http://web.mid-day.com/hitlist/2006/april/134519.htm

Off-screen lovers may reunite on screen
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   April 4, 2006

Clueless:
Pallavi Kulkarni
No comments:
Nikkhil Arya
Aroona Irani's forthcoming weekly show, Mehendi Rang Layegi (to air on Sony from next month) will mark the return of Pallavi Kulkarni (Kehta Hai Dil) to the small screen. Except for a few endorsements, Pallavi had not taken up any assignments for almost a year.

Positive guy

Irani is planning a casting coup. She has asked Pallavi's ex-flame Nikkhil Arya to play a pivotal role in it. Says Arya, "I have been told that I will be the positive guy in Pallavi's life." Will he be comfortable working with Pallavi? "No comments," he replies.

While Pallavi has started shooting, Nikkhil is unsure "I have said yes to Aroonaji, but I am yet to sign" he explains.

Central role

What is Pallavi's role? "I play Vaidehi, the central character, who is from a middle-class family," says the actress. "She is married into a strange family; they treat her badly."

Is she okay with Nikkhil being in the show? "I have no clue if he has been offered any role," claims Pallavi.

Flashback

Pallavi was the second girl in Nikkhil's life. Earlier, he was seeing Gurdeep Kohli. Pallavi and Gurdeep had done Aaj Ki Atit together. Gurdeep introduced Nikkhil to Pallavi. By then, Gurdeep and Nikkhil broke up. Later on, Nikkhil and Pallavi started dating. She wanted marriage. Nikkhil refused as he still had to settle down in his career. The couple then broke up.

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
Posted: 17 years ago

Now, house this?

Not had enough of actors and their new homes? Guess what... Nikhil Arya has just made the list longer

Reena Thapar Kapoor

Nikhil Arya (r) and his 14th floor home

Moving into a new home is in fashion these days… or so it seems. Any actor worth his or her salt is moving into a new apartment these days. Joining the bandwagon is television actor Nikhil Arya who has shifted base to his new house on the 14th floor in Malad's Palm Court Complex. The complex is also a haven to many other television stars.

For Arya though, the four walls became home only after a very patient wait and a very, very long search. He reminisces: "I started looking for a house about two years ago but wasn't happy with anything I saw. Then, I moved in a while ago however I had no time to supervise the interiors. It took more than eight months to complete the interiors and it's still not ready."

However those aren't all of Arya's complaints. He is miffed about his guest room not shaping up to be the way he'd imagined. "My entire house has a certain feel to it. I made sure to drop by occasionally to scrutinise every detail of my house. But I couldn't give time to the guest room." He says that due to his busy schedule he had put the decorator in charge. "Unfortunately it didn't turn out as expected," he says adding that he plans to make a few more changes in the room.

Arya's famous neighbours
Juhi Parmar, Hiten Tejwani and Gauri Pradhan, Saakshi Tanwar, Ali Asgar, and Gaurav Chopra among others, have made this complex a quasi-landmark in the suburbs

By A.L. Chougule

Chirpy, happy and always smiling! Her father once told her that she has such a sweet smile that she can even get away with murder. Though she keeps smiling she hasn't had a reason to murder anyone yet. Chances are she won't kill anyone, given the fact that she likes to be happy all the time. In any case sweet girls don't murder, they kill guys with their sweet smile.

But murder or no murder Karishma Randeva has every reason to smile because her life is literally rocking. For in two years she has played main leads in two major dailies and parallel leads in another two.Having studied biophysics in her graduation, this Punjabi kudi wanted to be a genetic engineer. Genetic engineering is now a past, thanks to 'Miss India Monte Carlo' title that she won while she was doing her second year graduation.

"I went along with my friends and participated in the contest just for the heck of it. Everyone said I am not going to win. Not only I won the main title but also three other titles, Miss Beautiful Smile, Miss Beautiful Eyes and Miss Most Talented which required me to do a mono act. That's when I realised that I could act because I had never acted in my life," recalls Karishma with a broad smile.

The beauty contest title changed her life. She started dreaming about stars and stardom. "But Baba insisted that I complete my graduation," she informs. She had come to Mumbai for her nephew's birthday. Someone told her that getting an entry in Ekta Kapoor's production banner was impossible.

"I took it as challenge and visited Balaji. Not only I gave an audition but I was selected for a role in Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki," says Karishma with some distinct pride in her voice. She was happy playing Gautam's daughter Sonu. Soon Ekta cast her in second lead in Kkusum. "It was great going for me," gushes the petite girl who opted out of Kkusum when the show took a 20-year leap. "I didn't want to play mother to someone of my age," she adds. She also opted out of Kahani because Sonu's character was not going anywhere.

Instead she grabbed the lead in Hello Dolly that had her playing a shy and clumsy girl called Dolly who discovers that she is actually a princess and has to behave and live like one. "The transformation was really good," says Karishma who however, identified more with Prito of Mahi Ve, a family drama that was set in Punjab. "Prito was more like me. Happy-go-lucky, always smiling, traditional and always up to some mischief," laughs Karishma who will now be seen in India Calling as Tara whose friendship with Aditya causes ripples in Chandni's life.

"Tara is a typical urban chick, always friendly, happy-go-lucky and rocking who is definitely not out to snatch Adi from his girl. But things are misunderstood," explains Karishma who hails from an orthodox and traditional Punjabi family. Given her family background, films are not on her list of priorities.

"I don't fit into the current crop of films where boldness is the major requirement. I had a few offers but refused because of this very reason," she says. Life has definitely taken a fast route. "Life in Chandigarh is slow and retired. Here it is like living in a fast lane. Always working, from morning to night for 25 to 30 days in a month," she says. Breaks are very rare. Recently she did get a long break. "I went to Bangkok and shot for Fear Factor. It was great," she winds up.

Style guru

The sexy bong Sangita Ghosh, who shot into prominence with Mehendi Tere Naam ki, Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand and the recently concluded Rabba Ishq Na Hove is known as one of tellywood's most fashionable divas. We caught up with her at the shooting of her next serial Virasat (coming on Star Plus) to quiz her about her summer fashion mantra.

What's your summer fashion style?
To wear light (mostly cotton) and cool coloured clothes which are easy on the eyes, basically any stuff which lets my body breathe

Which outfits do you wear the most during summers?
During summers you will mostly see me in low-waist denim jeans and colourful printed skirts, both the long and short variety. But no micro minis please!

What type of top do you prefer to go with your denims and skirts?
Any kind of chic looking top, but nothing tight fitting. I also avoid those itsy bitsy tops, which some girls wear in summer.

Which outfit you will avoid like plague in this oppressive heat?
I cannot remember anything offhand, may be a heavily embroidered ghagra choli. I think it would look grotesque in the Mumbai summer.

Any preference of colour during summers?
Although l like red and black, I try to avoid them in summer, accept when I am going to a place which has an A/C. During this time of year, like everybody else, I also wear lighter colours like whites.

What's your summer skin care routine?
I really don't have a skin care routine, all I do is regularly moisturise and wash my face several times in a day and drink a lot of water.

Would you wear a bikini when you go to a beach, let's say Goa?
No, I am not the one who likes to soak the sun, I rather sit at home and enjoy reading a nice book.

Do you believe its important to dress up for parties and functions?
See, it all depends on my mood, if I am in the mood to dress up, I will really deck up, on the other hand, if I am not, I might even land up at a party wearing pyjamas.

Your take on the much publicised wardrobe malfunction?
It happens to everybody yaar. Its just an accident. Even in normal situation have you not seen men who leave their fly open? It's all media hype and if you guys stop giving this issue undue attention, it will surely die down.

Name any two accessories you absolutely cannot do without?
My watch and mobile phone.

Of the current lot of top fashion designers, whose clothes you pick the most?
I don't go for designer labels, rather I will pick up anything, which takes my fancy.

Who according to you, is the best-dressed Bollywood star?
Man, that's a tough question to pose as nearly everybody dresses well. Let me think, The big B and yes the macho, Sunjay Dutt.

And the worst dressed?
No comments. (Playing safe hah!)

Among the various characters you have played so far, whose outfit you like the most?
Without a doubt the lovely chiffon and georgette sarees worn by my character in Rabba Ishq Na Hove.

We all work for money…

Sangeeta Ghosh talks about her daily show Virasat… and the back-breaking working hours

Reena Thapar Kapoor

Sangeeta Ghosh (Pammi of Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand and Veera of Rabba Ishq Na Hove) has already proved her ability to play romantic roles with deftness. The actress, who was last seen shaking a leg with Shabbir Ahluwalia in Nach Baliye, is back after a brief break. "There was never any break for me," argues Sangeeta. "I've been shooting every single day, both before and after Rabba... The shooting of Virasat has been on for quite some time now."

The show that has been in the making for months will finally get to see the light of day now. Virasat will replace Miillee at 9 pm on Star Plus. Incidentally, this is the first time that Sangeeta Ghosh will be seen in a daily show. A daily show means a lot of money, stress and long working hours. Is she ready for it? "We all work for money. So, I won't complain," she says. "But I was really worried about my timings and working hours."

That's why Sangeeta had actually turned down this Ravi Chopra show initially. "Initially I did have certain apprehensions about doing a daily show," she says. "But Raviji assured me that the working pattern won't be as erratic as other shows. Besides, a 9 pm slot on Star Plus is prestigious. For me the 9 pm slot has always been lucky. Des... was on the same time slot."

The actress says that she doesn't have anything against daily shows but doesn't want to be pressurised by telecast issues. "Raviji was looking at building a 50-episode bank and I hope he has succeeded in doing that," she says.

Sangeeta is anxiously awaiting the premiere of Virasat. "I'm paired opposite Rohit Roy for the first time," she says. Going by the promos of the show, the two seem very comfortable with each other? "Yes, although Rohit and I are still working towards developing the chemistry that I shared with Varun Badola in Des Mein Niklla Hoga Chand. We shot a love-making scene the other day. We both tried out best to make it look aesthetic and not vulgar."

At present, Sangeeta's priority is Virasat. "I'm hoping that the audience gets hooked to the show," she says, keeping her fingers crossed.

What about her personal life? Does she miss having a man in her life? "I haven't yet found a man who I would want to spend the rest of my life with. The one I liked, is married," she replies.

And no, Sangeeta doesn't want to reveal the name.

• I haven't yet found a man who I would want to spend the rest of my life with. The one I liked, is married — Sangeeta Ghosh

'Go to bed with right people'

Alka Rastogi
Lucknow, May 27, 2006
<> var href= window.location.href; href = href.substring(7); var idx = href.indexOf("/"); var relpath = href.substring(idx); document.write("" + "
");
var zflag_nid="294"; var zflag_cid="12"; var zflag_sid="0"; var zflag_width="180"; var zflag_height="150"; var zflag_sz="13"; < marginWidth=0 marginHeight=0 src="http://c2.zedo.com/jsc/c2/ff2.?n=294;c=12;d=13;w=180;h=150" Border=0 width=180 scrolling=no height=150 allowTransparency>< ="" src="http://c2.zedo.com/jsc/c2/ff2.js"> </>

Sangeeta Ghosh, a popular face on TV, believes that an actress cannot enter Bollywood unless she has proper connections or is ready to have connections in bed with those who matter. She talks about this and more in a freewheeling chat with HTTabloid.

You are a very popular TV star. When do you plan to join Bollywood?
I have all the pre-requisites of becoming a Bollywood heroine - a pretty face and a sexy figure. But, in order to enter the industry I must have proper connections.

If you don't know the right people then you must try to have illicit connections and go to bed with those who matter. But, I am not that kind of a girl who will stoop so low. I do not belong to the category of those girls who are prepared to rub themselves on the face of producers and directors.

When did you start your career as an actress?
Long time back. I have been a successful child artiste. I have worked in Hrishikesh 'Hum Hindustanti and in Basu Chatterjee's films. I consider myself fortunate for having worked with stalwarts of the film industry.

It seems that you have been working less in TV serials. Is it true?
I believe that one should handle only one project at a time. You cannot concentrate on your work if you have different things in hand. I am investing my future in hard work now.

Do you believe that the gap between the big and small careen is narrowing?
I think many of the TV serials are far more engrossing than Bollywood films. Many celebrities have entered Bollywood through the small screen like Shah Rukh Khan. I am proud that Aroona Iraani considers me to be the lucky mascot for her serials.

Who is your favourite star?
I dream of Abhishek Bachchan. Very often, I admire his picture for long before going to sleep. He is so sexy!!

The newest bahu on the block

Her last soap launched on 26/7 was ill-fated, but Aroona Irani hazards yet another monsoon release with Vaidehi

Subhash K Jha

For a long-term Bollywood actresses, Aroona Irani has donned the mantle of TV producer with gusto, with serials like Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand, Tum Bin Jaon Kaha and Mehendi Tere Naam Ki to her credit.

Her new soap Vaidehi which launches this Monday night is Aroona's sixth serial. "Vaidehi is different from what I've done so far, although I've explored the domain of pyar, mohabbat and passion. Pyar bina kya hai life mein? And love needn't be between a man and woman alone," she says.

"Vaidehi is about a girl who spurns marriage to a rich man and he finally brings her around. Yet, after marriage she encounters a weird problem at her in-laws. I'm sure female viewers will identify with Vaidehi's predicament and even male audiences will find the serial equally absorbing," says Aruna.

As Vaidehi replaces Jassi on Sony Entertainment, comparisons are bound to occur. "I've never shied away from competition. My first show on Star Plus was the superhit Des Mein Nikla Hoga Chand which replaced Kaun Banega Crorepati. God has to be on one's side," she says.

Aroona's previous soap Rabba Ishq Na Hove on Zee turned out to be a flop. "Success ratios have a way of finding their level. Even Raj Kapoor and Yash Chopra had flops too. I'm sure David Lean had his lean phases! We had launched Rabba Ishq Na Hove on 26/7 and we had to re-telecast the first episode because of the deluge. The soap went downhill from there," she says.

Aroona blames the serial's failure on bad luck. "Now, I'm working very hard. Whether it's Ekta or me, we've to give viewers what they want." However, this time Aroona has not cast her favourite actress Sangeeta Ghosh in Vaidehi.

"Sangeeta is doing other shows. When Rabba Ishq Na Hove didn't work Sangeeta moved into another serial. For the protagonist in Vaidehi, I needed someone to play the role of a working-class girl. My heroine Pallavi Kulkarni fits the bill," she says.

For now, Aroona is optimistic. "Vaidehi is my only baby at present. In films, there's nothing left for me to do. There are no moms in Hindi films any longer! I'm happy making serials and casting myself in a plum role like the one in Vaidehi. I'll act in my own serials if the role is substantial; otherwise I'm ready to work with other production houses. From now on, I'll be seen only on TV in meaningful roles," she says.

Aroona's real-life inspiration

Kunal M Shah

Aroona Irani's latest show, Vaidehi on Sony TV which premieres today, is based on the real-life trauma of one of her closest friend. Irani confirms, "Yes it's true that Vaidehi is based on the story of a very close friend of mine, but I would not like to mention her name. After marriage, she had a weird problem that women normally do not have. The worst part was she could not mention this to anyone in her family and that's when she confided in me five years ago. When I heard what she told me, I could not believe that something like that could happen to anyone," says Irani.

"When I recently met my friend again, I remembered what she had disclosed to me five years ago. I decided right then that her story could be the plot of my film and I later told her that I was going to base my next serial on her. She had no problems with it as long as her identity was protected, something I promised I would do."

Aroona is not apprehensive about the viewership of Vaidehi. "Women constitute the biggest chunk of our viewers. But Vaidehi will have an equal number of men watching it too, mainly because of the uniqueness of the problem my protagonist faces. Vaidehi begins today and I'm nervous. There are butterflies in my stomach and I have my fingers crossed," says Irani.