Health & Fitness

DOTW: Mag 1 - Hair Care

mesmerized thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Hair is important to the appearance of men and women

Hair is much more complicated than it appears

Here I have put together information on hair so individuals can understand the basics of it.

WHAT IS HAIR MADE UP OF?

FACTS

- The average human head has about 100,000 hair follicles.

- Average hair loss is about 100 strands a day

- A single strand can support 100 grams in weight. That means a whole head of hair could (in theory) support the weight of two elephants.

- Asian hair grows the fastest and has the greatest elasticity.

- Africans and Europeans are more prone than Asians to balding.
- There is one thing about you that your hair cannot reveal: Your gender.

HAIR LOSS

Men and women lose their hair for different reasons and most of us are left feeling self-conscious and confused about how to find real solutions.

-COMMON BELIEFS –  TRUE/ FALSE?

'Some hairstyles can cause hair loss'
True. Styles that put tension on the hairs – such as tight ponytails, plaits or corn-rows – can cause hair loss. Winding hair tightly onto rollers (particularly heated rollers) can have the same damaging effect.

'Brushing the hair 100 times a day will stimulate the circulation and prevent hair loss'
False. Vigorous brushing is more likely to injure the hairs and make the problem worse.

'Hair needs to breathe, so wigs and toupees worsen loss of hair'
False. Hair does not need to breathe. Only the root of the hair is alive and this gets its oxygen from the blood in the scalp. Wigs and hairpieces will damage hair only if they are too tight.

'Frequent shampooing makes hair fall out'
False. Shampooing simply gets rid of the hairs that have already fallen out.

'Blow-drying and heated brushes can worsen hair loss'
True. The reason is that extreme heat damages the proteins in the hairs, making them fragile and liable to break off. Brushing the hair during blow-drying causes more damage. Careless use of heated brushes can even burn the scalp, so that the hair follicles are permanently damaged in that area.

'Protein-containing conditioners and shampoos nourish the hair and help it to grow'
False. Protein-containing conditioners only temporarily fill in defects on the surface of the hair shaft, making it smoother and thicker.

'Hair dyes, perms and hairsprays worsen hair loss'
False. Hair dyes, perms and hairsprays do not affect thinning hair. Perms and hairsprays can help to disguise the problem.

'Low levels of zinc in the body are a reason for hair loss'
Probably false. There is no evidence that low zinc levels cause hair loss in people taking a balanced diet or that zinc supplements improve hair loss.

'Stress can cause hair loss'
True. Scientists have now identified some chemicals that are produced in the body during periods of stress, which can affect hair growth

HOW TO PREVENT HAIR LOSS?

Simple! Preventing hair loss isn't hard and won't cost you a penny (or rupee). You might be getting bored of hearing the same old thing over and over again but I can't stress enough how important it is to follow these simple steps to not only improve hair loss but also your health:

a)       Drink plenty of water : our hair is made % of water so drinking water keeps hair hydrated

b)       Eat plenty of fresh fruits & vegetables, esp those which are rich in vitamin B

c)       Eat food contain zinc and copper very important for maintaining healthy hair

d)       Exercise!!! Any form of moderate movement that will circulate blood through your head will do!

e)       If all fails, I recommend you to go to your doctor or dermatologist.

DANDRUFF

Dandruff particles are visible flakes of skin that have been continuously shed from the scalp.

It is normal to shed some dead skin flakes as the skin is constantly renewing itself. The new cells form in the lower layers. They are gradually pushed to the surface as more new cells form beneath them. By the time they reach the surface, the cells have become flat and overlap each other like roof tiles. By then, these cells are dead and are shed from the surface all the time. They are so small that we do not notice this is happening.

With dandruff, this whole process of skin renewal (or skin turnover) speeds up, so a greater number of dead cells are being shed. Also, the cells are shed in clumps, which are big enough to be seen with the naked eye as embarrassing flakes, especially when they land on dark clothing. The scalp may also feel slightly itchy.

- PERVENT DANDRUFF

Home Remedies

There are a number of natural ways to combat the flaking and mild itch dandruff causes. An equal mixture of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice with a pinch of salt can be applied to the hair and left for several minutes before shampooing. In extreme cases apply the mixture at night and do not shampoo until the next morning. If you prefer, use the apple cider vinegar only as a rinse after you shampoo. The slight acidity of the vinegar and lemon juice act as a natural anti-fungicide and also help to remove excessive skin flakes.

Shampoo

The best way to lose dandruff is by washing your hair every two or three days a week with a medicated shampoo (I recommend shampoos that are suitable for sensitive hair as dandruff shampoos tend to be very powerful and can cause hair loss)

Also eat a diet rich in zinc and copper this should help get rid of those monsters.

If dandruff continues to be a constant problem, it is advisable to see your doctor / dermatologist about it.

USEFUL WEBSITES

I have included some useful sites for you to browse through:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00456.html

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/diseases_conditions/skin/hair _loss.html

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/men/general/081 .html

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/facts/dandruff.htm

If you have any information etc please do share πŸ˜ƒ

I apologise if any errors made😳

Any questions ? feel free to postπŸ˜›

In order to have great beautiful hair full of bounce you have to look after it!!! SO GOOD LUCK

Edited by anjaneajnabi - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kabhi_21 thumbnail
thanks for sharing πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘ .....
kabhi_21 thumbnail
So is having different hairstyles every month or two, without stress on hairs healthy?
mesmerized thumbnail

Originally posted by: kabhi_21

So is having different hairstyles every month or two, without stress on hairs healthy?

thxs

you should really stick to your natural hair style but you can do different styles every now and then but not too often as it can damage the natural shine of your hair ... hope that helps 😳

Advise!

i read somewhere in this section to apply lemon juice on ur scalp to reduce dandruff b4 taking shower...well my advise is not to apply too much lemon juice... too much lemon could give u a cold...i was gonnna put a handfull on my head when i had dandruff and luckily mom had seen me taking out the bottle of lemon juice and asked wht i was upto...then she preached me about applying too much lemon juice...she said to apply just one drop of it...bt i thought it wudn't be enuf...so what i did was poured the shampoo in my hand and then added 3 -4 drops of lemon juice..stirred it then applied it to the head...believe me it worked!...so applying too much lemon juice might give u a cold...so BEWAREEEE πŸ˜†

oh and tnx for the info😳

Edited by 2smart4u - 16 years ago