Aratai Arangam-Pudusa/Payaisa-Theme-3pg11 - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago
Caryn, excellent rebuttals....well done. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ ๐Ÿ‘

Jay,no Naradar work, OK? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Anju dear, where is our team leader's post? Pls add it to our team's postings. Here, I come.
Honourable judge and all my friends,

Good Morning/afternoon/night to you all.
I have come to speak for the topic that old is gold.
The great Shakespeare in "Twelfth Night", says,
If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it, that surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
Music has no language but the songs have a language and expresses what pure music fails to express to some ignorant souls. We have songs for every occasion and we play or sing the songs to suit our mood. All the old songs are immortal mainly due to the lyrics. Appreciation of music is very seasonal but the impact the lyrics makes is immense.

Karthikka: You quoted the wrong song for the recent times. "enna thavam seydhanai yasodha, engum nirai parabrahmam ennai amma enrazhaikka" is originally written by Papanasam Sivan. The rest of the song starting with aalangkuyil is written by Vairamuthu.
karthikka honey: You can relax. "Oram po" song has no double meanings if you listen to the complete lyrics. This is a song which comes in the movie when the innocent and somewhat stupid hero is learning to ride a bike with the help of his kid friends. Infact, the song was banned in the radios because lot of young men used to sing it when girls rode their bikes. The censor board was so strict that they banned anyone playing the song even in marriage function mike sets. In those days, there were no stricter laws for eve teasing like we have now. So, ban ban ban. I don't know if the censor board even exists now.
In those days, numerous songs have been written about everyone's favourite subject,"LOVE" and it is impossible to quote just a few of them. The opposite team cannot refuse that this is their all time favourite love song between a husband and wife.
I would like to start with my all time favourite song "kaNNan oru kai kuzhandhai" from the movie BathrakaaLi released in 1976.
Listen and see the complete lyrics here:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.428 7/
See the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fi_dnecUt0
While singing a lullaby, the wife perceives her husband to be a baby and describes the beauty of the baby, kannan and the husband is so overwhelmed with her love that he wants to be with her in all his 7 births.
She sings:
kaNNan oru kai kuzhandhai
kaNgal sollum poonkavidhai
kannam sindhum then amudhai
kondu sellum en manadhai
kaiyirandil naaneduththu paaduginren aaraaro
mai vizhiye thaalelo
maadhavane thaalelo

He sings:
yezh pirappum iNaindhirukkum
sontham indha sontham ammaa
vaazhvirukkum naaL varaikkum
thanjam undhan nenjam ammaa (No other words can express his love so much like these simple lyrics).
gaayathri manthiraththai uchcharikkum
bakthan ammaa ....(wife's name is Gayathri and I am sure everyone knows gayathri manthram. Pun intended here. )
ketkum varam kidaikkum varai
kaN uRakkam maRandhadhammaa

Here is another immortal love song which is remembered for the lyrics: Vaan nila nila alla (Pattinap pravesam) 1977.
Pls listen and see the lyrics here:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.518 8/
Watch the video here: http://www.tubetamil.com/view_video.php?viewkey=81880c4 f2c82958de8cf (Bonus to arasi fans, watch young KK here). :)
vaan nila nila alla
un vaalibam nilaa
thEn nilaa enum nilaa
en dhevi in nilaa
nee ilaadha naaLellaam naan theyndha vennilaa
(The young lover says that the real moon is not the one in the sky but his sweetheart's youth. When she is not around, he is like the waning moon.
There is only minimal instruments used here, violin mainly and the lyrics dominate with the rhyming "la" and the usage of the word "nila".
maan illaadha oorile saayal kaNNilaa
poovilaadha maNNile jaadai peNNilaa
He compares his lady love to a deer and flower. He ends the song with this line asking the real moon to tell him why his lady has innumerable wishes.
eNNilaa aasaigaL en nilaa kondadhen? (Why does my sweetheart(calling her moon) have countless wishes?
adhai solvaay veNNilaa. (Tell me, (real) moon.)
Then comes the sweet violin. The song became a super duper hit, not because of the music, but only because of the catchy lyrics. Compare this song to the recent one, where the hero compares the heroine to a cd. ๐Ÿ˜† vaadi vaadi, vaadi, kai padaadha cd.... (Everyone will agree that our stand is right.)

Who wouldn't like to sing to their kids? Here is a song bringing out the beautiful Mother-daughter relationship and I am sure all the mothers would have related themselves to the singer here whenver they listen to this song.
This song "Azhagiya kaNNE, uRavugaL neeye" is about a mother abused by her husband who seeks solace from her kids. It is from the movie udhirip pookkaL released in 1979.
Link to listen and see the lyrics:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.556 6/
Link to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDTwcogFH9Y
She sings to her daughter,
azhagiya kaNNE
uRavugaL neeyE
nee enge ini naan angE
en sEy alla thaay nee (You are not my daughter but my mother.)

sorgam eppOdhum nam kaiyilE
adhai naan kaaNgiREn un kaNNilE (Here she has a positive appraoch towards life. Heaven or hell, it is in your hands and she sees heaven in her daughter's eyes. This is conveyed through just a sentence which is coined with words we use in everyday speech and see the effect it creates!) Netra, what do you not understand in these simple lyrics?

In those days, the lyricists not only wrote meaningful, impressive lyrics but they also used poetic devices such as rhyme, simile, meataphor etc. With all the English vocabulary used in the current day lyrics, see how poetic these 2 songs are where the lyricist follows the "anthaadhi" pattern where the hero sings a line and the heroine starts with the last word of the hero and the hero continues with the last word in the heroine's line.
Songs are Adi veLLi thedi unnai and Vasantha kaala nadhigalile from "Moonru mudichchu" released in 1976.
Listen here:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.485 5/
Watch aadi velli here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWaLtWiHbJo
The lyrics goes like this:
Hero: aadi veLLi thedi unnai naan adiandha neram
kodi inbam naadi vandhen kaaviriyin ORAM
Heroine: ORAK kannil ooRa vaiththa then kavidhai chaaram
osaiyinri pesuvadhu aasaiyennum VEDHAM
and the song goes on.

Watch vasantha kaala nadhigalile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0VQbkh1oe4
Same anthaadhi pattern is followed in vasantha kaala nadhigaLile song. Lyricists not only presented decent lyrics but also used the literary styles to adorn their songs those days when compared to the English dominated lyrics which makes us wonder if we are listening to a Tamil song or English song.

When someone is feeling in low spirits, a song goes a long way to cheer him / her up.
Listen to and watch this song "sugamo aayiram from the movie "ThunaiyiruppaaL meenaakshi" released in 1977.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3C_JuW4bqs
The husband has a financial problem and the wife cheers him up saying that life is full of ups and downs like the waning and waxing moon. For a woman real beauty is in punnagai(smile) not in wearing pon nagai(gold jewellery).
vaazhkkai enraal ingu naalum undu
andha vattaththile oru thittam undu
vaLarndhaalum kuraindhaalum
nilavundu oLi veesum
adhaik kaanum balam vendum (He should be ready to face his problems.)
punnagaiyil vandha pennazhagu
oru pon nagaiyil illai nalluravu
enai neeyum
unai naanum unarndhaale adhu podhum (Money is not important, only understanding between the spouses matters the most.)

There are lots of songs which depict the love between brother-sister, friends, parents, all other relations, Songs about Nature, devotional, philosophical, marriage, friendship, baby songs...any theme, you name it, we can come up with a very popular and decent song.
The recent songs are full of lyrics that misguide the younger generation and degrade the culture and traditions. When compared, there is no doubt that the old songs are excellent in lyrics and remain evergreen in our minds.
I would conclude by giving few examples of old songs and new songs and no soul would fail to support our stand that old is gold.
Song "En kaNmani un kaadhali" from chittukkuruvi released in 1978.
Link to listen and read the lyrics:
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/tamil/s/movie_name.431 1/
Link to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFqudr4Kv94
Old: Male: medhuvaaga unnaik konjam thoda vendume..
Female: iru thOLilum maNa maalaigaL
vandhaadum vELAi enRu koodumenRu
thavikkinRa thavippennavo (Even for touching her slightly, the lady says that he needs to marry her.)

Recent songs where the female sings:
Thee pidikka thee pidkka muththam kodudaa...etc
Kattip pudi kattip pudi daa kaNNaaLaa kanda padi kattipudi daa....
Dei, kaiyai vachchikkittu summaa irudaa
Rendule onnu thoda variyaa?
chinna veedaa varattumaa, periya veedaa varattumaa?
En chellap peru apple, nee size aa kadichukko
I can name so many of them.

Karthikka talked about sagalakala vallavan song. Kamal was so popular in those times and the glittering pants was in fashion in those days and he had such a huge group of lady fans. Now that the glittering pants are not in fashion anymore, you may be feeling like this. If we start talking about present day costumes,dear karthikka, new song stand will fail miserably. So, let's not go there, hon. :)
In all sincerity, please tell me : can you listen to these songs when your kids and family, especially elders, are around?
Netra is asking,"why listen to kalyanam than kattikittu" song if it is bad? Netra hon, We hate to listen but all the tv channels play and popularise songs like this and the sad part is that the parents take pride in saying that their toddlers are dancing so well to this song.
I hope the judge and the audience will unanimously agree with me that the lyrics of the olden times rule. It is OLD SONGS AND OLD SONGS ONLY that have found a secret place in everyone's heart.
Thanks for the opportunity and please do not fail to watch and listen to the gems I have quoted. There may be songs in the olden times which have bad lyrics but they are very rare and the censor board was very much alive those days. Nowadays, we have to look for songs with decent lyrics with a magnifying glass because only a handful exist. Netra, my friend, please do
not challenge with the world vote which will make your team weak.
Pazhamai enRum INIMAI.

Edited by Vinuthasri - 16 years ago
QUOTE=netra_rama]

My dear IF members. Sorry for the delay, annalum late vantalum, latesthah vandethun๐Ÿ˜†.

come along and welcome...

Oh dear, how can old songs be compared to new ones? No way. Im here today to strongly support new songs. Old songs are nice to hear but difficult to understand. They blend lots of words. We have to swim into their twisted words in order to understand what they are trying to say. But that's how it was in olden days.

twisted words??? i think you ought to change the phrasing.  maybe you mean difficult words, maybe you mean words used in chaste tamil or pulavar tamizh which are a bit difficult to understand unless you know the language.  but then poetry used to be written in such a language.and that is what made poetry different from the use of  colloquailisms present in todays lyrics and makes it a class apart!

But can you write some twisted lyrics nowdays? People now prefer something they can understand face โ€“ straight to the point meaning. Now days songs are more easy to understand.

oh yes my dear....lyrics are indeed twisted these days....they are either meaningless or have innuendos, and double entendre is the flavour of the day....i am sure you have read all those songs quoted by my team member vinu...there are many many moreexamples.  they may be a lot more easy to understand than the old tamil poetry...but try explaining the meanings to little children who mindlessly sing these songs at various functions and festivals!!!๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Lets go back to some remarks from the opponents team. 20% good and 80% bad in new songs? Try a world vote and you will see the results of  90% good and 10% bad.

you are right...probably voting will get all the teens and youngsters to vote for the new songs.  but then they are just the flavour of the day/week/month/year.  they do not have the sustainability that the songs of the 60s continue to have even today 40 years later....i wonder how many people will remember most of the new songs in 20 years time...

"Kalyanam than kattikettu oodipolama, Illa oodi poye kalyanam thaan kattikelamaโ€ฆ" Well I would admit we can't sing these songs with kids around, but why this song when there are lots of other good songs can sang to the kids?

exactly.  why this song when there are millions of other songs!!!  cos  this is aired in most channels.  

Movie : indra

hae achcham achcham illai ini adimai ennam illai
nam kaalam ingae koodippoachchu kanneer michchamillaiyae
hae achcham achcham illai ini adimai ennam illai
nam kaalam ingae koodippoachchu kanneer michchamillaiyae

kaalam maarippoachchu nam kanneer maarippoachchu
naalai nalla naalai enra nambikkai undaachchu
kaalam maarippoachchu nam kanneer maarippoachchu
naalai nalla naalai enra nambikkai undaachchu

I just can't stand when they say no is no excellent lyrics in new songs. What about this song for a mother โ€ฆ.

Movie : New

kaalaiyil dhinamum kaN vizhithaal
naan kai thozhum dhevadhai amma
anbendraalae amma, en thaay poal aagiduma (2)
imai poal iravum pagalum ennai kaatha annaiyae
un anbu paartha pinbu adhai vida vaanam bhoomi yaavum siRiyadhu

Here are more songs which contains excellent lyrics.

Movie : Autograph

Ovvoru pookalumey solkirathey
Vaazhvendraal poaraadum poarkalamey
Ovvoru vidiyalumey solkirathey
Iravaanaal paghal ondru vandhidumey
Nambikkai enbathu vaendum num vaazhvil
Latchiyam nichchayam vellum oru naalil
Maname oh maname nee maarividu
Malayoa athu paniyoa nee moadhi vidu

Ullam endrum eppoadhum
Udainthu poaghe koodaathu
Enne indhe vaazhkayendre
Ennam thoandre koodaathu
Endhe manithan nenjukkul
Kaayam illai sollungal
Kaalapoakil kaayamellaam
Marandhu poaghum maayangal

If you read through the whole song, you will have tears rolling down. Beautifully and well said about our believes and strength.

Not to forget, friendship. Here are few songs that well describe about friendship.

Movie : Priyamana Tholi

kaatrae poongaatrae oru kavidhai solvaayaa
viNNil sellaththaan un siRaghugal tharuvaayaa
thendralaai varukiraen pookkaLaai pookkavaa
vaarththaiyaay varughiraen paadalaay paadavaa

movie : April Madhatil

kanavugaL pookkum
aaNdugaL thodangum january maadhathil
kaadhalai solla thaedhigaL uNdu february maadhathil
thaervugaL vandhu thollai kodukkum march maadhathil
ellaa naaLum vidumuRai dhaanae april maadhathil

engoa piRandhu engoa vaLarndhu ingae ondraanoam
elloar veedum ondraay maaRa yaezhettu thaay kaNdoam
thalai koadha thoazhan vandhaan thuyarangaL oadipoagum
mudiyellaam naraikkum poadhum natpoadu naam vaazhvoam
kalloori thandha paadam dhaan kaalathaal maRandhu poagumae
kalloori natpu dhaan ada endrum maRakkadhey

excellent choice of songs. now you see what we mean.  you are able to pick three songs at random....when it comes to beautiful lyrics, soulful tunes, and refreshing music.

every where the point seems to be settling around the lyrics.  but then the lyrics alone dont make a song... there are many disaster where the lyrics have been wonderful but the music and rendition have not made the songs popular....and absolutely crass lyrics done with a little catchy tune has become popular.  so the reasons for a song to be popular and loved has to be the lyrics, the meaning, the emotion conveyed by the singer, the rendition, the soulfulness and oh so many other factors all put together!!

from among 2000 songs of today you pick three good ones. 

and 2000 songs of yesteryear...we pick 3 bad ones!!!

viva la difference!!!

I don't have to elaborate more on all the songs that I've given as its easy to understand and provides good meanings. I can go on hours and hours, pages by pages for the new song lyrics and meanings. Im stepping aside now and my fellow team members will be back with much stronger points. Thank you for giving me this opportunity.

netra๐Ÿ˜ณ

[/QUOTE]

Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago
Jas: You voiced all my thoughts. :)
Caryn says kalyanam than kattikittu song is a message to all parents. Songs should give good message to children also. Parents are adults but it is children who need good advice. If you see the situation of this song in the movie, both side parents were not against the hero and heroine's love marriage. The song would have had some meaning if the parents didn't accept their love.
summaa irukkum podhe, ipdi paadinaa, ennamma arththam?
Netra could quote only songs on mother, inspirational song to kids and friendship songs because these are the only themes the lyricist cannot mess up with.
Anjali song from the movie "Duet" was released in 1994 and Indhira song was released in 1995. What about songs from 2000? Even in the early 90 movies Duet, there was a song kaththirikka gundu kaththirikkaa and you know the standard of that song. In the movie Indhira, there is another one "odakkaara maari muthu" song which is not inspirational one to kids.
If you see in the media, young participants who want to become singers choose songs from 60's and 70's and 80's. The new songs may be popular in the younger generation but they will not have an everlasting appeal. This craze is just shortlived whereas old songs are always a treat to us.
Originally posted by Karthikka

Caryn, excellent rebuttals....well done. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ ๐Ÿ‘

Jay,no Naradar work, OK? ๐Ÿ˜‰

naradava ๐Ÿ˜•??? naana ๐Ÿ˜•??? yaaru avaru๐Ÿ˜•???? iva enna paesara๐Ÿ˜ฒ???
and tell me one more thing my wonderful opponents....if the old songs were not so sustaining i wonder why so many of them are being remixed are a major hit these days...thottal poo malarum is an example for this one!!! the same voices, the same lyrics, the same melody...just a variation i the tune...Edited by jasunap - 16 years ago

Jas and Vinu, you reflected my thoughts through lines. If we start talking about old songs, one year is not sufficient to talk about its beauty.

I do not find much wrong with Sakalakalaa vallavan -- he use to say how much he is capable of doing all things. Karthikka, if you say kamal's costume is bad that day, what can you say about today's ....

My father use to make fun of modern sense of dress when road laying ppl lay the road. He said, they will lay the road like actress dress. No need to explain this statement. But it is true.

Netra: Twisted words in old songs aa? go and read all the old songs posted by Vinu, Kavi, Roja akka, Jas and me and explain where you have not followed the lyrics and information conveyed. Netra ma, you can quote some good songs with magnifying glass only from early 1990's. As per my knowledge those are NOT new songs, those are MODERATE songs. NEW means last generation, which is nothing but just passed 10 yrs, can you quote atleast 20 very good songs from 2000's immediately????? Voting.... don't ever try. if it happens I am sure maximum votes to OLD songs only.

Caryn: Msg to parents..... funny. As Vinu said msg has to be conveyed to kids for their well being. Now a days only non-sense songs are aired all the time in all the channels. 

I use to watch Sun Music once upon a time when they aired very old, old, moderate songs. Now they are giving preference to only new songs. I lost interest. Not only me, I know many folks like me.

Karthikka: Naradar Jay. Yes ma. She is telling the truth, ONLY truth like Naradar, b'cos his intension is to get the good for everyone.

Jas: Naradar is son of Bhramma, extreme devotee of Vishnu. He is saint ma. He pass the message between opponents, so that the end result will be good. We say "Naaradar Kalagam Nanmaiyil Mudiyum".

I agree Ja, too much of remix these days. Netra quoted song from Parthiban Kanavu. That movie has old song remix. "Ooo.. buck buck buck maada puraa, yenge yenthen jodi pura......"

Parthiban Kanavu has the song: "theeratha dhum mu venum, thittadha appu venum, kurai yaadha quater venum, kondaada natpu venum....."  --- yes one must need such a friend

Apparam April maadhadil: "site adipom, dhum adipom, thaniiya thaan kalanthadipom, Naanga books aa mattum thotudave maattom......."  ---- this is how the college students are leading to now a days..... I am a college professor ma..... I know very well about variety of students just by seeing them once.

Edited by Fluidd - 16 years ago
jas: They do not use the same voice. I wish they did or use some singer who knows how to pronounce. See how the singer does a kolai of the tamil language in pon magal vandhaal song from azhagiya tamil magan. Just listen to these words in the new song:
muththukkal sirikkum nilaththil
thiththikkum ninaippai vidhaikkum....
And in engeyum eppodhum song, how they have added the rap part. I wish they stop remixing old songs. Please leave the old songs alone. New lyricists, write your own lyrics. :)
Fluidd: Good points. :)How can you think Jas doesn't know who naradhar is? She knows very well and she is a good person who wants to end things well like naradhar, as you said. :)