Kollywood discussion - part 2

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 16 years ago

Hi guys, Atina gave me a good suggestion...we should start from fresh in our new section, so opening this one....πŸ˜ƒ We will open a new one every 2 months or 1..what say??

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
UP,
I learned a lot from your responses and they are pretty good.
To my knowledge, no kollywood actress makes more than 35-40 lakhs in white. That is a pittance for being made to wear glamorous clothes, that too in just a couple of songs or scenes in a movie. That's calling it a stretch.
Shreya was smart - she had grown stale in gultland and made a splash in TN. And what a splash! Sivaji bagged more than 100 crores and her name's in there!! She is now a bigger household name than even most or all tamil actresses. What an achievement!
Sridevi acted extraordinarily in just one movie, 'moonram pirai' where she came 2 votes shy of winning the national award. As far as I know, she has no national awards. Meera Jasmine has, but does that make her the better actress? BTW, I think MJ is a tremendous actress.
Here are some instances in her factfile:
1) In 16 vayathinile, her very first movie she does an exhibition for Kamal. Standing in a pond she lifts her skirt for a leg show.
2) In 'Guru' she wears a white blouse and romps in the pond with Kamal. A lot is revealed. In 'Sigappu Rojakkal' she wears a swimsuit and plays in a swimming pool with Kamal. And 'Priya', don't even ask. She's modelling a mini-skirt for some unknown character.
3) In her very first Hindi movie she does the song "nainon me sapna" with an aging Jeetendar. She leaves nothing to the imagination.
These are all very few instances over a long career that can never be clouded. Today Sridevi is a cult figure and hearthrob to many yesteryear fans.
I don't see any reason why Shriya can't turn out that way. Give her time.
I've not seen any movies of Shriya's since Sivaji. After such a super duper success, it would be to Kollywood's/bollywood/hollywood to strike when the iron's hot - don't ask me WHAT iron? Or interest to get her the best story lines and milk her. And she has the rare power to refuse as well with her kind of popularity.
If after all that any one does not want to watch Shriya, their loss, kollywood/bollywood's/hollywood's gain. A bit of glamor does not hurt for entertainment. Otherwise we'll be getting into art v. commercial movies. It is a waste to watch any movie that gets bad reviews anyways.
mellisai thumbnail
Originally posted by: meli

Hi guys, Atina gave me a good suggestion...we should start from fresh in our new section, so opening this one....πŸ˜ƒ We will open a new one every 2 months or 1..what say??

meli, we can have different discussion on different threads..?

Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: ~*Thamizhan*~

meli, we can have different discussion on different threads..?

yeah....why not...but  different thread  like that?? Sri...read my PM to you soon naπŸ˜‰

jenim thumbnail
I didn't think the discussion was gonna go this way - that we are actually discussing Sridevi and not Shriya!

As I said before in the other thread, Shreya's skin show does not bother me personally. It's the comparison with Sridevi, that is totally irrational.

Your factfile is so biased, just touching on movies where SriDevi reveals a bit or more. Her first ever movie in Tamil as a heroine - Moondru Mudichu - she gave a splendid performance which earned her rave reviews, this I heard from my parents. I got a chance to watch that movie recently and they were 100% percent right. You think in those years, K.Balachander would've cast some one who can't act - like they do these days, when they cast people like Shriya b'cos they just look cute, can reveal a lot but score zilch in acting? Oh BTW, Shriya leaves nothing to the imagination either, puts item number actors like Mumtaz to shame.

There probably are other movies such as Vaazhve Maayam, Varumaiyin Niram Sivappu, Johnny and several others, where SriDevi did a tremendous job ***acting*** With SriDevi, one didn't have to wait several years like you're asking us to in the case of Shriya, just to find out, whether she has the potential to act or not.
And again, why are we supposed to wait? Didn't Shriya get the multi-million-dollar-exposure-movie Sivaji - an-once-in-a-life-time-offer for any heroine and what do you think happened there? She wasn't given the chance to act? She was so lame, given the kind of exposure where one would be desperate to showcase their acting skills (besides other display), she didn't even try hard mouthing her lines, let alone act. Horrendous!

I believe the initial discussion started in the context of Shriya's sluttiness and then you had to drag SriDevi into this, just to give an example that she wore sexy clothes as well and Oh.. that was a bad example.. Now, you have to drag Meera Jasmine into this, unnecessarily.

From what I see, Shriya is not exactly waiting for good story lines. For a few lakhs, which she got after much negotiation, is now dancing with Vadivelu for just one song in "Indira logathil Naa.Azhagappan". I also read that Ajith wanted her out, after they paid her an advance for the movie that he signed up with Raju Sundaram, as the Director. Looks like, Kollywood really doesn't care about the hot iron, after all ;-)
Soon she'll become stale here too, unless she can prove that she can act.

Bottomline, SriDevi proved her acting skills first, before she became a pin-up girl. And since we are on this, any day Sridevi has a sexier bod than Shriya. AND I'll eagerly wait for the day when Shriya will start mouthing her lines properly, while she is in Kollywood.

jagdu thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
j,
All your points are appreciated.
jasunap thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: jenim

I didn't think the discussion was gonna go this way - that we are actually discussing Sridevi and not Shriya!

As I said before in the other thread, Shreya's skin show does not bother me personally. It's the comparison with Sridevi, that is totally irrational.

Your factfile is so biased, just touching on movies where SriDevi reveals a bit or more. Her first ever movie in Tamil as a heroine - Moondru Mudichu - she gave a splendid performance which earned her rave reviews, this I heard from my parents. I got a chance to watch that movie recently and they were 100% percent right. You think in those years, K.Balachander would've cast some one who can't act - like they do these days, when they cast people like Shriya b'cos they just look cute, can reveal a lot but score zilch in acting? Oh BTW, Shriya leaves nothing to the imagination either, puts item number actors like Mumtaz to shame.

There probably are other movies such as Vaazhve Maayam, Varumaiyin Niram Sivappu, Johnny and several others, where SriDevi did a tremendous job ***acting*** With SriDevi, one didn't have to wait several years like you're asking us to in the case of Shriya, just to find out, whether she has the potential to act or not.
And again, why are we supposed to wait? Didn't Shriya get the multi-million-dollar-exposure-movie Sivaji - an-once-in-a-life-time-offer for any heroine and what do you think happened there? She wasn't given the chance to act? She was so lame, given the kind of exposure where one would be desperate to showcase their acting skills (besides other display), she didn't even try hard mouthing her lines, let alone act. Horrendous!

I believe the initial discussion started in the context of Shriya's sluttiness and then you had to drag SriDevi into this, just to give an example that she wore sexy clothes as well and Oh.. that was a bad example.. Now, you have to drag Meera Jasmine into this, unnecessarily.

From what I see, Shriya is not exactly waiting for good story lines. For a few lakhs, which she got after much negotiation, is now dancing with Vadivelu for just one song in "Indira logathil Naa.Azhagappan". I also read that Ajith wanted her out, after they paid her an advance for the movie that he signed up with Raju Sundaram, as the Director. Looks like, Kollywood really doesn't care about the hot iron, after all ;-)

Bottomline, SriDevi proved her acting skills first, before she became a pin-up girl. And since we are on this, any day Sridevi has a sexier bod than Shriya. AND I'll eagerly wait for the day when Shriya will start mouthing her lines properly, while she is in Kollywood.

very well said jenim.  who can forget her acting skills in movies like moonru mudichi, moondraam pirai where she stole the show from both rajni and kamal.....

and when she became the pin up girl who can forget the "i love you" song in mr india, where she is more explicit completely covered.....shreya is way out of sridevi's league jagdu....

Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
usha_pooja thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Shreya is out of Sridevi's league and her movies are the best!
netra_rama thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Jenim, i thought we had finish this in the previous tread?... Is it still going on?πŸ˜›.  But way to go gal. U have say it all and right......πŸ‘ Totally on your sida galπŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ƒ (read my pm to you πŸ˜›)

jigglypuff726 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

totally agree with this line!πŸ‘πŸ‘

jenim, you're simply fantastic!πŸ‘πŸ‘ i wanted to reply to this thread earlier but i got busy in some other work for other forums.

the comparison between shreya & sridevi is totally uncalled for. if shreya was compared to recent actresses like simran, it would have been more or less justified. but to compare her with sridevi is just pushing it.

about meera jasmine's national award that she got & sridevi's miss at getting the same award.. how can we even compare these 2 actresses? their style of performing, body language & expressions are entirely different.

meera jasmine got a national award for her role in 'kasthurimaan' in malayalam. and we are discussing about kollywood here, not mollywood.πŸ˜‰

meera never got a chance to express her full acting potential here in kollywood, she did so in mollywood & therby got a national award.

sridevi however expressed her full acting potential but for some reason missed out on the national award.

both are powerful actresses in their own way. how can we compare meera to sridevi when it comes to acting? sridevi has far more experience than meera.😊 sridevi was acting probably even before meera was born.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

okay.. agreed that shreya made a big, HUGE splash with Sivaji but she also got the tag that she was the weakest lead opposite rajinikanth. that girl can't even mouth her lines properly.

like jenim said, are we still supposed to wait for shreya to start acting? if she can't act in a shankar film, she just cannot act at all. shankar has made even the so-called wooden actresses perform in his films. an example would be nagma in 'khadhalan'.

suhasini maniratnam herself blasted shreya on tv saying that shreya's acting in Sivaji leaves much to be desired. are we saying that we know how to judge acting more than suhasini?😊

anyways, i'm sick & tired of arguing on this topic. i've already said that till shreya proves herself, she's never going to rise in esteem in some of our eyes. period.😊

btw, yesterday i was practically forced by sister to watch 'Azhagiya Tamil Magan'. it was horrid & i'm being nice when i say that.

i've come to the conclusion that any film with shreya in it isn't worth my time. she's truly a hopeless actress. the climax scene where she lies in bed after being stabbed by vijay & she has to mouth lines about chastity, sex and whatnot.. she didn't mouth her lines properly at all & her expressions? she looked as if she was constipated.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

vijay.. tsk.. what can i say? i hate the way he put on that accent sometimes when he delivers his dialogues. he is a HORRID actor. by horrid, i mean HORRID.🀒🀒🀒

ATM is one of vijay's worst films ever. where is the vijay in 'thirumalai'? his subtle controlled performance in that film was a treat to watch.πŸ˜› i want to see vijay in more films like Thirumalai. he was excellent in that film. now he's just a big dud.🀒🀒