Debate Mansion

Are women really free from social rules?

Anuradha thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Continuing the celebration for Women's day, we have a very much needed debate... 😊

We say that women are now on par with men... They are more independent and are free to take their own decisions... They have a say in the running of the family, They are treated equally to men and are now more privileged than the women of the past.. She is no more a person who stays inside the four walls taking care of the house hold..

But the big questions is - Is she really free?????

Even now in many parts of the world, women are not given proper education.. If there is a boy and a girl in a house, more importance is given to the boy of the house... Before marriage, she has to listen to what her parents say and they are the one to take decisions for her and after marriage she needs to take permissions from her In-Laws...

Even now when a girl walks alone on the road side or walks alone into a restaurant, she gets a strange look from all the people around... Even now she is side lined and we hear so much about women harassment.. The government also works more on men's team in sports than for the women.. Though many social rules have been abolished, There are still many rules in the society which binds her..

Though she is praised for what she is, has she till now achieved the 100% freedom in life?????

And the next questions is will she ever achieve 100% freedom???

Please do share your views on this 😊

Edited by Anuradha - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
well....its not done yet.....u we're getting there! So yea ofcourse women will rock on from here on....much more than the men πŸ˜‰
Well i think women do maybe being from uk definetly most women have jobs, educated etc though the law does help as well πŸ˜› ...as for rest no persons ever free they always have some kind of pressure on them.As for inlaw and parents guess to extent have right but nowadays from what i have seen anyways most tend to take a step back as the kids are more independent and have more choices.

This is purely a uk born and brought up view i know in india things are slightly different
SholaJoBhadkey thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Almost all the rules were made for women, so I guess it will take a while to break several centuries worth of shackles! πŸ˜›   
infiniti1215 thumbnail
wow...great topic!!!!!!!
ummm hmmm here.. even in usa....women r still payed less then men for SAME job!!!! (i did a research project in 9th grade on this πŸ˜‰ ) n sooo no.... woman r still not really free from social rules... n hehe i gotta go...gotta go follow social rules n listen 2 my mom yellin her head off for me 2 get off the comp!!!!! πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† ill try 2 edit later!!!! 😳 Edited by infiniti1215 - 16 years ago
Tomiko thumbnail

One word answer: No.

Will we ever be free?

We've come a long way from where we were but it's hard to say if women will ever truly be able to stand on their own feet without the dissaproval of society.

Even in the UK I know so many families who frown on women independance and that's me from an old fashioned family!....But the positive thing is that there are so many inspirational women out there who motivate us to step out and reach our potential.

I guess at the end of the day it's up to us to break away the shackles and get to the top.😊

[P.S. Ooopsie; I ended up writing a whole essay!πŸ˜³πŸ˜†]

shabo24 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Technically, today women are still frowned upon. But I belive that one day Women will be able to stand on their feet with a support crowd behind them. Sure, there will be always people pointing and whispering...but hopefully those people will be part of a minority.

Shabo
sweetmagic4u thumbnail
is THE WOMAN free?

well some of her is and some of her isn't...depends where in the world she is...

and how much she wants to break free...

or if she even knows she has the right to break free...
Catwoman thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: Anuradha

Continuing the celebration for Women's day, we have a very much needed debate... 😊

We say that women are now on par with men... They are more independent and are free to take their own decisions... They have a say in the running of the family, They are treated equally to men and are now more privileged than the women of the past.. She is no more a person who stays inside the four walls taking care of the house hold..

But the big questions is - Is she really free?????

Even now in many parts of the world, women are not given proper education.. If there is a boy and a girl in a house, more importance is given to the boy of the house... Before marriage, she has to listen to what her parents say and they are the one to take decisions for her and after marriage she needs to take permissions from her In-Laws...

Ok my views a individual we have grow but as a socially we are still the same... i can name so many women today who have acheieved a great education yet they do not work or leave the house... to me that intellegent mind is a waste... See now parents are educating there daughters in asian society to get a good suitor........but the independancy is still not there....

We women for generations have listen to parents and to  inlaw this will never change and what need to change is the way we talk to our daughters and sons

Even now when a girl walks alone on the road side or walks alone into a restaurant, she gets a strange look from all the people around... Even now she is side lined and we hear so much about women harassment.. The government also works more on men's team in sports than for the women.. Though many social rules have been abolished, There are still many rules in the society which binds her..

Actually you will find from 20years ago we have progressed alot and slow things are getting better... these social changes take time and it is better... but sometimes we as women dont actually come together as a group to help our fellow sisters who are suffering and it not only men who make women suffer but woman to hurt each even more. This is not a gender battle

Though she is praised for what she is, has she till now achieved the 100% freedom in life?????

And the next questions is will she ever achieve 100% freedom???

I guess we will never complete be free but then again we can say the same about the opposite sex... for they to have dependants and the same relationships us woman... i guess the really answer is what is freedom??? as everyones ...idea of freedom is different😳

Love Kat

Edited by Catwoman - 16 years ago
lizzy190 thumbnail
Can women get free from social rules? no never .... women are always going to be looked down upon.... in a way, other countries are not perfect like UK OR US just b/c they have education and stuff we should also consider that a women in US does not always get an equal salary either but then on the other hand they are more free than we indian women are..

I think in India we are so into making guys look like god especially our husbands that no matter what will happen a women will never change her views. Even now most indian people say "we are living in the 21st century" and they still have the same old rules... that have been going on for ages... still to this day parents think of their daughters as a person who will end up getting married and it almost seems like the only reason they educate that girl so that she can get married at the end... i am not saying about all the parents i do realize that there are some parents who do not thing that way but most do... even on our indian shows you see all the girls are portrayed as listening to their parents, dreaming of prince charming and to take them... and even if they show a girl that wants to do something else in their life they end up making them look bad or at the end they are taken away by some guy. I think we need to change our thinking... in order to take a step ahead in the world... we can make as many doctors, engineers, IT people as we want... but until we don't change our thinking India can never be on the top!!!!!!!!!!!!!