Kollywood Masala

DOTW: Remakes - better or worse?

mellisai thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Discussion Of The Week
Remakes - Better or Worse than Original?

Hello everyone!!

it's time for our next dicussion and it's about remakes - can they be better than the original movie?

well, one movie which comes into mind when talking about remakes is the movies naan avan illai and billa; in the movies who do you think acted well?.. the actor in the original movie or the actor in the remake?  

is it right to make comparisons about the movies and the actors?

so have fun dicussing & please keep the discussion only about remakes!!πŸ˜‰ i also request each and everyone of you not to bash or attack an actor or any member in any way.

Thamizhan

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dits thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I'll wait to see wht others hv to say abt this........and then say my part 😊
Aahaana thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Its depends on what kind of remakes, we have two category. One of
remakes a movie from one language to another and the other one is
remakes on old classics movies. I think remakes of the same movie on
same language should be avoided. original movies should be left alone as
classics, thats why they are called for classics. Remakes does not live up
to the expectations and original...like Sripriya said in that 75 years
cinema celeb prog, remakes are attempts to make money without
working too hard and spend lots of money for script writing etc πŸ˜† Its
just so sick to steal somebody elses hard work 😑

But I have seen remakes where the remakes has comed out well than the
original version, like Oceans eleven, the original was 🀒 so i believe
sometimes, remakes can come out well if they tales old flops and work
hard on😊

talking about Naan avan illai, I only saw the remake one, never saw the
old so no comments there. Billa, well, rajins was a classic while ajiths was
stylish πŸ˜‰ Edited by meli - 16 years ago
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
My rule is simple. There should not be any remakes. Films should be well left alone; no matter how successful they are. That's why they are classics. Remakes have been flops - Don is an example, and although Billa is a box-office hit (apparently), it invites unfortunate comparisons. Could Ajith surpass Rajni? No, he couldn't, he didn't. Could the music overshadow the original Billa? No, it couldn't, it didn't. Was Billa 2007 better than the original Billa? No, a thousand times no.

This rule should not just apply to Kollywood but Bollywood and Hollywood too. Don was a flop. Now apparently they are remaking Sholay. Why? LEAVE THE CLASSICS ALONE. And Amitabh is supposed to do the role of Gabbar Singh, made into an iconic villain Amjad Khan. Why? Why? Why?????????

REMAKES SHOULD BE BANNED!!!! (Yes, I am shouting, that's how strongly I feel about it). πŸ˜†
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Apparently the new Sholay was called Aag after the original makers threatened to sue the new producers. Aag was released in 2007 and Amitabh did play the role of a villain.

Needless to say, it was a flop. πŸ˜†
brinny_g thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
oh, god, karthikka i agree with you about sholay...what a FLOP!! and an insult to the original too.
ajay devgan and that cute guy (ddnt even catch his name) shared 0 per cent of the chemistry that Big B and Dharmendra did...the only good thing about the film was Sushmita Sen (surprisingly πŸ˜•)
Caryn thumbnail
No remakes please. Yewwwwww............ kolapi and naru vachiranga pah!! Seriously.. after one or two remakes which really put me off, I won't watch another remake again. The songs and the movie of original Billa was superb. After watching Rajni's Billa, I am not ready to watch Ajith's Billa for the fear of what the director would have done to butcher the movie itself.

And after hearing all my cousins comments about Ajith's Billa, my fear is justified. My cousins (new generation) have not watched Rajni's Billa and are big fans of Ajith. They came out so disappointed like their whole world collapsed. πŸ˜ƒ πŸ˜ƒ

I did not watch Naan Avan Illai - the original or the remake. But from what I saw the excerpts of the new movie, the actor is doing a good job in acting dept.
Dits thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Karthikka

Apparently the new Sholay was called Aag after the original makers threatened to sue the new producers. Aag was released in 2007 and Amitabh did play the role of a villain.

Needless to say, it was a flop. πŸ˜†

I bet! I was crying in the theatre, thinking how I wasted my dad's money.

The only saving grace of the movie was Mohanlal. His subdued subtle performance was superb! No, I'm not shwoing regionalism here. The only problem with himwas his Hindi pronounciationπŸ˜•

brinny_g thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Caryn

I did not watch Naan Avan Illai - the original or the remake. But from what I saw the excerpts of the new movie, the actor is doing a good job in acting dept.

Yep Caryn, Naan Avanillai was really good, for a remake, but I havent seen the original, so I can't compare with Gemini Ganesan. Jeevan is a good actor, especially in semi-villain roles, and he did pull it off very well.

suram thumbnail

I just hate remakes!!!!! However talentd the actors are, they still fail to impress the audience in a remake-Classic example SRK in Don, just couldn't come close to Amitabh!! Even Helen was so much better in the original than Kareena in the item number!!!

As for Big B he himself could not match Amjad Khan's performance in Sholay!!!

Only Devdas was a fluke!!! That too I think coz of the lavish sets etc...People still compared SRK's performance to the tragedy king Dilip Kumar!!!!

As for tamil movies!!!!! Man it scares me no end.... they are planning to remake Murattu Kalai with Vijay, Moondru mugam with Vikram and Kalyanaraaman I think also with Vikram!!!!!( May be rumours I donno!)

Come on ..these movies are an out and out classics of rajini and kamal...dont want the present day directors screwing them up!!!!

I HATE REMAKE MOVIES AND WORSE REMIX SONGS!!!!!!!Period!