hyd (1, 2) synopsis and character sketch

pj04 thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

HANA YORI DANGO (BOYS/DUMPLINGS OVER FLOWERS) (PART 1 AND PART 2)

SYNOPSIS (PART 1)

Eitoku academy is a prep school for rich and mighty. The school is controlled by a bratty and bully group F4. The  4 members of this group are all lone heirs to immense fortunes and unthinkable power.The leader of the group is Domyouji , a short tempered and violent person. During one of the bully sessions thier authority is challenged by a poor but kind girl-student Makino. They are annoyed and give her a red notice(an order for withdrawing from school). However she does not back down and fights back. Domyouji's annoyance with her soon turns into fascination and later a deep love when he inadvertantly ends up kissing her at a party. however she has a crush on Hanazawa rui, another member of the F4 and hates Domyouji with a passion . On the other hand Domyouji's manipulative mother is not happy about her son's choice and obsession for Makino.what follows is a very interesting lovestory.

SYNOPSIS (PART 2)

The story starts after an year from part one . Domyouji is still in new york but he seems to be drifting away from Makino who keeps pinning for him. Worried Makino decides to travel to new york to see him only to find he has changed completely and has no interest in her any longer. Heartbroken she returns back and soon Domyouyji is back too but with a new pretty and unconventional girlfriend. He intends to marry her.To make matters worse Shigeru(the new girlfriend)who is crazy about domyouji decides to make best friends with Makino and discuss domyouyji with her all the time. Hanazawa rui can no longer control his feelings for Makino and decides to pursue and win Makino at all costs since it is obvious that Domyouji has no interest in her. What seems to become an odd love square becomes even stranger when uninterested Domyouji is not ready to let  Makino move on and treats her as his personal possesion. Even if he does not want her, he will not let anyone else have her and cares for her in an odd way. Everyone is now confused about his intentions and how makino will deal with it. What follows is an engrossing tale of deception , love and growing into a responsible adult.

CHARACTER SKETCH

DOMYOUJI :

Domyouji tsuksa is the heir to domyouji group of industries. He is insanely rich and powerful. He is almost inhumane in more ways than one and is the unquestioned leader of F4. Cold, unsympathetic ,ruthless and short tempered , he has an untamable violent streak. He enjoys beating people up and despite being short and wiry, he is an extremely good fighter. He is very cynical when it comes to relationships . He has absolutely no interest in women. His support system consists of his friends F4 and his older married sister. He is annoyed when a poor commoner Makino dares to to oppose him. he decides to run her out of school using underhanded tricks including snakes and an attempted rape. However he soon becomes fascinated and then falls in love with her ,when she does not back down and ends up punching him in cafeteria. He becomes a completely different person when he is around her. Despite realising that she has a crush on his buddy and being insanely jealous , he treats her gently and kindly ,waiting patiently for her to fall for him. Later we realise that he is also an extremely talented and gifted person who is conversant in many languages, can play piano flawlessly . He is also an astute observer and understands humanity and its flaws perfectly. His only shortcoming seems to be that he cannot speak japanese properly making him seem like an idiot and provides comic relief in the show. He will go to any lengths to protect Makino and make win her love.

HUNAZAWA RUI:

Quiet and mysterious hunazawa is also heir to a vast oil and gas empire.He has little interest in the workings of F4 but stands by them nonetheless. He is in love with his childhood friend and model shizuka. she too seems to reciprocate his feelings. He inadvertantly becomes privy to Makino's angry feelings about F4 when she chooses an abondoned staircase which is his secret haven to vent her frustation out. Something in him begans to change and he starts to become more interested in his surroundings .He ends up protecting her from Domyouji's wrath again and again. He realises that Makino has a crush on him but chooses to neglect it. However later when he ends up breaking with his girlfriend, he realises that he harbours feelings for Makino and ends up becoming a rival to Domyouji for Makino's love.

NISHIKANDO SOUJIROH

Heir to largest tea ceremony pratitioners, he is a lethal charmer. He is loyal and incredibly understanding. He is also a consumate womaniser and playboy. He keeps encouraging Domyouji to go for his first kiss or have some good time out with girls. He is caught up between his buddies when they become rivals for Makino's attention. He is also very kind and helping to Makino.

IMAMKASA AKIRA

he is the only son of biggest Yakuzza boss(underworld). He is however quite gentle and mature in his thinking . Like all the other F4 members he is extremely loyal to his buddies . Akira has a taste for older woman and dates ones atleast 10 years older to him.

MAKINO

Makino comes from a poor family who pinch pennies to pay for her education in Eitoku academy. She wants to spend her time in school as a wallflower that is unoticable and later become a lawyer. However she ends up being on forefront when she opposes Domyouji from F4 group , when he is bullying her friend. Soon they are doing everything possible to force her to leave school . She however finds an unlikely ally in Hunazawa Rui and ends up having a huge crush on him .Later when she realises that he is madly in love with Shizuka, she backs off and encourages him to pursue her. She hates Domyouji and is taken by surprise when he seems to take a genuine interest in her. She ends up becoming close to him when he protects her at great risks repeatedly and takes every opportunity to hang out with her. Later when Hanazawa rui breaks up with shizuka , she has a hard time deciding between her two suitors. Hanazawa rui is kind , sensitive and understanding and she has always loved him . On the other hand she can't seem to stop thinking about Domyouji who is arrogant, rude , selfcentered and pompous. To top it all up Domyouji's mother has taken an intense dislike for her and will go to any lengths to make her , her family and acquintances suffer .

TSUBAKI

she is the elder married sister of Tsukasa Domyouji. She is sweet, kind and is very close to her brother. She is married to a hotel mogul and resides in Los angeles. She had fallen in love with a commoner when she was young but was forced to bow down to her mother's wishes and marry the chosen businessman. She has always regreted her weakness at not fighting back. She does not take long to understand her brother's love for makino.She takes an immediate liking to Makino and is further impressed when she sees the amount of positive influence makino exercises over domyoiji. She plays cupid and the biggest supporter of makino/domyouji relationship. She constantly advises and helps clueless domyouji with his lovelife (makino). 

SHIGERU

This character appears in part 2. She is the daughter of a oil magnate that is pursuing merger with domyouji group(which is in huge trouble).She is kind , fun and beautiful. Domyouji's mother decides that with Shigeru's unconventional ways and simplicity , she is a perfect match for Domyouji and announces thier engagement. Though the couple seems to have rough start, Shigeru soon falls in love with Domyouji . On the other hand Domyouji too seems to be making effort to like her and get to know her. Shigeru soon realises the undercurrents between Makino and Domyouji. Being an optimistic person she believes that the relationship is over and makes friends with makino in hopes of getting her feedback on how to win domyouji's heart. However , soon it becomes clear to her that neither domyouji nor makino wants to move forward and they are stuck in an odd impasse. She ignores Domyouji's hints about his past love and his inability to let go of Makino. Eventually she and domyouji have a huge showdown and she is left wondering about how to salvage the situation and her place in his life.

Edited by pj04 - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PinkPixie thumbnail
thanks .. this sounds interesting ... where can i watch this show online ?
sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
awesome....character sketches are very good..heres a correlation chart for anyone who might get confused with all the characters
 Edited by sweetsorrow18 - 16 years ago
pj04 thumbnail
Dearie this is our show for next fortnight , the links will be posted by monday evening.
tiki5434 thumbnail

thanks puja! and thanks for the lovely correlation chart, didi! 😛
Love HYD 😳 Hanazawi Rui and Domyouji are awesome 😃
MNMS thumbnail
AWESOME JOB Pooja! Really good synopsis and character analysis 👏

I have finally seen this Jdorama. Its an good-to-okay show with very good characterizations.

*************Spoilers ahead**********

Its got that "bad boy syndrome" in it too 🤔 I wonder why I am so pissed by this sometimes that I can't control it 😕 Okay they show a positive change in people after being in love but that is hard for me to take, since I have noticed that ppl don't change from the core. Their personality comes back after a while.. probably its not a permenant change [Okay, its a drama discussion so I better shut up on human dept. 😆 😆 😛 ] Then we have Rich guy-Poor girl romance. I mean.. quite cliches but the characterization is really good which sort of makes up for me. Domyouji/Makino has good chemistry although I prefer Rui/Makino 😳 😳 I loved how they showed the loyalty and cool friendship B/w F4 and how they all understand each other so much despite having different personalities, [Esp the beating scene.. All F4 beating each other in front of apple posters 😆 😆 😆 LMAOO That is one scene to watch.] And.. BTW was it just me or all of the F4 got better looking in the second season 😕 😆 😛 Even Yuki was looking great.

Now my take on characters:

Makino: Hats off to the writer for making Makino Tsukushi one of the STRONGEST characters in the whole series. Seriously, I am really really surprised that they made a female character so courageous and full of inner strength which can surpass that of males. Her strong endurance power during the EXTREME bullying by the whole school [throwing trash, snakes in locker, attempted rape, emptying water bucket at her, pouring wine at her in the party, etc etc] it was WAY beyond. Too much. But she didn't get her family into that details... I mean, when children are upset they do talk to their family.. but she didn't. She declared war against Domyouji single handedly [although Hanazawa Rui was helping her too, still punching a guy like Domyouji in front of everyone takes a LOT of guts]. Her pride in doing things herself e.g. taking jobs to support her family, dealing with horrible students herself despite having F3's support in second season is GREAT.

I don't know... I sort of fail to understand why she fell for Domyouji 😕 😕 😕 I know he got all beaten up for her and waited for her to fall in love. She had Rui responding to her feelings so... I really can't understand WHY she chose Domyouji 😕 😕 Maybe love really is blind 😕 😛 [One scene I was laughing madly: She was on date with Rui, she went to toilet. She was sitting in the toilet without locking the door and then DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNGGGGGGGG!! Rui came in!! LMAOOOOOO See her face! How HOW HOW embarrasing. 😆 Rui: "At least lock your door in toilet" LMAOOOOO🤣🤣🤣 Poor poor Makino wept afterwards in front of Rui and he was laughing hard. LMAOO that is one scene to watch.. I am still 😆 😆 😆 on remembering that scene.]

She was strong in the 2nd season too but the dragged plot made the drama boring for me. I had to push myself to finish it. It was mature and good but really draggy which turns me off from the drama 🤔

(Will add the rest of the characters later 😳 ]
pj04 thumbnail

MNMS: I absolutely love this show despite somewhat kiddish take on it. Interestingly this is show where domyouji actually does not change...in fact if you think about it he is still hot-tempered , violent and self centered in season 2. he mistreats makino and still expects her to fall in steps with him. I think the change that we see in him comes more from the maturity and a certain level of awareness of real world than makino herself. However it is makino that brings that change because she opens his eyes to a world different from her. Before her, he is a prisoner in his world of power and riches and everyone bows to his whims. he has no perception of real life. one scene that i found interesting was that he is at loss as to how to treat makino to good time with no money (season 2) when she takes him to pet store and hands him a puppy, his fear of that cute doggy points to the fact how clueless he really is.
        Now coming to why makino fell for him. I think he protects her but he never smoothers her or patronises her. he is not kind to her but ruthlessly encourages her to achieve her goals. somehow i think he respects her and understands her immensely. Coming back to rui, i am not sure if he could/would have taken risks domyouji takes for makino. besides women have an odd syndrome...they want to be cherished and know that they are capable of bringing positive change in thier love. i think makino falls in that mindset. The character of rui and his depth of love has not been explored in the show.

That toilet scene was so embarassing ...imagine forgetting to lock the door and your crush walking in on you while you are on seat with unmentionables down.

Edited by pj04 - 16 years ago
MNMS thumbnail
You are right that Domyouji doesn't change his violent behaviour .. One thought can be that he wanted to pose the same Dom... like you know that man-ego thing.. esp the scene where he was actually pissed off when school was bullying makino in HYD1 and stopped them.. later on he told her to lick his shoes [EWWWWWWWWW 🤢 and then NOT wanting her to do that from inside 😕 [Which kinda reminds me Akira's comment in HYD2..after Makino went to Domyouji's room in Hospital and did a retake of that "humingyay" scene 😆 with Dom suspecting her mental state. Poor girl came back being so embarrased 😆 Akira said "That's how genuine he used to be" 🤣 Maybe he lost his genuine-ness while being with Makino 😆 😆 ] But I think in season one they showed the changes brought to him like getting all beaten up while Makino being hostage, you see, those signs of concern and humanity. Nee-Chan's initial observation of positivity in Dom due to Makino's presence and even Nishida commented that Makino made Dom a human. I mean, I do agree that in HYD2 Dom was being mature due to exposure to outside world .. the makers still emphasized that the core and initial reason for this was Makino. Which is manga-like.. I mean, I know its derived from manga but in reality that doesn't happen 🤔 I have seen people don't change from core and in this series we have seen some CORE changes in Dom.. Like those outer traits of temper, shouting and being violent is still there, Somehow his "inner-compass" has taken a major shift in direction due to her. So, its kinda following the same cliche of Bad Boy turned Perfect Lover thing.

That puppy scene was CUTEEEEEEE ... so sweet 😳 It was funny seeing a scrawny violent man terrified of a little puppy 😆 Cho Chweet 😛 😳 😳

Okaay. lemme re-phrase my Q about Makino's preference for Dom. 😳 Why Makino chose Dom over Rui? Rui is extremely understanding, supportive, he loves her boldness and tough attitude, friendly, is always there for her whether for emotional need or a really hard time like when she was about to get raped or Dom's mom ordered men to make her hostage for naked pictures, he saved her from goons in NYC, was there for her each and every possible minute. I mean, That guy was ready to take the same level of risk for her as Dom did, only Dom's situations were different and more dramatic. I don't think that he was backing off or hesitant to go for her in any way. 😕 The only reason he ever backed off was to make Dom/Makino closer [e.g. dating her in HYD1...etc]
Plus Makino strangely changed Rui too, like him being more vocal and open about his thoughts and then finally going for his heart [both for Shizuka in HYD1 and Makino in HYD2] I mean.. she did bring change in both the boys! I guess I am more for Rui/Makino that is why I am getting a "Why Makino! Why not RUI??!?!?!" within me 😆 Any girl will go for a guy like Rui if you keep the bad-boy-syndrome out 😳
sweetsorrow18 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

good girls always fall for the bad guys.....😆 
thats my theory for why makino chose domiyji over rui......😆