An interview with Saroj Khan -- Article

appu_m thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Telly Talk

Dancing queen, Saroj Khan shares her insights on the future of Dance with me

Q Tell us a little about your show on NDTV Imagine?

The show is about a guru who teaches dance to students free of cost. I found the concept quite good, as nowadays many people want to learn dance so I thought, why not give them a platform to do just that. The show is a medium through which I will teach students dance by helping him or her identify the beat of the music - just as I teach on the sets. The best part is that there is no age bar, so whether young or old, everybody can dance with me.

Q Do you plan to direct or act in a movie as you have done before?

No, I do not intend to take up direction or acting; I did that earlier just as a friendly gesture. I wish to stick to choreography .

Q Are you happy with the dance scenario in Bollywood?

Nowadays every song in a movie looks almost the same , maily the item numbers. There is no specific movement, which is seen. But some years back this was not the case. Each song had its own unique steps; for example, take the Dhak Dhak song by Madhuri. The scenario has changed in the past four to five years.

QWhat do you think should be done to improve the existing scenario?

I feel that we should have different songs with different movements and steps. We have such a rich culture but we are just aping the West. We should stick to our roots and incorporate forms like folk, bhangda etc in mainstream choreography.

QWhat's your take on reality shows?

I think reality shows have really made a lot of impact on the audience. Everyone wishes to be dancer and is learning dance. A reality show made housewife Tina (Hussain's wife) a dancer. I think it has helped her to grow as a dancer. I remember the blindfold dance, which is not an easy task even for the professionals, but despite being a non-dancer she did it. Therefore I am in favour of reality shows.

QWhat is the message that you wish to give to aspiring choreographers?

I just wish to tell them that they should come up with something new every time. Be creative in your steps. Don't use common dance steps. This is how one can create a unique style of dancing and also make their mark in the industry. Make use of our rich Indian culture in your choreography.

Q What are your recent projects in hand and what do you plan for the future?

Shooting for the movie Aladdin has just been completed; and now I wish to take my journey of dance ahead by coming up with an Academy of my own.

Courtesy : www.deccan.com

Please reply 😳

Edited by appu_m - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sam_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago