sweet n sour thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Sangeeta Ghosh's new man
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   May 24, 2005

[email protected]
Nikkhil Arya
The latest man in Sangeeta Ghosh's screen life is Nikkhil Arya (Rudr of Kesar). He will feature as her romantic interest in Aroona Irani's new show Rabba Ishq Na Hoye. This weekly is slated to air on Zee around June-end.

Ghosh, a regular in Irani's shows, will be seen as Piya, a modern woman who works as an air hostess. Arya plays Prem, a Casanova who loves to live life kingsize.

The serial, which has a very filmi look, revolves around Piya and Prem's love story. The cast also includes Varun Badola, Kiran Kumar and Irani.

When asked about his character in Rabba Ishq Na Hoye, Arya preferred not to divulge too many details but confirmed that he had been pencilled in for the show.

"Yes, I am in the show but would not like to say anything at this stage," he says. "As Rabba Ishq Na Hoye is a weekly, I can manage the daily Kesar as well," adds the model turned actor.

Ganesh Acharya has choreographed the title track of the show, sung by Sukhwinder Singh. The serial will also be shot on location in Singapore very soon.

It is learnt that Irani had a particular image for the male lead for her show — a chocolate-faced young man. According to the buzz, certain Bollywood actors were also under consideration for the role.

[email protected]

Who is Nikkhil Arya?

1. He is a Puneite who shifted to Mumbai to become a model.

2. Has done music videos like Pankaj Udhas' Kya Mujhse Dosti Karoge and Alisha Chinai's Woh Yaar Mera.

3. Featured in a few episodes of Kahiin To Hoga (Star Plus).

4. Plays the colourful character of Rudr in Kesar (Star Plus).

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweet n sour thumbnail

Interview of Pammi's Actress.

(of Des Main Nikla Hoga Chand Drama of Star Plus Channel.)

Photo:-

Sangeeta Ghosh

Dreaming big
My main criteria for accepting a role is that I have to like the
people I'm going to work with. The role comes next because basically
I want to feel free on the sets. I take life as it comes, and frankly
I am not at all a professional actress as yet.

Like any other middle class girl, Sangeeta Ghosh dreamed of getting
herself educated till graduation level and then settle down in
matrimony. But by the time she was in her teens, she had made a
splash on the television screen. And marriage obviously took a back
seat.

When some of the directors she had worked with appreciated her work,
Sangeeta decided to settle down in the acting arena. And with that
the "middle class dream" faded away. Initially, she was fascinated by
the trappings of the showbiz world - the name, fame, money and the
attention one gets at home and outside. Whether it was because of the
age factor or immaturity, she didn't take acting all that seriously.
She also felt that acting is a kid's job. But it was veteran director
Lekh Tandon who changed her thought and perception about acting. "He
made me understand that acting is a serious pursuit and if I didn't
take it seriously I will reach nowhere," recalls Sangeeta.

As a kid she used to participate in Durga pooja shows and it was
there that Hrishikesh Mukherjee's assistant, Arun Chakravarti,
spotted her and asked her to meet his boss. Sangeeta was then just 11
years old and when she went to meet the veteran director she was dead
nervous. "Hrishida asked me to cry and I became so nervous that the
tears just rolled down my cheeks," she remembers. Obviously she
passed the test as Mukherjee finalised her for a role in Hum
Hindustani that was telecast on Doordarshan.

Along with studies, acting went on as a hobby. She did Basu
Chatterji's two tele-films, Hrishikesh Mukherjee's Rishtey, a
few "horrible" morning and afternoon Doordarshan serials and Dheeraj
Kumar's Sansaar. In Sansaar, her role was small but as the serial got
innumerable extensions, the role grew in terms of footage. Then Lekh
Tandon offered her a bit role in Kurukshetra. But the serial that
brought her into the limelight was Daraar.

"Lekhji liked my work in Kurukshetra and offered me the role of Divya
Deth's sister in Daraar. And he assured me that by the time the
serial comes to an end I would by a highly recognised face on
television. That's exactly what happened. I just loved doing the
serial because it was a great learning experience," she gushes.

Another serial that she thoroughly enjoyed doing is the Lekh Tandon-
directed Adhikar. "I didn't have a major role in it but it was
definitely an interesting romantic character," she smiles.

There are some more tele-projects she has done like Prayschit, Suhana
Safar and quite a few stand-off episodes of shows like Ajeeb Dastaan,
Aahat, Saturday Suspense and Rishtey. And currently she appears on
the tele-screen in Pankaj Roy's Agnipath, playing an illegitimate
daughter of Shahbaz Khan who tries to take revenge against him.

She has also done about ten pilots, some of which like Mehndi Tera
Naam Ki and Dhoondo Dhoondo Re Sajna are sure to come on air. The
latter is slated for telecast on STAR Plus and Sangeeta is looking
forward to its telecast because it's for the first time that she is
doing a comedy show.

A pampered kid at home and a jovial starlet on the sets, Sangeeta
says her main criteria for accepting a role is she has to like the
people she is going to work with. "The role comes next because
basically I want to feel free on the sets," she giggles. The giggle
signifies a kiddish streak in her personality. "I take life as it
comes," she confesses. "And frankly I am not all that a professional
actress as yet."

Sangeeta doesn't believe in romantic alliances and affair but she
doesn't mind verbal flirtation. "As long as it's harmless, healthy
and within limits, it's fun," she giggles again. As far as the
showbiz people are concerned, she likes those who are good at their
work and gets easily influenced by them. She also likes getting
attached to "good" people "because that's how you make friends."

Of course she is happy doing serials but if you think she is totally
satisfied doing only serials then you have got it all wrong. She is
ambitious and highly interested in doing films as well. Only so far
there are no offers.

sweet n sour thumbnail
 Cinderella turns Sizzerella!
   By: Tushar Joshi
   April 29, 2005

[email protected]
TRANSFORMED! Sangeeta Ghosh in a hot new avatar
Pics: Ashish Raje
After playing Pammi in Des Mein Nikkla Hoga Chand (Star Plus) for over three and a half years, Sangeeta Ghosh has finally taken on a new project.

Titled Rabba Ishq Na Hoye, the romantic drama will air on Zee TV in late May or early June.

"I play Piya, a free-spirited air hostess with a very strong personality.

While Pammi was a bit soft at heart, Piya is a contemporary woman. She faces her shortcomings and moves on in life."

Here, Sangeeta Ghosh gives us her take on the things that spell stylish in her dictionary!

My style
A blend of casual and dressy.

Favourite colour
Black.

The most expensive thing in my wardrobe
My diamond earrings, some saris and my silver anklet. 

Skirts or pants
Skirts.

The most sylish man/ woman on TV
Ronit Roy. As for women, I set trends and others follow.

The most stylish man/ woman in Bollywood
Fardeen Khan. Among the actresses, I like what Sushmita, Rani and Kareena wear. They have very unique style statements.

One person who's style I'd like to copy
I love Sridevi's saris.

Three things that make a man stylish
His attitude, how comfortable he is with his body and how comfortable he makes people around him feel.

The most stylish man
George Clooney. He's sexy and stylish at the same time.

Men in suits or men is casuals
Men in casuals.

Something I wouldn't wear
A sarong.

Short skirts or plunging necklines
Definitely plunging necklines!

[email protected]

sweet n sour thumbnail
Nikkhil chooses love over supernatural

By: Kanika Parab

June 17, 2005

You may recognise him from Alisha Chinoy's music video Woh Yaar Mera or you may know him as Rudr Mallya in Kesar. Either way Perry Cross Road resident Nikkhil Arya is in demand in the TV circuit. He has just made a difficult choice between Balaji's new horror show Karmic Connections and Aroona Irani's Rabba Ishq Na Hoye.

Says Arya, "It was a really tough choice but I finally decided on the latter which will be telecast on Zee from July 5. I chose this role because I was more comfortable with the schedule of this serial. But one major reason for taking this up is because the role really appealed to me."

In Rabba Ishq Na Hoye, Nikkhil plays Vivan Suryavanshi, the lead in a love story. He says, "I play the lead but the character has some negative shades as well.

So this character really gives me the opportunity to play a range of emotions. It is such a good role that almost the entire TV industry tested for it and it makes me feel great that I finally got it. It's my dream role."

"My co-stars Sangeeta Ghosh, Kiran Kumar and most of the crew have been part of Aroona Irani's production earlier. I was like a new member of the family and it's been just 10 days of shooting but it feels like a year" adds Arya.

Another thing that Nikkhil loves about the shoots are the fantastic locations.

He says, "I just got back from a 10-day shoot in Singapore and next month we will be leaving for Dubai and London. Practically every month we will be shooting abroad. Travelling to exotic locales with the entire cast and crew is great fun."

Talking about laughs on and off the sets Nikkhil relates the first funny blooper on the sets. He says, "The first thing we shot for this film was a love montage on the beach. It was a shot where we had to stand in the water and just be spontaneous and do different things.

We were standing in waist-deep water, but we weren't supposed to get totally wet. I had to pick up Sangeeta in my arms and turn around. While doing this I tripped and we both fell into the water. Our make-up, the lenses — everything was totally ruined. But everyone had a good laugh about it and the show went on!"

So will we be seeing this TV favourite on the big screen soon? Says Nikkhil, "I would be lying if I say no because everyone wants to grow.

But I will do it when the time is right and when I am offered some good roles. I do not want to be a one-film wonder. Right now I am content with TV serials."

What Nikkhil Arya loves in Bandra

Favourite restaurant
Seijo and the Soul Dish
Favourite nightspot Zenzi
Favourite place to shop Kink and Outfits
Favourite hangout Caf Mocha

sweet n sour thumbnail

Celeb Talk

Sangeeta Ghosh: "I would prefer a live-in relationship to marriage!"

She possesses the looks to kill and the oomph to set the small screen on fire, Sangeeta Ghosh better known as Pammi of 'Des main Nikla Hoga Chand ', is undoubtedly one of the hottest actresses on television. In a frank conversation with ShaadiTimes the spunky actress speaks on her career, marriage and live-in relationships.

Acting is my passion
I've always wanted to be an actress -- in fact acting is my passion. I am a trained Bharatnatyam dancer and feel acting is the best way to showcase my artistic talent. I started out on television when I was just 10 years old and Hrishikesh Mukherjee directed my first serial 'Hum Hindustani '.

My other serials 'Daraar ' and 'Mehendi Tere Naam Ki ' (on Zee Tv), further established me as an actress. But it is 'Des Main Nikla Hoga Chand ' in which my role as Pammi has made me the popular face I am today. And though I've been in the industry for nearly 10 years, I feel that DMNHC was the high point of my career and I discovered my potential as an actress.

I am tired of being a bahu  on TV
Now that I've become a household name, I don't want to do serials where my character gets lost in the crowd. I want to be remembered as a great performer and I am my biggest critic. As an actress I want to grow and do a plethora of roles, which satisfy my creative urge and help me evolve as a performer.

Also, I am sick and tired of being a bahu  on TV. Now I want to play a character, which looks realistic. I want to experiment with different kinds of roles; I would like to play a gray or negative character.

Reel is not real
You'll be shocked to know that I am completely different from Pammi in reality. I am an open-minded person and I live life on my own terms. I am candid about my feelings and possessive about people I love. I believe in the principle live and let live... but I'm a very romantic person at heart.

Love is heaven
'Heaven' is the only word that sums up the meaning of the word love. There can be no other definition of the word for me. In fact, love, lust, passion and aggression all go together and they are all part of a relationship.

Lust is very important in a relationship. It gives you the kick; it's a driving force that helps maintaining the freshness and the novelty of a relationship, while passion is another ingredient, which makes a relationship spicy and interesting. So, I guess every relationship has its own share of love, passion, lust and aggression. However, one must know how to handle it and deal with it in a matured and healthy manner.

Marriage demands commitment
Marriage is the most beautiful thing created by God. In fact I feel that marriage is an extension of love. But the meaning of marriage has changed in today's cosmopolitan world. If you are married then it demands a lot of commitment, responsibilities and duties, and It requires a lot of adjustment from both the partners. You have to compromise a lot to make a marriage work.

But, since I've been staying in Mumbai for a long time now and am in such a profession where people don't have the time to get married and settle down, I feel marriage is not a priority any more. It's become a secondary thing. Everyone is so busy that they don't have the time to think about their own lives, forget about marriage. So somehow, I am losing interest in the institution of marriage.

I don't mean that I don't want to get married. Every woman dreams of getting married one day. But when I choose to get married, I'll concentrate only on it so that I don't regret later. I value my life a lot and want to plan it and do things carefully.

Sangeeta Ghosh: "I would prefer a live-in relationship to marriage!"

Live-in relationships are better
I feel live-in relationships have come to the rescue of today's couples. I believe that live-in relationships suit today's lifestyle, where everyone is so busy in their own world. But everything has its own positive and negative points. If you get married and your marriage falls apart, then divorce becomes an ugly scar in your life, which will take a lot of time to heal.

sweet n sour thumbnail
Interview with actor Sangeeta Ghosh

"I can do romantic scenes with tremendous ease and conviction"

Posted on 12 April 2003

Sangeeta Ghosh aka Pammi of the Star Plus' Des Mein Nikala Hoga Chand (DMNHC) was an extraordinary student in school. She would top her class and would lead in sports and dramatics as well. But a bookworm and a recluse she is not.

Her reel existence in DMNHC is in stark contrast to her real existence. The seedhi-saadhi Pammi of the small screen tube dons trendy and sexy outfits in real life. In addition, she loves to perform mushy, romantic scenes! And she loves item numbers! Today, she would prefer a live-in relationship rather than a marriage!

Sorry to destroy your illusions of a demure Pammi. Read on for her candid confessions on her life, and work in a honest tete a tete with Vickey Lalwani.

When did your TV career flag off?
I started off on television when I was just 10 years old. My first serial was directed by Hrishikesh Mukherjee, it was called Hum Hindustani.

Modelling?
Oh, I have done a lot of modelling, for magazines and for the small screen. Some of the major brands I have endorsed are Donear Suitings and Nirma.

When did you get into television in a major way?
Those were the days when I had finished my college studies around 1990. I did serials like Kurukshetra, Adhikaar, Ajeeb Dastan and Daraar. Arunaji saw me in Daraar and selected me for Mehendi Tere Naam Ki. And then came DMNHC.

Do you read any books on acting?
There are several books available on how to become a good actor but I have yet to come across one person who reads them. I am no exception. Sometimes, however, I do observe other artistes' mannerisms.

" I know that I have in me whatever it takes to attain dizzy heights. I don't want to be an also-ran"

Is there a role on television that makes you go green with envy?
None. I have the best crop!

What are your strengths as an actor?
My USP is that I can do romantic scenes with tremendous ease and conviction. Romance comes naturally to me. Basically, I am a very, very romantic person at heart. That's one of the reasons why my character Pammi clicked so much. The romantic scenes have separated me from the bracket of other TV actresses; most of whom put their foot down when a scene demands proximity between a man and woman. This kind of attitude smacks of unprofessionalism.

What are your weaknesses as an actor?
I am never satisfied with my output. I am a harsh critic of myself. I always think that I could have done a particular scene better. At the end of the day, I am realistic too. At times, you have to understand that you cannot give 100 per cent every day. On certain days, nothing goes right. Besides, in serials, we do some scenes which are quite similar to each other. The monotonous work sometimes shows on the face, the artiste starkly appears disinterested and jaded.

Ever put your foot down about certain dialogues?
At times, I have. I can never do anything until I feel from within. So, you can say that I am a director's actor. A director constantly convinces his actors on how and why they should do their next scene. That pays. Thus, an artiste gets into the skin of the character. Besides, we are working in a medium where there is lots of flexibility. The scenes can be changed to suit the artiste.

A serial is not a film which is dictated by the demands of the financers and distributors wherein there are diktats about the mandatory fight scene, hero heroine ke 'racy-pacy' dance numbers, etc.

Sangeeta with Varun Badola in DMNHC
"I have done all my homework. I just need my first break to prove my worth in cinema"

Do you demand to know the weight of your character before you sign on the dotted line?
Certainly. After becoming a household name, I don't want to do serials which will utilise my face as a prop-up girl. Even in my younger days, I have nagged the director to take a look at the script. From here on, I'll have to nag him more. Often, the script narrated is not what it is. You should always be on your guard that nobody is taking you for a ride. Serials contain many actors, you can easily get lost in the crowd. I want to be remembered as a great performer. I know that I have in me whatever it takes to attain dizzy heights. I don't want to be an also-ran.

Ever goofed up a scene?
It does happen. Then I apologise and another shot is taken. Tempers don't fly for such a flimsy reason. But I remember one scene which Varun and I could not get it right for a long, long time. It was shot in Chandigarh. We were confessing our feelings to each other. Some insects had got into our hair and clothes. It was a terrible experience. God knows how many retakes we took before it got okayed!

How important are looks to you in a serial?
Today, channels are going out of the way to ensure that TV artistes look glamorous. Personally, I love to wear the best of clothes at the first opportunity. Of course if I am playing a prostitute or a 'bai', I will dress up accordingly. The body language of actresses today has become a bit confident, that's the only difference. This is unnecessarily being labelled as brash-n-brazen. Channels are also ensuring that serials have an NRI market. That's why many episodes are now shot on foreign locales. Like we shot quite a few portions of DMNHC in Bangok and London.

The first episode of 'DMNHC' showed the lead couple, Varun and you, meeting each other in a rather filmi manner - the usual 'ched chaad', your hair getting tangled in the locket of his chain, he tying your almost backless choli... Was it embarrassing to do those scenes?
Why should I be embarrassed about love scenes? Love is an essential part of any story. I had worked with Varun in one of the Rishtey episodes and so we already shared a rapport. Also, I had worked with Arunaji in one of her earlier serials and knew what she wanted. Besides, I am quite comfortable with my body, and with TV, one can only go to a particular extent. I come from a very liberal family but I am also aware about my limits.

Do you forget that you are Sangeeta when you become Pammi?
How can I? Those who say that they get into the skin of the character and lose their identity, are lying. In every scene, there's some Sangeeta in me. At times, the director wants Sangeeta to laugh/cry in the manner he has visualised Pammi to. But Sangeeta might not live up to his expectations. However, this does not imply that Sangeeta has failed. Emotions cannot be built up to the exact extent of perception, because no actor can totally evolve out from her skin. So, the director has to make a slight compromise, at times.

Do you think that TV artistes are underpaid?
'Dukhti rag pe haath rakh liya' (laughs) (You have just touched a raw nerve).

Your co-star Varun of 'DMNHC' is leaving the serial, shortly. What if you have some scenes like these with the guy who replaces him?
Yes, he is leaving. But then, I have already done more than 75 episodes of this serial. So why will I not feel at home? Let any guy come. Let there be any scene with him. I have no problems. At the end of the day, we are professionals.

Is your personal life as exciting as your television life?
Right now, there's nobody in my real life. But please don't think that I am an unromantic person. I'm a very romantic person and I would really like my man to woo me and give all his attention. In that sense, I'm really enjoying DMNHC as the character I play peps me up, it rejuvenates me. Going back, let me reveal that I have had my share of boyfriends.

Boyfriends! Were those days fun?
Oh, those were the days... In between work, I used to slip away in some corner and start chatting up with them. But on the flip side, there is a disadvantage too. It drains you. Today, I am more focussed on my work.

"Once you are in this line, you can't be rigid. Else, you'll be a big loser"

Don't you want to get married and settle down?
Somehow, I don't believe in the institution of marriage. I used to believe in it earlier, but of late, have lost faith. I have seen so many marriages failing around me. Instead, I wouldn't mind a live-in relationship. In a live-in relationship, there is a committment and there is no committment too.

How satisfied are you at this point in your career?
I am a satiated actor as far as the tube is concerned. I started as a child artiste and have worked with directors like Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Basu Chatterjee, Lekh Tandon and now Aruna lrani. But... (pauses)....

But what?
I am itching to work in films (smiles).

Is it easy for a TV actor to make it in films?
Certain people have got stuck in their television image. But why should I too get stuck? Didn't Shah Rukh Khan, Urmila Matondkar, Ashutosh Rana and Gracy Singh who started from television go on to make it big in films? Even if I get into films, I shall continue to do TV work. I know that I'll have to make some changes if and when I act in a film. I have done all my homework. I just need my first break to prove my worth in cinema.

How is it working with Aruna Irani at the helm in 'DMNHC'?
I'm not so experienced that I can talk about her. But one thing about her, she really goads you on to do your best. She gives some amazing cues while shooting. When you see the scenes, you know how much those little things have highlighted it. In short, she can easily extract out from an artiste whatever she wants.

Ram Gopal Varma is taking a keen interest in you. Right?
Well, I have auditioned for one of his forthcoming productions. I am eagerly awaiting the outcome. To be honest, I am very excited.

Game to wearing suggestive outfits if you get films?
Sure. I would definitely wear a comfortable swimsuit. In fact, I did wear one in a TV serial Suhana Safar. Once you are in this line, you can't be rigid. Else, you'll be a big loser.
sweet n sour thumbnail

"I will never be able to talk about sex with my mom"

I arrive on the sets of Rabba Ishq na Hove, at Mariam villa in Madh, the first thing I see is a huge crowd that has gathered in front of the villa. And why not? A sneak peek at Indian television's most beautiful lady is worth all the effort --- come rain, hail or storm!

Sangeeta, in a promo of Rabba Ishq na Hove!

I catch a glimpse of this lovely lady, who has often been described by many as the oomph factor on Indian television, as she readies for a shot. Then the next minute, I watch her ragging her co-star, then we see her flinging her purse at her director playfully, we see her sharing a joke with the spot boy...but as the director says action, she comes up with the perfect look and emotion.

There is no doubt about the fact that Sangeeta has the most fabulous figure in town, but frankly, she oozes a sensuality that comes through even when she is wearing a simple salwar suit. She speaks through her eyes, and there is this sincerity in her towards her profession that one cannot miss.

"I am never satisfied. I am very interfering...soon I think everybody will be fed up with me. I want to know what I am doing...You know, the script and all," says Sangeeta, getting ready for her next shot.

Much has been said about her relationship with her mentor, Aroona Irani, but Sangeeta prefers not to talk about it. "It takes people just seconds to create a mountain of a mole hill. Let me give you a logical explanation to all this. In films, you work on one project for a few months and then forget about it. Not so on television. Here, we have to work years on one show, so it is important that an artiste feels comfortable working in the unit and the case is vice versa. Aroonaji must have felt that I suit the character that she has etched out, otherwise why would she cast me? Anyways, I don't have to give anybody any explanations, I care a damn about what other people think, I am here to do my job," says Sangeeta with a laugh.

Sangeeta Ghosh: I am a die heart romantic!

I understand her situation. The lady, unlike Veera, her character in Rabba Ishq..., stays with her family in Mumbai, and celebrity status must be tiresome sometimes. We ask her about the recent article in a popular gossip magazine about her alleged link up with her producer, the lady retorts, "They asked a question and I answered it," she says candidly.

When the director calls for lunch, Sangeeta invites me to her room to share the Bengali lunch that her mother has sent for her. Out comes casserole after casserole, filled with Bong delicacies --- dal, chawal, mixed vegetables, fish and of course, rasagollas straight from Kolkata. As soon as she realises that I am a Bengali, she offers me her food and exclaims aloud when I refuse the fish --- "How can a Bengali refuse fish?" The sweets were the star attraction for the other cast members.

One question that inevitably cropped up into the conversation, since I was talking to the gal who possesses the looks to kill and the oomph to set the small screen on fire, was regarding sex on the small screen. She answers me as if she were expecting this question any moment --- Does sex sell on television, are Indian serials regressive? Would a Sex and the City work in India?

"See I don't know why we would want to ape the west. Our sensibilities are different. I will never be able to talk about sex with my mom. It is like that and it will always be like that. It is not about the fact that we haven't grown up or something, it's just about us being what we are," says Sangeeta.

What about the promos of the show, they look really bold! "Yes, you know I don't mind doing it if they are aesthetically shot. Aren't the promos looking wonderful? I was in the lake for almost the whole day and I hoped that they would look good!" Sangeeta says with obvious pride.

Attitude and loads of style, perhaps this describes Sangeeta Ghosh to the hilt. And as I bid adieu to her, she walks into the rain, ready for her shot, and somehow she leaves me with the feeling of eternity --- a sense of beauty and sensuality that will never fade with the setting sun.

sweet n sour thumbnail

Aroona:Romancing the years

She's into her 50th year in the Hindi film industry but actor-producer-director Aroona Irani would rather put the celebrations on hold as she says, "Arre, let's talk when I complete 75 years." Her exuberance is unmistakable as she readies for yet another show on television.

Called Rabba Ishq Na Hove (a one-hour weekly it will go on air on July 18) this show, like her earlier Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand is again heavy on love and romance. "I am a complete romantic and though I'm 60 today, I can still feel the passion" she says, a twinkle in her eyes.

Starring her favourite actors Sangeeta Ghosh and Varun Badola, the cast also features Nikhil Arya and Kiran Kumar. Speaking about the show she says, "Well, it's about how one shouldn't take love for granted. It's not a game, which people play. It's a serious matter. It's like fire - ya to aap us mein jal jaao ya phir us mein se nikhar ke aao.'

On repeating her favourite actor Sangita in most of her shows she says, "Why shouldn't I cast her? She's a good actress, a nice human being, a professional - she fits the script so when everything works in her favour, why not?"

Coming up next is a show called Aaj Phir Jeena Ki Tamanna Hai. "It's too early to talk about it though it would be again something to do with love. Romance can never go out of my life or shows," she signs off.

sweet n sour thumbnail
 Aroona takes on love, again
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   June 30, 2005

[email protected]
BACK AT WHAT SHE DOES BEST:
Aroona Irani
Actress-producer Aroona Irani is back on television with Rabba Ishq Na Hove, which premieres on Zee on July 19. 

This one-hour weekly at 10 pm will air on Tuesdays. Irani, who is also acting in it, takes up her favourite subject — love and relationships — for the show.

It's not just a love saga…

What else do we have but love and endless love for so many things? Rabba... is a triangular love story. It's not about falling in love, but what happens when you start playing around with it. There is passion, turmoil and destruction. Veera (Sangeeta Ghosh) is caught between Aman (Varun Badola) and Vivan (Nikkhil Arya). I play the role of Veera's mother.

People ask why I always take Sangeeta Ghosh…

Why not Sangeeta? There are several other production houses who always repeat their stars. Why does not anyone ask them? Sangeeta is talented, suits the role and is extremely professional.

She has also acted in Sambhav Asambhav and that was not my serial. If there is something for Sangeeta in my shows, she will always feature in them. I have worked with Varun earlier in Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand while Nikkhil (Rudr in Kesar) is working with me for the first time with me. He really suited the role.

I won't be directing Rabba…

This takes me off the daily scene-by-scene routine. Nandita Mehra, who earlier did Mehndi Tere Naam Ki, is directing the show. As it is a one-hour weekly, there is lots to be shot every week. We have just had a shot schedule in Singapore; we filmed two episodes there.

It has a film-kind look…

Ganesh Acharya has choreographed the title track sung by Sukhwinder Singh. It is the first time that Ganesh is choreographing for the small screen. I want to make this serial just like a film; it has the same kind of colours and gloss.

On the film front…

I had planned to produce a film last year but nowadays you never know what kind of subject will strike a chord with the viewers. I am not acting in any film at present; in fact, I have been away from the big screen for a while now.

But my enthusiasm is still intact. Who says I have been in filmdom for ages? I am yet only 16 years young!

[email protected]

Aroona Irani's earlier serials include

Mehndi Tere Naam Ki (Zee)
2. Des Mein Niklla Hoga (Star Plus)
3. Zameen Se Aasman Tak  (SaharaOne)
4. Tum Bin Jaaon Kahan (Zee)

sweet n sour thumbnail
TELE EXPRESS
Nitin Joshi

PRO-FILE: Pooja Ghai who has just returned to the cast of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thhi on Star Plus

Nitin Joshi
Ludhiana, July 1: You know her as Priya of Kabhi Aaye Na Judai in which she has the lead role. Younger viewers would be able to place her as Princess Jasmine, Hatim's pretty girlfriend. That's Pooja Ghai for you, who just recently rejoined the cast of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as Dakshaben's daughter Suhaasi back with the family after a stint abroad. ''I am more than happy to be on the show and so is Ekta who is a dear friend. And Kyunki Saas... is like a family to me. Even when I was not a part of it we were all in touch and would meet up at weekends. So it's nice to be back,'' says Pooja. Pooja can also be seen in several commercials like Fair and Lovely, Livon, Godrej hair colour, Colgate, Ariel (the one with lots of kids). ''I have done about 75 ad films in about three years,'' she smiles.
< = src="http://ads.expressindia.com/banner/iestoryban.js"> < = src="http://banners.expressindia.com/adsnew/adjs.php?para=no&n=467994449&what=zone:377&target=_blank&exclude=," =text/>
Besides Kyunki... she is very excited about her new show Rabba Ishq Na Hove for Aroona Irani that will be a weekly on Zee. ''It should premiere some time next month. It's such a beautiful script. I have a very interesting character something like Bhagyashree of Maine Pyar Kiya, then there are Sangeeta Ghosh, Varun Badola, Nikhil Arya on the show. I had appeared in Mehndi Tere... and left when I got pregnant. So I am now very excited and happy to work with Aroonaji again and I can hardly wait for the show,'' adds Pooja. The USP of the new show, she thinks, is the script and Aroona's presence. She is sure that it will work well with the audience. ''I think it will rock,'' she quips, though she is not prepared to reveal more about it than it's going to be a big show and will be shot abroad on location in Singapore and London. While she looks forward to this one she is also busy with a play for Paritosh Pointer See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil in which she plays a blind girl. 'It's a comedy thriller. There are three girls, one is blind that is me, one is deaf and the third dumb and we witness a murder. Great experience. This is my first play and I am having a blast.'' When Pooja is at home she is busy with her husband and four-year-old son who is a big fan of mummy dearest. ''Just recently, while I was acting in the play, as I made my entry there was silence and then we heard a voice say, ''Hi Mamma''. When Kabhi Aye Na Judai was on air he used to come back from school and sit in front of the TV to watch it. And with Hatim he would flaunt it, saying Jasmine is my mom,'' laughs Pooja. And why not?