Sleepless nights bad for brain

Posted: 16 years ago

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sleepless_nights_bad_for_ brain/articleshow/2491761.cms

WASHINGTON: A few nights without sleep can not only make people tired and emotional, but may actually put the brain into a primitive "fight or flight" stateπŸ˜³πŸ˜”, researchers said on Wednesday.

Brain images of otherwise healthy men and women showed two full days without sleep seemed to rewire their brains, re-directing activity from the calming and rational prefrontal cortex to the "fear center" β€” the amygdala.πŸ˜³πŸ˜”

"It's almost as though, without sleep, the brain had reverted back to more primitive patterns of activity, in that it was unable to put emotional experiences into context and produce controlled, appropriate responses,"πŸ˜³πŸ˜” said Matthew Walker of the University of California Berkeley, who led the study.

That a lack of sleep can make people grumpy😳 is hardly news. "We all know implicitly the link between bad sleep the night before and bad mood the next day.😳 We are just adding the brain basis to what we knew," Walker said in a telephone interview.

Walker and colleagues at Harvard Medical School used functional magnetic resonance imaging, which can scan brain activity in real time, to see what was going on in the brains of their 26 young adult volunteers.

Half were kept awake for a day, a night and another full day. The other half slept as normal. Walker's team said they noticed profound changes in the brain activity of those volunteers who stayed up.πŸ˜³πŸ˜”

"We found a strong overreaction from the emotional centers of the brain," Walker said. "It was almost as if the brain had been rewired, and connected to the fright, flight or fight area in the brain stem."πŸ˜³πŸ˜”

Regards,
TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Thanks for the article. I am one of the walking talking living specimen, a living example contradicting this theory to the fullest and I am stating it in full hosh...😳

Edited by advil - 16 years ago
When people get noo sleep at night or if they dont sleep at all then they always get grumpy and emotional and all that... So people should always get atleast 8-10 hours of sleep for a good and active day... thanks for sharing.
Originally posted by advil

Thanks for the article. I am one of the walking talking living specimen, a living example contradicting this theory to the fullest and I am stating it in full hosh...😳

Thanks for your feedback.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ
May I know how's it possible to contradict this theory to the fullest and manage with a lesser amout of sleep?πŸ˜•πŸ˜³
-TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Originally posted by uru_hershey

When people get noo sleep at night or if they dont sleep at all then they always get grumpy and emotional and all that... So people should always get atleast 8-10 hours of sleep for a good and active day... thanks for sharing.

You're welcome.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ
Some calm, composed and relaxed people who have a balanced thought and emotional life can manage with a lesser amount of sleep too (less than 08 hours) since some psychologists claim our emotional life is determined by our thought life.😎
Positive thoughts mean positive emotions.😎
Negative thoughts means negative emotions which will unfortunately drain us out emotionally and psychologically.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³πŸ˜”
-TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Originally posted by abide

Thanks for your feedback.πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ
May I know how's it possible to contradict this theory to the fullest and manage with a lesser amout of sleep?πŸ˜•πŸ˜³
-TanveerπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ

Well actually I am one of the living examples here who is defying this theory that long hours sans sleep can make one less productiove or less responsive.

There are quite a few here at IF itself who can forego sleep for more than 35 -40 hours at a stretch and finish the work in hand when required..This does not mean that the quality of work suffers due to lack of sleep on unresponsive behaviour from the brain. To lead a normal life a maximum of 2.5 - 4 hours of sleep is sufficient  to tackle the day and the workload  waking  up feeling fresh and raring to go.Guess once  someone becomes a light sleeper, then the biological clock sets in and a pattern is formed. After that its simply routine life. πŸ˜›

Originally posted by advil

Well actually I am one of the living examples here who is defying this theory that long hours sans sleep can make one less productiove or less responsive.

There are quite a few here at IF itself who can forego sleep for more than 35 -40 hours at a stretch and finish the work in hand when required..This does not mean that the quality of work suffers due to lack of sleep on unresponsive behaviour from the brain. To lead a normal life a maximum of 2.5 - 4 hours of sleep is sufficient  to tackle the day and the workload  waking  up feeling fresh and raring to go.Guess once  someone becomes a light sleeper, then the biological clock sets in and a pattern is formed. After that its simply routine life. πŸ˜›

Oh! my God I can't say / utter a single word after a living example like you has defied / contradicted the theory with such a deadly logical reasoning!
I've been left dumbfounded / speechless!
I wish that I too could manage with 2.5-4.0 hours of sleep.πŸ˜•πŸ˜³πŸ€”
-Tanveer😳

Edited by abide - 16 years ago

Oh! my God I can't say / utter a single word after a living example like you has defied / contradicted the theory with such a deadly logical reasoning!
-Tanveer😳

no no.... its not ur fault.... his brain has some chemical locha thts why he defies the theory.... afterall he has learnt all chemicals onlyπŸ˜†

-Tanveer😳

Well, this example was more of someone I know who works all hours.

And as for me, I may not be as good as this person, but yes I can very well manage upto  38 hours without sleep and still get all the work in hand,πŸ˜†without sleep for more than 38 hours at a stretch. BUt mine are not mostly offfice related work..

In fact why only me, last year we used to have a group here by the name "ullu gang" we all used to lietrally stay up till early morning at times till 6 amπŸ˜†having fun at IF and attend office and  all the workloads in the day time and again repeat the same in the night...πŸ˜† yeah its also a fact that our bloodstreams had more caffeine keeping us going than blood I guess...😳

Jokes aside, I think it is sound sleep which is the key factor. If you have a good sleep , even 3 hours is good to get you going for the whole day.

Originally posted by kabhi_21

no no.... its not ur fault.... his brain has some chemical locha thts why he defies the theory.... afterall he has learnt all chemicals onlyπŸ˜†

πŸ˜† The key concept of any chemical process is the  mass balance.... got the point...πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†