Diva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 18 years ago

Sangeeta Ghosh aka Pammi will host the show

For better or for worse
Saturday, September 03, 2005 | Television

Television's hottest couples will shake a leg on a new reality show

Sapana Patil

This reality show will not launch new talents but search for one among established television actors. Star One has roped in telly couples (actors who are married to each other in real life) to be a part of a new reality show called Nach Baliye. The star couples will compete against others of their ilk in an area in which they have no previous training, that is, dancing.

Based on an original concept, the show will run for ten weeks starting October 11 and the 'Nach Baliye' title-holders will be announced at the end. Sangeeta Ghosh and Shabir Ahluwalia will host the programme.

The Format
Nach Baliye will be telecast from Tuesdays to Thursdays at 9 pm.

The Tuesday and Wednesday episodes of half an hour each will show how the actors groom themselves for the competition with the help of professional choreographers assigned to each pair. The episodes will also have the actors talking about their personal and professional lives.

The Thursday episodes of one hour will be the performance nights. Two couples will compete against each other in every show. They will dance to Bollywood numbers.

Celebrity judges and the television audience (through mobile phones or BSNL) will cast votes. The couples will be judged on dancing skills and the chemistry they share with their partners. The couple with the lowest vote will be eliminated.

Second host: Shabir Ahluwalia

De time wonder: Mihir Mishra and Manini De
sweet n sour thumbnail

Heart Talk

Sangeeta Ghosh appears with a fresh look in a brand new role in 'Rabba Ho Ishq Na Hove', the serial that is generating a lot of curiosity. Essaying the role of an airhostess, Sangeeta is tracked by a silent admirer. How she deals with this will unfold in the episodes to come. What is important is how she deals with her real life relationships.

In response Sangeeta says, "Every relationship has its own share of love, passion, lust and aggression. But you should know how to handle it and deal with it in a matured and healthy manner."

Love to me is heaven!

Love to me is heaven. I think 'heaven' is the only word that sums up the whole meaning of the word love. In fact, love, lust, passion and aggression all go together and they are all a part of a relationship.

Lust is very important in a relationship. It gives you the kick, that driving force that helps maintain the freshness and the novelty of a relation. It's the glue that binds.

Passion is yet another ingredient which makes a relationship spicy and interesting. You have to be passionate in a relationship otherwise you lose interest and slowly drift away. If you are not passionate about the person you love then I guess the relationship loses its charm.

sweet n sour thumbnail
Eyeing the silver

Artiste Sangeeta Ghosh may have become one of the most recognised faces on the small screen but the television actress wants to use her popularity in soap operas to get into films. In Delhi for the launch of a new TV serial this past week, Sangeeta said: "I am keen to act in Hindi films. But I do not want to do inconsequential roles. At the moment, all I can tell you is that talks are going on with some filmmakers." Sangeeta -- whose first serial "Hum Hindustani", was directed by acclaimed filmmaker Hrishikesh Mukherjee -- is playing the main character in the new serial "Rabba Ishq Na Hove". "I chose to do this serial because of its storyline. Also, I will get an opportunity to work with the accomplished actress Aroona Irani. I am not regretting the decision as I share an amazing on-screen chemistry with co-actor Nikhil Arya and also enjoy great camaraderie with Varun Badola in the serial," added Sangeeta. Sangeeta, who is synonymous with her character of Pammi in the TV serial "Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand", said she was comfortable playing the Punjabi character.

On the personal front, Sangeeta said that she firmly believes in the institution of marriage. "Though I believe in marriage, most marriages now end in divorce. In cosmopolitan cities, a number of couples prefer live-in relationships." -- Madhur Tankha

Features | Entertainment
Published: 22/9/2005, 12:13 (UAE)

'God has been kind to me'

By Mazhar Farooqui, Gulf News Report

Varun Badola is Hindi small screen's big man. But he remains humble.

Varun Badola
No pretensions. No airs. No nothing. Thirty-something Varun Badola hardly comes across as the big small-screen star who has endeared himself to millions of female fans across India and the UAE.

Because in the conventional sense of the term, he can't be regarded as handsome: His nose is a wee bit too pointed and there's always an unkempt floppy mop of hair covering his moon-shaped face.

But what Varun may be lacking in physical attributes he more than makes up for with his brilliant acting.

Sure enough, if he had the masses and mandarins in his grip in super-hit prime-time soap operas like Jis Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand (Star Plus) and Astitva (Zee TV), he had them eating out of his hand in the immensely popular Koshish Ek Aasha, in which he plays a mentally unstable character. His flawless performance in Bollywood movies Haasil and Charas has also won him rave reviews.

Yet for all this Varun hasn't let success go to his head and remains unnervingly modest. "God has been kind to me. I know there are better guys than me out there," says the actor, who was in Dubai recently for the shooting of Zee TV's latest serial, Rabba Ishq Na Hove.

And what was the experience like?

"Oh great. I have been to Dubai a couple of times before. Each time it is an altogether new experience. The pace of development in Dubai is mindboggling. I won't be surprised if Dubai emerges as the favourite destination for Indian television serial and movie producers in the coming years," he adds.

His female fans would be bemused by this, but Varun, who is a part-time writer, director and production assistant rolled into one, actually started his career as a costume coordinator.

"Oh that was long time back — in 1996 to be precise. I had just come to Mumbai and needed a foothold to survive in the industry."

Mud, they say, chokes no eel. And so it was with this strapping actor from the newly created state of Uttarakhand. After assisting director Tigmanshu Dhulia in TV serials like Naya Daur and Rajdhani, Varun got his first big break when he was cast in Koshish.

"It was my first role and my toughest till date. I had to work very hard on the character. Thankfully my 'koshish' (efforts) paid off and my role caught everyone's eye."

Jis Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand, in which he plays a lover boy (Dev), and Astitva in which he was cast as an opportunist (Abhi) who marries an older woman only to ditch her, followed later and subsequently stamped his authority on the telly underbelly.

But the roles which required him to romance two of the hottest glam girls on Indian TV — Niki Aneja and Sangeeta Ghosh — also got him into a controversy.

When Varun's character was killed in the serial, there were rumours that he had been chucked out because he was getting too pally with co-star Sangeeta. But Varun, who is happily married to singer-actress Rajeshwari Sachdeva, stoutly denies this insinuation.

"It was part of the script. Had this not been so, I wouldn't have made a dramatic entry in the serial nine months later. But some gossip magazines went wild with stories suggesting that I was removed because producer Aroona Irani was not happy with me and that I was having an affair with Sangeeta. It was quite funny because all along I knew that I was going to return," he says.

Interestingly, there's another girl in Varun's life these days. Her name is Hasina and she's just seven years old. The actor has adopted the girl as part of an initiative taken by Crayons.

"She is a darling and tops her class regularly. I was pretty bad in school, so it feels good when you help some one do well in studies. She is like my daughter and like any father I am proud of her."

Now, ain't dad cool?

Diva thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 4
Much ado about moolah!

"A peak phase"
SANGEETA GHOSH

* Intuition: A peak phase. Temper it with serious analysis. Ideas and objectives may be 'good' but not necessarily practical. Change occurs slowly but it is lasting.

* Contracts and Agreements: Job offers. Another job, time to shift careers. Negotiations are extremely favorable and beneficial. Profitable results form action. Be objective.

* Growth and Productivity: Slow start. Big payoff at the end. Processes set in motion can now transform the individual and organization dramatically. Implement swiftly after calm deliberation. Success.

Our take - Rabba's doing well so why shouldn't her career be at an all time high? But what does the good doctor mean by a 'time to shift careers'?

schandra09 thumbnail
DIRECTOR'S CUT:
"Arunaji wouldn't work with me if I was bad"

They are master craftsmen, artists, technicians,visualisers, all rolled into one. They lend their artistry to mundane associations to create path breaking scenes and dramatic sequences. They are the directors, who direct the cumulative energy of their work force towards one creative whole - they are the captain of the shows that make us laugh and cry. In this special fortnightly section, we pay our tribute to these masters, who choose to remain behind the scene and create magic on it!

The name Nandita Mehra, might not ring a bell, but her shows have caused ripples in tellydom. Her journey from an assistant director to a director in her own right, has been an ardous one, but the lady is not complaning! She has been part of shows like Tere Mere Sapne, Mehndi Tere Naam Ki, Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand, Astitva, Tum Bin Jaoon Kahan, Tumhari Disha and now has made heads turn with her classic independent directorial venture, Rabba Ishq Na Hove. Ananya Sengupta, spoke to the director about life and her passion for work.

"I always wanted to do fiction"
I started in 1994 from Zee, as an in-house assistant director. I was there for about 40 months and by then I had worked in all its departments. I basically worked on film based shows, but always wanted to do fiction shows. Unfortunately, Zee didn't do fiction in-house, so I quit in 1998, and joined Ashok Pandit as an assistant director. I did the show, Tere Mere Sapne, till it went off air.

"Arunaji trusted me with her baby!"
I was assisting Arunaji in Mehendi Tere Naam Ki, and suddenly after an year she offered me the director's job. I was so nervous! Hats off to Arunaji for trusting me with her baby...if I would have been in her place, I would not have done it! I share a great rapport with her and we sit on the creative meetings together with our three writers and whatever you see on screen is a result of these brainstorming sessions. You know with some people, you just click and you have a comfortable working relatiopnship and that's great for work. But I also know that we are together because we are good. Arunaji would never have worked with me if I was bad, and vise versa...even Sangita (Ghosh) is here because she is good, not because of anything else. Arunaji would never compromise on that.

"I tend to take Sangita for granted..."
Sangita has been my leading lady for quite some time. The disadvantage for her is that I take her for granted. But having Sangita on the sets is an advantage in itself. She is punctual, hassle free, committed and above everything else, she is an asset for me because she knows exactly what I want! I know her potential and thus can make her give her best. (I suggest that the three of them, Aroona Irani, Sagita Ghosh and herself, make an awesome threesome, and she breaks into giggles and manages o agree with me!)

"I shoot my scenes aesthetically"
Sangita was just a few days into the shoot, and we had to shoot this scene where Nikhil (Vivan in Rabba..) imagines that he is making love to Sangita (Veera). She was new to the crew and to her lead. I spoke to her and tried to make her comfortable, I spoke to Nikhil and asked him to take care. We shot the scene aesthetically and I make it a point that the scenes should not look vulagar. These are scenes that are necessary according to the plot! I should be able to see the show with my mom...that is my primary consideration.

"I wanted to make Rabba...look good"
Rabba...was always planned that way. The complete set up is grand. It has been shot in a sleek and smart way. I wanted it to look good. You know, if a show does well, the director becomes sought after...otherwise not, but here, the whole unit is responsible for the show's success. The producer gave me a free hand, I am comfortable with the people I am working with and these things add up to make the product good.

"If I get back home early, my mother thinks that there is something wrong"
My struggle to get work was a normal one. I did not have any trouble beacuse of my gender. My parents, specially my mom was sceptical about it, but now she has got used to it. Now, if I come home early, or don't do nights, she gets worried and asks me if everything is fine or not! But those were tough times!

"If I go to sleep, it's difficult to wake me up!"
I love to party! I have loads of friends, they keep complaining that I don't spend enough time with them, but I know that I manage! When I am not working I love to sleep, and when I sleep, it's difficult to wake me!
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Heart Talk

Sangeeta Ghosh appears with a fresh look in a brand new role in 'Rabba Ho Ishq Na Hove', the serial that is generating a lot of curiosity. Essaying the role of an airhostess, Sangeeta is tracked by a silent admirer. How she deals with this will unfold in the episodes to come. What is important is how she deals with her real life relationships.

In response Sangeeta says, "Every relationship has its own share of love, passion, lust and aggression. But you should know how to handle it and deal with it in a matured and healthy manner."

Love to me is heaven!   

Love to me is heaven. I think 'heaven' is the only word that sums up the whole meaning of the word love. In fact, love, lust, passion and aggression all go together and they are all a part of a relationship.

Lust is very important in a relationship. It gives you the kick, that driving force that helps maintain the freshness and the novelty of a relation. It's the glue that binds.

Passion is yet another ingredient which makes a relationship spicy and interesting. You have to be passionate in a relationship otherwise you lose interest and slowly drift away. If you are not passionate about the person you love then I guess the relationship loses its charm.

Aggression roots out of passion. If you are passionate about someone you get aggressive about him.

Jealousy springs from passion and love. When you are in love you tend to get possessive of the person you love and which in turn leads to jealousy.

Edited by monika.goel - 18 years ago
sweet n sour thumbnail

TELLY BUZZ

'It's been a hard day's night...'
Varun Badola, who had been rehearsing intensely for Nach Baliye and simultaneously doing one daily soap Astitva... and a weekly serial, Rabba Ishq Na Hove, is taking a breather now. Nach Baliye is over and Astitva... is soon coming to an end. "I have been a part of the show for three-and-a-half years and given it my best shot. It was completely off-beat and I enjoyed doing it," says Varun. He's still shooting for it as the serial will be on air for another month. The only other serial he's doing is Rabba ... and as yet has not signed any new serial. "I was too stressed and over-worked specially in the last seven months," he confesses. About speculations that he was wanting to opt out of Rabba... because it was clashing with the rehearsals of Nach Baliye, Varun says, "That's not true. I always knew that Nach... would get over in mid-December and there was no question of opting out of any show because of Nach .... I, however, maintain that if I cannot give my best to a show, I would prefer that somebody else takes over ...," he reveals.

As for the reports about his 'going blank' in the semi-final round of Nach... is concerned, a visibly disturbed Varun counters, "People who question our integrity should look into our past record. We have been inventive and brought something unique to the show. We wouldn't give it away so tamely. Going blank is a nightmare for an actor that too after rehearsing till four in the morning. We were disturbed at what happened." Having won the best male performer award, Varun has the last word, "When we were eliminated someone said, the competition is over. Now only the event is left." Touche'.

monika.goel thumbnail
Rabba Ishq...to pack up on 18 April

It's official. Aroona Irani's Zee show, Rabba Ishq Na Hove is wrapping up. The show has had a successful 52 episode run and will come to an end on 18 April, sources tell us.

Varun, Sangeeta and Nikhil: awesome threesome
The show, that launched on the ill fated Black Tuesday, 26 July 2005 (the first episode was re-telecast on 2 August) started as an one hour 10 pm weekly, but was rescheduled to air Mondays and Tuesdays at 8:30 pm.

"I was prepared for this. From the beginning itself, the show was supposed to be a start to end 52 episode show. It went on as was promised to us and frankly, I think that it's good that the story wasn't stretched unneccesarily as is the case with the other shows currently on air," says Nikkhil Arya, who plays the brooding Vivan in the show.

"I knew that the show is going off air. We were informed a month ago! I don't know how the show is going to end, though!" says Pooja Rawal, who will also be seen in Viraasat.

The main leads in the show, Sangeeta Ghosh and Varun Badola have moved on to other projects. While Sangeeta (who plays Priyanka) is doing Ravi Chopra's Viraasat opposite Ronit Roy, Varun Badola is doing Ek Chaabi Pados Mein on Star Plus and Star One's Arranged Marriiage with wife Rajeshwari.

Both Varun Badola and Sangeeta Ghosh were unavailable for comment.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k6/mar/1mar/news_rabba.php
monika.goel thumbnail
Nikhil Arya stole Zee TV's Rabba Ishq Na Hove
By: Goher Iqbal Punn
Thursday, March 02, 2006

Zee TV's magnum opus - the soap that is a love tale and fits well with the true lovers is 'Rabba Ishq Na Hove'. The serial is going to end on 18th April 2006. Varun, Sangita and Aruna Irani are considered to be the virtuosos of acting, but they could not spell magic of their acting on the show.

Thus the victory went only to the model turned actor dashing Nikhil Arya, who simply stole the soap with his marvelous acting skills and superb facial expressions. He really impressed the audience with intense portrayal of the character Vivan Suryavanshi.

When asked, he modestly uttered, "This serial got me a lot of critical acclaim. I think critics are looking at me seriously as an actor. With bigwigs like Arunaji, Varun and Sangita, I had no option but to deliver my best and it's extremely encouraging when your work is appreciated". About his future projects - Nikhil fed the kitty, saying, "I feel fortunate to have couple of options to choose from. But even this time around I am ready to wait for something worthwhile and author-backed". Let's wish this TV hunk all the very best in his career and life.
monika.goel thumbnail
"I don't want IT officers coming to my house, it's very shameful!"

Money. That's what drives everyone in the final analysis, whether in the glamour world of acting or the hard grind of scripting and producing. Cashin' In sits down with TV celebs to know well they handle their financial matters, and tracks their spending patterns.  

With the success of Zee's Astitva, Rabba Ishq Naa Hove and Star One's Nach Baliye, Varun Badola has two more shows up his sleeve. With so many shows on hand, how does he manage his income, we wonder? We decided to ask the man himself. Riya V Anandwala talks to Varun about how he invests his money without a financial advisor to help him out.

"I am a compulsive buyer"

How do you manage your money?
I definitely make investments, I invest a lot in funds but not shares.

What about real eastate?
I have invested in my house, which is situated in Goregaon.

Do you make an effort to plan your life financially?
I never plan my life. I work, earn and save! But in future definitely, there will be a point, where I will sit and think about my finances and will take it more seriously. But today, it's not possible I can't sit and think.

Are you an impulsive buyer?
I am not even remotely that. I come from a middle class background, so it's inbuilt in me that I can't buy anything and everything. I never had that kind of money to blow up, so this mentality has stayed with me till date. Compulsive buying comes from practice!

What about other investments?
I invest in bonds, but I never invest in stocks and gold.

Have you insured yourself?
I believe in insurance and I have insured myself.

"I own an Icon and an Accord"

Who are your benificiaries?
My mother and my wife Rajeshwari will be beneficial of my insurance.

Do you support our tax system?
Normally, I just pay my tax once. As I am working so cheques coming in later. Later in life, I will systematically plan everything, and even save for my taxes. I feel everyone must pay their taxes on time; no one should play around with it. I totally believe and support our tax system. I don't want IT officers coming to my house, it's very shameful!

Do you own a car? Is it on loan?
I have two cars, Icon and Accord. Both are on loan, and certainly that way, it becomes easier for anyone, not only actors.

How are you by nature when it comes to finances?
By nature, I am very careless when it comes to my finances. I spend where it's necessary but I only give money to people who need it. I am a self made man, who started working as an assistant director, with a minimal pay for years together and then stepped into acting. So it has been a tough life throughout without a financial support.

Do you bank on any other profession than acting?
I have worked with renowned directors, so if not acting I will definitely take up direction, which I am quite sure of doing some day or the other.

Posted on 27 March 2006 5:50 pm