Book Talk

Discussion: Invisible Literature

cool_pooja thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Welcome friends to another discussion of the week!! 😃 Invisible Literature hmm many of you must be confused by this subject..

I'm talking abt JG Ballard's concept of invisible literature- the things that all of us read every day, but which don't count as formal literature: the catalogue,s the phone book, trade/professional magazines, the instructions for ur new printer/mobile. And I guess, those embarrassing self-help guides on how to stop biting my nails and be more popular.

Does anyone track their reading of this sort of thing? How many of us ignore these kind of things and dont even count dem as reading? 😆

Share ur thoughts

Book Talk. Dev Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lucky_lakshmi thumbnail
well its not said "Invisible" for no reason...
for not many of us do give it a thought and I am no exception! 😳
jdsean thumbnail
I didn't even know they had a name for it Invisible Literature. Very interesting. I don't count it as reading, but I"m sure I read a lot of those Invisible. I don't keep track at all.   ðŸ˜ƒ
cool_pooja thumbnail
@jdsean: Even i didnt knew dey had a name for id.. I was just going through sum topics on yahoo abt literature and i came across id and i thought to share id..😆I didnt even knew dey called it literature..😆 But yes i also like everyone do not keep a track of these things.. I mean no1 does.. But yes dese things r of a lot of importance in our everyday lives! 😃
Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
loll...even I dun consider reading phone books or yellow pages as reading 😆 😆 😆

I don't read self help books since I don't think I need some highly smug annoying idiot to tell me how run my own life 😆 😆 😆

It's only when I'm reading fiction that I really feel like its literature 😉 😳
NYC_gurl_17 thumbnail
yea i don't really consider that reading either. I never knew they had a name for it though.I never pay attention to stuff like that. I feel literature is more meaningful like in fan-fics or casual books rather than a yellow book or something in that sort. 😛
cool_pooja thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: xMarauderx

loll...even I dun consider reading phone books or yellow pages as reading 😆 😆 😆

I don't read self help books since I don't think I need some highly smug annoying idiot to tell me how run my own life 😆 😆 😆

Thats a really nice opionon! 😆

It's only when I'm reading fiction that I really feel like its literature 😉 😳

Khobsurat_11 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: NYC_gurl_17

yea i don't really consider that reading either. I never knew they had a name for it though.I never pay attention to stuff like that. I feel literature is more meaningful like in fan-fics or casual books rather than a yellow book or something in that sort. 😛

same here