conceptvals thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 7 years ago
A Streetcar Named Desire

This is one of those films where there's a severe shortage of likable characters yet the film still works. Eveyone in it is flawed and it's easy to accept that. 

At first Blanche was just straight up annoying and obnoxious as her family estate was gone, so her social snobbery towards the Kowalskis looked out of place since they were sheltering her in their house. Then you gradually get these hints that she's in great psychological turmoil. Most of the things that come out of her mouth are her fantasies that she's rapidly succumbing to and it's becoming increasingly difficult for her to return to reality. However, her core backstory is that her husband committed suicide due to his homosexuality and she was devastated, possibly from guilt. After he died she started indulging in illicit sexual dalliances. I'm not sure whether that was to pay off the loans for Belle Reve or maybe because she wanted to feel youthful and wanted. That was a big thing for Blanche. It was highlighted that she loved being complimented on her appearance and wanting to appear younger than she was. She depended on male sexual admiration for her self esteem. But the more her psychological state deteriorated my annoyance with her lessoned. It was replaced with understanding and empathy. The last scene was very upsetting. 

Blanche is seen as a fallen woman in society's eyes with her promiscuity and declining social class. It's very easy to see why a fantasy world would be a better place for her to live. So when she goes to live with her sister in New Orleans it could be a new beginning for her, a way to escape the poverty. Kind of symbolising the decline of the old South and the popularity of metropolitan cities after the war. When she gets to New Orleans she gives herself all the things she lost along with Belle Reve. She allows herself to be seen as a chaste woman again fixing her reputation and regains some of her social snobbery. Unfortunately for her, the past didn't stay hidden for too long and it all came crashing down just like her delicate mental state. 

Stanley was very handsome and it was easy to see why someone would fancy him. His arguments with Blanche were some of the highlights of the film. Their desires and ideals were always clashing. But he was a vile man. An abusive, misogynistic husband and eventual rapist. So not here for that so he can catch these hands.

I think some of Stanley's hatred for Blanche stems from her aristocratic past and social hierarchy. He doesn't like to see himself as being inferior to anyone and in his own words sees himself as a "social leveller." He represents the new America that Blanche just can't make herself fit into.

Stanley shows no remorse after raping Blanche and even admits her into an asylum. Even with his brutish and criminal ways he manages to get away with looking like a family man who loves his wife and kid. It questions society's flawed decision to treat Blanche as a phariah while men like that are heralded.

Edited by Sassenach - 7 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Love Comes Softly
Northanger Abbey
AlMamun thumbnail
I am watching "

3-Headed Shark Attack

"
AlsoKnownAs thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
SPOILERS!!! ...regarding the End!
Fantastic beast and where to find them. 7/10. Never been Harry Potter fan, yup haven't watched fully any Harry Potter movies, but since was prequel to it, decided to watched it. It was okay to good.
If you are a Johnny depp fan, you'll be pleasantly really surprised!!! I wasss!!
Gul_bahar thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
The Pursuit of Happyness❤️ What an inspiring movie!
Chem_ystery thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Can anyone suggest me some romantic teen hollywood movies which dont have nude or much vulgur scenes.
weleon thumbnail
The Space Between Us
Rating: 6.4
Release on: 2017-02-03
Type: AdventureDramaRomance
Language: English
Director: Peter Chelsom
Actor: Gary Oldman, Asa Butterfield, Carla Gugino
http://www.beemovieapp.com/in/detail/The_Space_Between_Us.html

The Space Between Us - The first human born on Mars travels to Earth for the first time, experiencing the wonders of the planet through fresh eyes. He embarks on an adventure with a street smart girl to discover how he came to be.
Haisisterz thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 6 years ago
The last movie I watched is "pariah". It's an american drama film about a black lesbian teen from Bronx, NY and her struggle to embrace her sexuality freely to her religious parents. It's definitely a must watch! 
DariusXK thumbnail
Hottest Moments In Movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25A7mAC7rNk

The Mummy (Might contain spoilers)
I went with very low expectations, despite waiting for this movie for the past one year, the negative reviews succumbed all the excitement and expectations. Moreover as it is Ramadan, i had this misconception that people would choose to avoid the film.
But fortunately, as i went their all the shows were full, i was lucky to get the ticket, thanks to my colleagues doing the pre-bookings. 

I would like to say, its useless to follow the reviews, Wonder woman is just too good as a film and that is why the Mummy is being slaughtered by the critics. Otherwise as a stand alone film, and as a Cruise starer, this film is worth of every penny, entertaining in every minute, the movie delivers what you want to see unless you go with the expectation of watching something intelligent and artistic onscreen. When the movie ends, you get out satisfied that for 2 hours you experienced a joyful roller coaster ride. Go with your friends/cousins/colleagues.

The Plot

The plot is simple and not exaggerated. the first 20 minutes of the film engages you and that is why even though the film becomes predictable, it makes you sit at the edge of your seat to see what get revealed in the next frame. 

The story is about a curse which due to his greed and foolishness Nick Morton( Tom Cruise) a soldier of the US military acquires when he is in the Iraq border with his crew. He is cursed by none other than the ancient Princess Ahmanet who was mummified and buried beneath the tomb as she chose to transform into evil and kill her both her father and new born brother in order to be named as the queen of her land. The rest of the film follows through Nick's journey of coming in terms with his cursed self, differentiating between love and greed and at last saving the world from the monster.

The positives

The first half and the climax, both these portions were gripping, entertaining and there was nothing you would want to change. 

The pace of the film is just perfect, it is 2 hours long, and the film hardly contained any unnecessary sequence. Every scene added up to the flow of the story.

The action/thriller sequences just like every other Tom Cruise starer are breath taking, the plane crash sequence even though revealed in the trailer, looks magnum on the big screen, i personally enjoyed it. The back ground score perfectly justifies the tone and intensity of the sequences.

The humor, the first one hour is just so fun. even though Nick is terrified due to the curse and all, his character is such a badass and jerk. His one liners are hilarious at times, and his banters with his lady love and his "Human" way to convince the mummy was hilarious at times. There was a sequence when Ahmanet in her mummified form was trying to seduce/manipulate him, and he replies to her that " try to understand we are never going to happen". The whole theater burst out into laughter😆

Tom Cruise, he owns the movie. I will never understand the hate he receives from critics because he has not given a real flop since 32 years now (leaving aside 2 films where he had minor roles). He is a hard core sucker for action and this big feel good movies, so you just do not expect him to transform into the zone where he leaves his image behind and shocks you especially when you know that the movie is a Mummy movie where he plays the hero who has to save the world. Tom Cruise basically was a joy onscreen, i do not know how he looked like that, his charm is so magnificent on that big screen that its hard to not fall for him. He just makes Nick so different from Ethan or Reacher, that no matter how many action sequences his character performs, at the end its the heart and humanity of the character that you take back home. Also Cruise and Boutella had some scorching chemistry, more than half of the people wanted Nick to end up with Ahmanet instead of the other girl. 

For females there will be plenty of Tom Cruise's abs and smirks and for males there will be plenty of Sofia Boutella's curves and convincing mysterious beauty as the princess. she looked fab in some scenes.

The negatives

The movie is named as The Mummy but the story is more about Nick, that is what i felt. I understand they had to make it Cruise centric, but then Cruise's character was given so much importance that at times The Mummy looked stupid enough for not being able to scare the shit outta this normal and powerless human being who exactly knows that he is cursed and she chose him for the big sacrifice.

You get Tom cruise to play the hero and then you choose below average female actresses who neither have beauty nor any screen presence. When you watch the film, you will understand how important it was for Jenny's (Annabel Walis) character to make an impact, because whatever Nick does at the end is for her but she does not have any screen presence or chemistry with Cruise at all. Moreover at one point it looked disconnected that he loved her so much ? I mean zero chemistry but undying love ? 😕. Furthermore, Cruise and Boutella had a great chemistry, no doubt but Boutella was not a convincing Mummy, she still does her job well, but it was faulty from the writers' end that they did not make her character clear enough. 

Russel Crow's character length was short. I know many people just watched the film to see Crow-Cruise in the same frame, but they had a short sequence and that is it. 

You just do not show a mummified come cursed love triangle where most of the audience wants the hero to end up with the mummy just because the other heroine is bland and boring and the hero-mummy chemistry is electrifying. LMAO 

Overall
Recommended for movie lovers, if you love action, romance. thrill, humor and a good message in a single film, then go for it. Its a total summer blockbuster. The climax leaves you in a state where you want to see Nick's face for one last time but they do not show you because well you have to wait for the dark universe now.

Rating: 4/5 ..