Review Time: Pride and Prejudice

Posted: 16 years ago

If you remember we had a voting a while back and then we presented you for the book of the month for october, which was choosen by you people, to read.. To refresh your memories here is a link to that topic:

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/755966

The book choosen to read was Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen!👏

We hope all of you have read it and its time to share your thoughts and reviews on it in this thread.. Please do post ur thoughts about the book, comments etc all here.😃

Book Talk. Dev Team

jasunap
IF-Rockerz

Warning level: (%)
Posted: 30 October 2007 at 2:40am | IP Logged

Pride and Prejudice is Jane Austen's second novel. A novel she wrote before she was twenty-one years old. It was originally titled First Impression because the appearances of each of the characters created the plot of the novel. However, because the novel is also concerned with the effects of the character's first impressions, that is their prejudice, Austen changed the title Pride and Prejudice.

Pride and Prejudice, similar to other Austen novels, is written in gentle or Horacian satire. The main object of Austen's satire in the novel is the mercenary and the ignorance of the people, a common criticism of the 18th century. Characters in the novel who best carry these qualities are:

Mrs. Bennet, a foolish woman who talks too much and is obsessed with getting her daughters married;
Lydia Bennet, the youngest of the Bennet daughters who is devoted to a life of dancing, fashions, gossips and flirting; and
Mr. Williams Collins, the silly and conceited baboon who is completely stupefied by Lady Catherine in every aspect of his life that he has forgotten his own morals and duty.

The tone of the novel is light, satirical, and vivid. Scenes such as Mr. Collins proposal to Elizabeth, and Lady Catherine's visits to Lizzy at Longbourn, provide comic relief to the reader while at the same time revealing certain traits of the characters. For example, Lydia's lack of common sense and responsibility is revealed when she takes pride in being the first Bennet girl to be married. Lydia does not take into consideration the circumstance of her marriage, the personality of her husband, or the prospects of their marriage for the future. Elizabeth Bennet's ability to laugh off her misfortune and to continue to be optimistic, considering her situation, also contributes to the tone of the novel.

The point of view in Pride and Prejudice is limited omniscient; the story is told through Elizabeth, but not in first person. As a result, the mood of the novel lacks dramatic emotions. The atmosphere is intellectual and cold; there are little descriptions of the setting. The main actions of the novel are the interactions between opinions, ideas, and attitudes, which weaves and advances the plot of the novel. The emotions in the novel are to be perceived beneath the surface of the story and are not to be expressed to the readers directly.

Austen's powers of subtle discrimination and shrewd perceptiveness is revealed in Pride and Prejudice; she is able to convey such a complex message using a simple, yet witty, style.

The main subject in the novel is stated in the first sentence of the novel: "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." In this statement, Austen has cleverly done three things: she has declared that the main subject of the novel will be courtship and marriage, she has established the humorous tone of the novel by taking a simple subject to elaborate and to speak intelligently of, and she has prepared the reader for a chase in the novel of either a husband in search of a wife, or a women in pursuit of a husband.

The first line also defines Austen's book as a piece of literature that connects itself to the 18th century period. Pride and Prejudice is 18th century because of the emphasis on man in his social environment rather than in his individual conditions. The use of satire and wit, a common form of 18th century literature, also contributes to label the book as 18th century. However, because Austen had allowed personal feelings of the characters to be expressed in her work, she can also be classified as Romantic. In the figure of Elizabeth, Austen shows passion attempting to find a valid mode of existence in society. Passion and reason also comes together in the novel to show that they are complementary of marriage.

when i read the book as a school girl i thought it was pretty boring...but reading it again years later, i understood the literary nuances!!!

Edited by jasunap on 30 October 2007 at 2:41am

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.

i haven't read this book yet!😉 lemme finish "sister of my heart" first and then will read this book - it's on my book shelf, but i never bothered reading it due to the plain title page!!😉

thamizhan

Well Pride and Prejudice is one of my fav books! i loved it a lot! 👏 👏 👏

This book is truly a romantic girl's dream come true, complete with suspense, misconceptions and, of course, a large supply of love 😳

This excellent novel stayed in my hands from the moment i picked it up until i reached the romantic conclusion.
The plot and characters draw the reader into a world where a person's acquaintances depend on social status and connections.

And most importantly this novel teaches everyone the valuable lesson that first impressions are often not truly representative of a person's character 😉

Coz at first we have Elizabeth developing a strong prejudice against Mr. Darcy and MR. Darcy having too much pride to associate with her becoz of her looks and social status.
Though, Mr. Darcy falls in love with Elizabeth, and through many mishaps, she learns to love him in return!!
and after many obstacles they finally get a happy ending!! 👏 👏 👏

I love this book!!! No wonder why i bought it! and the movie was great too!!

Love,
Gracella
I still havnt completed the book actually! 😆 Actually its also a part of my eng lit syllabus right, so im going slow as i have to make notes of everything! 😆 I have just read till chap 6, and till i think its ok.. Nothing great! 😳
what! nothing great 😭 😆 😆
Nah yaar i loved it..it's like a tv soap with the sisters etc 😉 😆 😆

Originally posted by Gracella

what! nothing great 😭 😆 😆
Nah yaar i loved it..it's like a tv soap with the sisters etc 😉 😆 😆

Actually till abi i havnt found it nuthing great cuz the novel is a lil slow i guess.. But im sure if its like an Indian Soap wid a tadka of romance, i will love it!😆

It is a beautiful novel. I read it much earlier.
i agree with jas.
when i read it first years ago, it was just plain and boring.
rereading it , i found it with tons of puns and looked at it a different way.
It isn't just a romantic book, it teaches us how to look deeper into a person. first impressions are everything.
It def. is a mini soap. Some things were totally predictable.
I love the character Lizzy becuase she stands up for her rights as a woman and doesn't fall into the weak character women usually play in the times of kinds and queens.
It was def. worth the read
=]
I am sooo sorrry 😳😳😳 I haven't been able to read it.. Actually I had to read The Handmaid's Tale in Three Weeks and do a five page paper on it.  So I could not read any other book.. I'll try to read it soon and then post a reply. 😳