Book Talk

Discussion: 1 author - Two names

cool_pooja thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Welcome friends to another discussion of the week! 😃 Many of the authors write under two names like Nora Robberts.. So lets discuss this mysterious "reason" for writing under two names today..😆

While some authors have a desire for pseudonym (writing all of one's books under an assumed name), some authors write some books under 1 names and some books under another name..For example Norra Robberts/ J.D Robb.. Now there are even news that John Banville has published other books under the name of Benjamin Black.

What do u think is the reason for this? Isnt this wierd dat they want to write some books under 1 names and other books under another name? Is it bec they write some books of one genre under 1 name and other books of other genre under some other name? Why cant they write books of 2 genres under 1 name only just make them different series?

Share your views

Book Talk. Dev Team

Edited by cool_pooja - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

This content was originally posted by: cool_pooja

What do u think is the reason for this? Isnt this wierd dat they want to write some books under 1 names and other books under another name? Is it bec they write some books of one genre under 1 name and other books of other genre under some other name? Why cant they write books of 2 genres under 1 name only just make them different series?

Share your views

Book Talk. Dev Team

Hey interesting topic.

Well yeah when reading your post, i was also thinking so they have one genrre under one name and another under the second name.

Well f they are under one name, and two different series makes more sense. However you tend to find, some autors have one serie and several books, and they ae then associated with that only.

Look at J.K Rowling - Now she wil always be associated with the HP Books, - in a way that is a good thing as then peopl wil buy her others books later on but may not like it as they associate her with HP.

If undr a second name hat series may alsbecome moe popular as theywill be readin a book an not associate it with her in particular and like the book for te book and not just because she wrote it.

Thisis also the case in Poetry - to remain anonymous. Appreciate the poetry for what it is and not because shakespeare wrote it etc.

I remember reading Elizabeth-Barret-Brownings poem, and she used to write poetry for her own reasos and she published them later under a different name - poems for the potuguese - very strange but as poems were pesonal fr her hubby, only he persuaded her to publish them but he did not want tobe linkd with them i guess. 😳

cool_pooja thumbnail
@Saira: Seriously im running out of topics for Book talk and u call dis intresting.😆

Well i agree.. Usually it is bec they right on different genres and maybe as u said, dey want to keep it different and dont want dem to associate it wid thier earlier works..

However even if for example Norra Robberts writes mystery/thriller and romance under one name, im sure people would regard id as different work as the genres are completly different..Also even through she writes them under different names, people knoe dey are by her.. 😳
divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Because the books are different genre under the different names...JD Robb is a series based on a cop while under Nora Roberts she writes acutally, historical, paranormal and regular stories.

I think quiet a few writers who churn out kind of series of book do that, its to attract different types of readers.