Health & Fitness

Have A Healthy Ramadan!!! Eat Healthy!!

Ms. Bholi Bhali thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Yup Ramadan is Coming to an end, but its never late to start eating healthy. and get ready for a healthier Ramadan next year.

Here are some easy to follow and healthy tips by professionals
!!!!

Apply them and I guarantee you will achieve your goals spiritually, physically and mentally during this Holy Month!!

WHAT NOT TO EAT

A huge Iftar

Eating a large Iftar is not recommended in the Hadith (The Prophet Mohammad's (PBUH) sayings and teachings),The large influx of food consumed after a day of fasting can cause the digestive system to 'clog'. For this reason it is recommended that Muslims break their fast on dates and water or a simple soup, perform the Maghrib prayer and then eat a moderate Iftar.

Spicy, hot and lots of salty foods

If you eat too much salty food your body will retain water; you feel bloated. At the same time, lack of water in the body makes it more ready to retain fat and other toxins because it does not have enough fluids to flush toxins out of the body.

Sweets and sugary food

Such foods will turn into fat, increase cholesterol levels and make you gain weight.

Too much caffeine

Caffeine is found in coffee, tea, chocolate and even decaffeinated teas and coffees.

Carbonated beverages and caffeine leach calcium from your system, which means you feel less full all the time and tend to eat the wrong food and eat more than the usual. Also avoid drinking tea at suhoor (dawn), as tea increases salt excretion in the urine, which is needed for your body during fasting.

Not getting enough sleep

It is common in Ramadan for people not to get enough sleep, which can lead to excess stress on the body. This [in turn] can trigger weight gain. So you should get the minimum sleep hours recommended, not less than eight hours.

Skipping meals or not eating enough

Not eating enough can prove unhealthy. Not eating the suhoor (dawn meal) triggers a starvation response in the body, which actually slows down your metabolism for the rest of the day,

Too much starch

"Be sure to eat the right proportions from the various food groups. Limit yourself to a cup of any given grain per meal."

Fried fatty foods

Fats affect the health of your heart and blood vessels, especially saturated fats. They play a role in raising cholesterol [levels] in the bloodstream; a high blood cholesterol level is a risk factor that increases the chances of developing heart diseases

Discontinuing or reducing exercises

Most people reduce their workload saying: 'It's Ramadan, so I should rest'. But this is untrue. Exercising will help you maintain your body weight; it will help burn calories and get rid of stress

Last words of advice

Don't focus on losing weight this Ramadan. The spirit of Ramadan is for all Muslims to share the hardships of the poor people who cannot afford several full meals a day. So you should focus on the meaning of Ramadan, which is not just about abstaining from eating and drinking. Your eyes, ears, and your tongue are equally obligated to be restrained from committing any bad deeds

A balanced meal

A balanced diet improves your blood cholesterol profile, reduces gastric acidity, prevents constipation and other digestive problems, and contributes to an active and healthy life style.

"So one must consume the right amounts from the major food groups: bread, cereal, milk, dairy products, meat, beans, vegetables and fruits. Because during the month-long fast the metabolic rate of a fasting person slows down and other regulatory mechanisms start functioning".

WHAT TO EAT FOR

Suhoor
- "Because of the long fasting hours that follow, you should eat foods high in fibre, such as wheat, oats, lentils, beans, whole grain rice, corn, dried fruits, vegetables. These take a long time to digest, almost eight hours so you won't feel hungry all the time,"

Yoghurt: "Yoghurt has become one of the essential foods used to break the Ramadan fast. It is scientifically proven that the main benefits of yoghurt are in the digestive tract, where the friendly bacteria found in live yoghurt can aid in the digestion process as well as to help clean the intestines and digestive tract. And the bacteria, still present in yoghurt, upon entering the intestinal tract prevents other bacteria in the intestines from forming harmful toxins,"

"The body's immediate need at the time of Iftar is to get an easily available energy source in the form of glucose for the living cells, particularly the brain and nerve cells.

"Dates and juices are good sources of sugars. So having dates and juice in the above quantity is sufficient to bring low blood glucose levels to normal levels. Also juice and soup help maintain water and mineral balance in the body.

Source: http://www.gulfnews.com/home/

Have a healthy year ahead!!!

May Allah Bless You All!!!

Edited by Ms. Bholi Bhali - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
I have to say I am guilty of eating a few of the not recommended foods but I try to avoid them in Ramadan.

Thank you for the wonderful article.  Ramadan is almost coming towards an end, so my friends, ask for all you want in this precious month.  Ask for forgiveness or happiness in your life, May Allah grant all of you everything!

By the way, Ms. BB, love your signature!
Edited by -Mystery- - 16 years ago
ThE_kHan07 thumbnail
😭

I ate oily foooood!! no wonder y my weight is being increased!??! 🤢
Mini786 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Hey!

Thanxx, this was very enlighting?
Acutally im also guilty of eating some of the foods, recommended not to eat!
Eh...well I'll try to eat healthy the remaining days!
And I also want to tell you guys to try and pray for forgivness!!
:D

-Mahak-
Devilzangel thumbnail
hey thanks for the information..hope u all guys had a great ramadan 😛
sabrinaa. thumbnail
thank youuuuu

lol i eat mostly what's on the " not to eat" list, 😆 but ill try not to! 😳

oo, and ramadan mubarakk! [late] 😛
Thanks for the very useful (eat healthy) information for the Holy Month of Ramadan.

although there are only few days left of Radadan, at the sametime eating healthy food is very good for our healh whether it is Ramadan or not.

I hope all the Muslims had a great Ramadan.
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the informative Post!
To all Muslims: Have a healthy Ramadan 👏 👏

LOve,
Gracella
loverocks! thumbnail
thankx alot ! I eat most of the things you said for suhoor ! I Thankful to I - F for allwoing any religion type of people to be apart of I-f ! Thankxxxxx !
CuteFairy91 thumbnail
Great post baji!!! I used to be a healthy freak.. Now i am da most unhealthiest person lolz.. well not really but still.. I should start my normal healthy thing again. Thnx again. 😳