Lead India

R K Misra is the Lead India Winner

monu_tan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 16 years ago
Former president APJ Abdul Kalam announced the man from Bangalore as the winner of Lead India's grand finale held at Noida's Film City on Saturday. Misra was on a strong wicket throughout the show, with all but one of the judges giving him their vote.

t was a journey that began 42 years ago in Sonari, a small, impoverished village in UP's Sitapur district. The stage shifted to IIT Kanpur, then Tokyo University. A series of start-ups followed, with a stint in the US thrown in. But on Saturday night, life came full circle for R K Misra. As he outlined a plan to set up a cooperative dairy farm to transform life in the village where he was born, the jury and audience was visibly moved.

After 10 rounds of challenging tasks and the scrutiny of hawk-eyed judges, it proved to be the decisive moment, helping Misra emerge winner of the Lead India contest. The man who never hesitates to speak his mind has often said that he believes he could be prime minister of India within 18 years. He has now taken a huge stride forward towards his ambitious goal.

Nanavati and Misra made for the perfect finalists as they complimented each other in the last round. "Devang argues his case well. I must learn that from him," said Misra.

"RK is a doer, not a talker," conceded Nanavati. Both finalists' families were also in the audience. In a moment right out of the movies, when Misra's father said, "Both boys are my sons. My blessings are with both of them."

The jury cast their vote, the audience polled in their choice, the SMS count rose steadily. In the end, Misra was the man of the hour.

As A P J Abdul Kalam presented him with a certificate and a cheque for Rs 50 lakh, the Bangalore finalist repeated rival Nanavati's words: "This is not the end of Lead India. The actual journey has just begun."