Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti_5 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

paratha recipe:

Ingredients : For Dough:    Wheat Flour    2 Cupssalt  1/2 tsp oil         &nb sp;         &nb sp;  Ghee/butter/Margarine  1/2 cup water         Method :  

If using Butter/Margarine bring it room temparature.

Mix flour salt & Required water to make a dough consistency. Rub oil over & knead it soft .Let it rest for an hour.

With a help of a rolling pin take a lemon sized dough .
Roll it to a a small round & apply some butter/ghee to it. Fold into two again fold the same.Start rolling to form a triangle.

Heat a flat pan ,when it gets hot add the paratha & let it cook for a minute. When it starts to get small bubbles turn around & add a small tsp of oil around the paratha. when the brown spots appear take it out & keep it in an in a covered box.

Serve hot or warm with any accompaniment.

*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
omg ! how do u know how to make all these things 😲 or do u get them from the internet πŸ˜† ok one more. extra choco, german chocolate cake  πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† Edited by *Nishi* - 16 years ago
shruti_5 thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Nishi*

omg ! how do u know how to make all these things 😲 or do u get them from the internet πŸ˜† ok one more. extra choco, german chocolate cake  πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†

I watch my mom cook and i cook sometimes too. so i know all the veg. indian food  like dosa, vada , paratha etc !!! 😳

*Nishi* thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
u didnt answer the choco cake one πŸ˜†
friend_125 thumbnail
please chef..iama die hard fan of yummy ""paneer paratha"".....
so would you tell me and let me live πŸ˜† joking...
plz tell how2 make 😳 ???
nidhi2013 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail

here is Paneer paratha recipeπŸ˜›

Ingredients
100 gms Grated Paneer
1 finely chopped Onion
Coriander leaves finely chopped
Small piece of Ginger (grated)
1 or 2 finely chopped green Chilies
Salt, Red Chili powder and Graram masala as per taste
1/2 tsp Ajwain (optional)
Butter / Oil for frying

Method

• Make dough out of whole wheat flour (atta), as you would do for any paratha/roti.
  • In a bowl mix all the stuffing ingredients.
  • Make two medium size chapati, add the filling to the one chapati and cover it with the second one. Now roll it slightly.
  • Cook on a pre-heated Tawa (flat griddle plate).
  • Turn it and pour half tablespoon oil or butter.
  • Spread it on the paratha and shallow fry over low heat. Turn it and again pour oil or butter on the other side.
  • Cook on a low heat till golden brown.
  • Serve paneer paratha hot with yogurt (curd) and your favorite chutney or with pickle.

shruti_5 thumbnail

Originally posted by: *Nishi*

u didnt answer the choco cake one πŸ˜†

I asked my mom and she had to find it in her recipe book! 😳

German Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup butter, softened 1 cup sour cream 4 large eggs 4 ounces sweet baking chocolate, melted 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping

3/4 cup evaporated milk 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed 1/2 cup butter 1 can (3 1/2 ounces) flaked coconut, or about 1 1/3 cups
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

How to make german chcolate cake:

Grease and flour two 8-inch square baking pans.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, butter, sour cream, eggs, chocolate, milk, and vanilla. Beat with mixerat low speed until blended. Increase mixer to high and beat 2 minutes longer. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Remove to racks to cool completely. Make topping.
In a saucepan over medium heat, bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, and butter to a full boil; remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

When cake is cool, place one layer on cake platter; spoon half of the coconut mixture onto the layer. Top with remaining cake layer and top with remaining topping.

princezna thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Shami Kabab

Shami Kebabs are very popular as a starter or a snack. They have a special, delicate flavour and are quite easy to make even though the recipe looks complicated. They are rather friable, so pan fry them gently. Makes 10-12

Ingredients

β€’ 500 gm. mince lamb meat. Other meats and even chicken mince can be used.
β€’ 125 gm. (1 1/2 average sized tea cup) chana dal (skinless Bengal gram/Black chickpea Dal),
β€’ 2 onions (200-250 gm.) peeled and roughly chopped
β€’ 3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
β€’ 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
β€’ 1 tsp. cumin seeds
β€’ 3-4 cloves*
β€’ 5-6 peppercorns*
β€’ 2-3 green cardamoms*
β€’ 1-2 large black cardamoms*
β€’ 1/2 inch stick of cinnamon*
β€’ 2 bay leaves*
β€’ *If you do not have these ingredients, use 1 full tsp. of Garam Masala at the end of cooking.
β€’ 2 tsp. coriander powder or seeds
β€’ 2-3 dry red chillies or 1/4 tsp. powder
β€’ Salt to taste
β€’ 1/2 cup water
β€’ 2 eggs lightly beaten
β€’ A small bunch of coriander leaves finely chopped
β€’ A small bunch of mint leaves finely chopped
β€’ Oil for pan frying

Instructions

1. Wash and soak dal for 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Place all ingredients in a pan, except the last three (egg, coriander and mint leaves). Cook until meat and dal are cooked and all the water is absorbed. You can cook these in a pressure cooker, for 2 pressures or 5 minutes under full pressure. To finish off, stir fry on high until all the liquid is dried off and the meat looks quite dry.
3. Pick out and discard large cardamoms, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Allow meat to cool.
4. Grind in a food processor until smooth.
5. Add 2 lightly beaten eggs, coriander and mint leaves. Mix well.
6. Adjust seasoning. Leave covered in the fridge for an hour or two or even overnight for the mix to 'set' a little.
7. Divide into 12-15 portions and shape like a hamburgers or pear drops or rings. Size is your choice. If you are making them for cocktail party, make them quite small.
8. Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan. It is always a good idea to test fry one kebab first. If it is too friable and difficult to hold together, add 1-2 tbs. gram flour or besan to the mix before continuing with the rest. Shallow fry all kebabs until brown and crisp on both sides.
9. Serve hot with Green Mango Chutney.

Edited by princezna - 15 years ago
dp_p thumbnail
Recipe - Bharwaan Tindora (Dondakaya kura/Kovakkai/ Kundru sabzi)

Ivy gourd or Little gourd stir fry
Summary
Tindora/little gourd has low glycemic index which is good for people who are diabetic, helps regulates blood glucose. It is high in beta-carotene. Thanks to Wikipedia, I leant, dondakaya is also known as gentleman's toes (compare lady's fingers/okra ). Source: Wikipedia.

Tindora/dondakaya is very popular vegetable in south India. Dondakaya can be eaten as a curry or chutney. I make stuffed tindora/dondakaya for small gatherings.   I live in a multi cultural community. Dishes like stuffed tindora is like a delicacy, considering its look and presentation. If I am in a hurry I just chop tindora into vertical slices and add the spices on top of them and make it a stir-fry. Tastes almost the same but looks different :-)

Ingredients:

* Tindora - 45 - 50 pieces

Stuffing:

* Coconut - 2 tablespoons (optional)
    * Chickpea flour/Besan - 3 tablespoons (roasted)
    * Red chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
    * Salt - 1 and 1/2 teaspoons
    * Turmeric - 1/4 teaspoon
    * Oil - 2 tablespoons

Process:
Wash and clean tindora, slit tindora veritcally, making four slits. Make sure one edge of the tindora is entact. Mix all the spices together with with 2 teaspoons of oil. Stuff tindora with the stuffing mix.

Preheat an open skillet with oil on medium heat, add the stuffed tindora's slowly to the pan in a single layer.

Cook/roast them well on all the sides on medium temperature, make sure not to cover the dish.

Preparation time 30 - 45 minutes (takes longer to stuff :-))
# Servings: 4 - 6

Tips:
From one of my readers: Thank you Jen!!

* To cook Kovaikkai/Tindora/Dondakaya faster with a little less use of oil, microwave the slit Kovaikkais about 20 of them (on a plate with a little bit of water) and then stuffed them and placed them in a single layer in little oil.
    * The rest of the Kovaikkai slit vertically (To hasten the cooking process, cooked them in the microwave first and then followed the rest of your recipe, turns out awesome.
    * To cut the stuffing process short, slice tindoras thin (10 minutes can be saved). Cutting tindoras is also a chore ;-)

Preheat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds. Let them splutter add chopped tindora, turmeric. Let them cook for 10- 15 minutes.

Add red chilli powder, salt and chick pea flour, sautee till the desired crispness is aquaired.

Serve it hot with roti or rice.

friend_125 thumbnail
thanksa looooottttt NIDHI2018 😊 😊 😊 for paneer paratha.... 😳