Paruppu (Channa dhal) 1 cup
Jaggery 1 cup
Freshly grated coconut – 1/2 to 3/4 cup (as per your taste)
Cardamon powder 1 tsp

Preparation:

First sieve the maida (if needed). Add salt – mix well. Add enough water to prepare soft dough. Need to put a lot of oil at this point (remember, there will not be any oil needed while you are cooking this.) The consistency should be thinner than the Chappathi dough consistency, but not too watery either. At the end add 1 tsp oil and cover it with a moisture cloth. Keep it for some time, may be for 1/2 hour.

Meanwhile, soak the channa dhal in water overnight and you can cook it on the stove stop until the dhal becomes soft, OR you can cook for 1 whistle in pressure cooker. Strain the water fully. Keep the dhal in the strainer for sometime to remove excess water. Grind this into fine paste preferably in a grinder without adding water. (Actually if you use your potato masher you can smash it nicely without the use of grinder and this is what I prefer doing.)

Now take a bottom thick vessel. Add jaggery with 1/4 cup of water to it. Once it is melted filter for impurities. Then keep it boiling for 5 minutes. Now add the grated coconut and grinded channa dhal paste to it. Keep stirring. In 15 minutes it will become thick. At the end add elaichi powder and mix it well. Here the consistency should be thick, so that you can make round shaped balls out of this poornam. When it is cooled, make poornam balls and keep it aside.

Make gooseberry sized balls with the maida dough and pat it on a thick plastic sheet into round flat shape. Place a ball of poornam on it, in the middle, gently bring out the maida layers from all sides and cover the poornam completely. Now you will see a poornam ball covered with a thin layer of maida all over. Now pat it again into a round flat shape. This time it will become somewhat to the size of a small chappathi. (again there might be slight difference in the size depending on your poornam ball size! )

Note: Make sure you apply a little oil every time on the plastic sheet you are using and also keep touching a bit of oil as you make these flat shaped polis so that it won't stick to the sheet or your fingers.

Heat a tava, put the poli and no need to add any oil for it to cook, as you had added a lot of oil while kneading the maida dough itself, this will cook just fine. Turn over until both sides are cooked well. Add a 1/4 tsp of melted ghee on it (optional) and serve hot.

Enjoy & Happy Deepavali !! 😊

My dear friends, let me give you all chilled sweet drink.

Badam Kheer.

1 cup almonds soaked for about 1/2 an hour.
6 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
pinch of saffron
chopped pistachios for garnishing.

Method:
Remove the brown skin of the almonds.
Use little milk and grind it to a little coarse paste.
Then boil the remainder milk.
Add the almond paste, sugar and safforn
and boil for about 15 minutes, till the raw smell goes.
Add in the cardamom powder. Remove and chill.
Serve with the chopped pistachios.