Learning Punjabi...the easy way...

Posted: 16 years ago

Kiddha punjabi log n Sat Sri Akal to Everyone i thought this was a good idea as there are some people who are not aware about the punjabi alphabet etc.... this may well help thos people out.. i have found some good sites also that can help them out...there some very good tips that can help everyone really.... also i found this program which pronounces the gurmukhi so its easy for u to learn using the combination of the two.... here is the link

http://www.punjabonline.com/punjabi/alphabet.html

First Line: Glottal
a, A, e, s, h are pronounced with the front of the tongue lying right behind the teeth. s and h are pronounced like their English counterparts. The first three letters in this line are vowels.

ooraa = a
airaa = A
eeree = e
sassa = s
hahaa = h

Second Line: Velars
k, K, g, G are pronounced with the front of the tongue lying on the mouth's bottom. You should raise the back of your tongue slightly, closing the throat, and opening it just before sound is made. The last letter in this line has a nasal sound.

kakaa   = k
khakhaa = K
gagaa   = g
ghaghaa = G
ngangaa = |

Third Line: Pre-Palatals
c, C, j, J are pronounced by bringing the teeth together with the tongue lying on the mouth's bottom. The last letter in this line has a nasal sound.

chachaa   = c
chhachhaa = C
jajaa     = j
jhajhaa   = J
njanja    =

Fourth Line: Retroflexes
t, T, f, F are pronounced by bringing the tip of your tongue to the top of your mouth and flipping it down without touching the front teeth.

tainkaa = t
thathaa = T
dadaa    = f
dhadhaa = F
naanaa   = x

Fifth Line: Dentals
q, Q, d, D, n are pronounced by making your tongue go just behind the upper teeth. You pronounce n just like n in English.

tataa   = q
thathaa = Q
dadaa   = d
dhadhaa = D
naanaa = n

Sixth Line: Labials
p, P, b, B, m are pronounced by putting your lips together.

papaa   = p
phaphaa = v
babaa   = b
bhabhaa = B
mamaa   = m

Seventh Line: Semi-Vowels
X, r, l, v are pronounced like their English counterparts. However, you must roll your tongue with r.

yayaa = X
raraa = r
lalaa = l
vavaa = v
raaraa = V

Punjabi Fonts for u to get more practice.. πŸ˜›

http://www.punjabonline.com/sikhism/fonts.html

Once the basics..are known can move on the bigger n better things πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

Also another way of learning... that new harbhajan maan film had a song about learning punjabi i think thats a real good idea.. to get the alphabet across..

http://music.pz10.com/album/10111/Mitti%20Wajaan%20Maardi-Ha rbhajan%20Mann.html

Hope this helps people... πŸ˜›
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† thanx anisha for u ur exams in 10 mins 🀣🀣🀣
okay ill revise and den come back in 100 years to take da exam πŸ˜†
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† lmao phir tum toh fail hogi hehe πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 2 years for each alphabet aye haha lol kya baat hai lol πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
lolz i done punjabi at ma secondary skl u no lolz for 2 years πŸ˜† u dano..am a dark horse πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
wow thx sukhi i know most of this! πŸ˜ƒ
Originally posted by *VaVaVoom14*

lolz i done punjabi at ma secondary skl u no lolz for 2 years πŸ˜† u dano..am a dark horse πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† dark horse come to the light πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Originally posted by ~*manai*~

wow thx sukhi i know most of this! πŸ˜ƒ

aww thanx manai yea... will help other people who dont know na... πŸ˜›
wow rickyy very nicee
i still cant believe mainu hale tak oora aira ni aundaπŸ˜†πŸ˜†
thanks buddy, though i too already know how to mostly read and write punjabi