Are women really free from social rules? - Page 2

Posted: 16 years ago
women are not free 100%. There are girls who have to listen to what there parents say live a certain way wear what her parents say do what her parents want her to do. and afetr shes maride she might feel like ok now im free but shes not now shes under her husband where she does what her husband says. does a gril have no feeling why does she have to be below her husband why cant she stand side by side with him. Im not sayin this always happens but it hapens iv seen it happen to many times.
No women are not 100% free. Women have come a long way in getting some freedoms but they are still ruled by social rules.

Families dictate how girls should behave and what they should wear and even who is a suitable husband; whereas boys in a family still have many freedoms that a girl would never get.

It's true that women don't get the support from their fellow women when it comes to gaining freedom.

I have a 7.5 year old daughter and though I don't want her to be a complete feminist - I want her to realize her potential as a human being and the importance of her being a woman. But even in grade 2 - she is already being told by some of the boys that girls don't play soccer, or girls can't play sports. Both my husband and I educate her to know that she should never listen to anyone who tries to place limits on her and that she has the right to choose what she wants to participate in. It's sad because these boys have been socialized at this age to already think women have limitations.
It's true that women have more freedom then they did in the   past but they are still not equal to men.Society views men as more superior no matter how much we try to deny it that is the truth.Maybe in the future they will be equal. 😊
Originally posted by Anuradha

But the big questions is - Is she really free?????
Not really, b'coz i have seen places where women literally struggle to make a place in the family. But do agree that it has become better than what was 10 yrs ago, but still women in our society is not treated equally as she has to b treated.

Though she is praised for what she is, has she till now achieved the 100% freedom in life?????
we can say she has just achieved 60% of the freedom & is still struggling for that 40%. Though in my house such differences does'nt exist but have seen some in my neighbourhood. Where the girl is always not looked upon properly so that the boy child can b taken care of in a proper manner. Still parnts seem to b wanting a boy more than a girl child as the boy takes care of the family in the near future & girls are said to b "paraya dhan" and that she has to take care of in-laws after getting married.

And the next questions is will she ever achieve 100% freedom???

Please do share your views on this 😊

i really cannot answer this q as its the thinking of the ppl that has to b changed & not the person. This can happen if ppl bring that maturity in thier thinking n thoughts. They have to take get that feeking that daughters would b thier daughters even when she gets married off to someone else. A Daughter too can take care of her family at all phases of life. She too can take up responsibilities in the same way a son does.

This is what i personally believe which most of the ppl in this world don't agree to

Originally posted by Anuradha

If there is a boy and a girl in a house, more importance is given to the boy of the house... Before marriage, she has to listen to what her parents say and they are the one to take decisions for her and after marriage she needs to take permissions from her In-Laws...

Wrong 😳 This is a misconception... I am a part of a house where we have a boy and girl, but ask me - no way the boy gets more attention... Its the other way roundπŸ˜‰ Not that anyone is complaining, but just to remove this myth...😊 Sure, it may not be the case with everyone, but the same way, to generalise and say that girls get less importance is false...

Originally posted by smallwonder

Wrong 😳 This is a misconception... I am a part of a house where we have a boy and girl, but ask me - no way the boy gets more attention... Its the other way roundπŸ˜‰ Not that anyone is complaining, but just to remove this myth...😊 Sure, it may not be the case with everyone, but the same way, to generalise and say that girls get less importance is false...

Yes I agree its not to be generalized... In many of the cases where I have seen, the boys are given more importance.. Now the importance here can mean in different ways... Though more care is given to girls, they are mostly sidelined in the say of many decisions taken by the family...

Many parents feel its the guy who would take care of them at the later stages and their responsibility towards the girl is to ensure that she gets married in a nice family and stays happy...

Yes,Indeed Anu dii a great topic! 😊

I know,being the only girl child of my parents,many times people wen they hear i am the only child,they look at us sarcastically πŸ˜† Leser do they know that i am worser than boys! πŸ˜† For them they think a family needs a boy and it is a mustπŸ˜•

Sometimes my mom n dad has to givv thm straight mouth 2 mouth replies,thnk god theyy are civilized and are livin in modern world! 😊   
Anu great topic and I do agree with you all.
Yes women are not free from all.

Luckily I come from family where my dad treated me and always considered us girls always equal or better than my brothers and gave me the control of all the finances home and business. At the same time my better half too thinks that in marriage everything should be 50/50 and had made me a chief decision maker in my home. But that is not true for most women. I see many women complaining how they are treated like some ignorant uneducated pepole by their spouses and grown up children

As a society women are always considered 2nd best even in western world. Taking same amount of work and fulfilling same responsibilites they are paid much less than their male co-workers. Some ppl with same orthodox views even in western world too think that we women are not good enough to do certain things or handle certain responsibilities.

I mean why boys are sent to colleges and girls are asked to stay home and learn house work and get married. I hope this practice stop soon for the betterment of our country and society. Why kill daughters (abort) in the name of dowry?

Edited by ramas - 16 years ago
Yes I agree its not to be generalized.
Oh My... i did a WHOLE presentation on just Women Abuse && Rights and it was genrealized just to relgion
: )
ahahaha
So i might end up writing an essay, but i shall not : )
ahahah you can pm for that πŸ˜† 😳
Anywaysss
I agree with your statement, my aunt has like all girls, and the bibi that came to her house one time was like there SHOULD be atleast one guy in the house why didnt you just drop the girl
and my aunt was like
WTH! 😑
and i was like come on women its the 21st century get with the program : )
Besides i only want one girl child : )
it would be soo cool
we could have girls nights ( H )
ahahahahahah
anywaysss i ended up writing an essay anyways
and women ( H ) are the strongest gender, we have go through labour pain and cramps sooo BEAT THAT (H) yesh yes i know im very feminist : )

-Talzs
(sorry for the long post for those who cared to read it πŸ˜† )