Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vandu4ever thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago

Women r not really free from social rules... but time has been changed now.. Women can take their decisions n family support them😊

all rules were made in mom-grand-mom's tine... At that time hubby used to give orders to wife..n now wiffy will give orders to hubby..

sorry 2 say guyz but the truth is Hubbies r made 2 be Joru ka Gulam πŸ˜‰

Although women's social role has chaned a lot from the old days at the same time I don't think women has achieved 100% freedom in life. As I think women will never achieve 100% freedom.

- Women are being treated as inferiors to men.
- Women are not getting the same wages as men.
- Women are being descriminated in the jobs market.
- Women are being abused.
- Women are being raped.
- Women are being forced into marriages.

The list goes on and on, but those are the main points.

The above injustice to women are not being done only in the third world countries but also to those of the progressed countries too, except the forced marriages, which is only in the third world countries.

Today there are women in most of the third world countries that are not being allowed to get education. Edited by arwax - 16 years ago
preet_ic thumbnail
Hi I was browsing through IF and came across this topic and thought of sharing my views. I may or may not be a feminist, I don't know but I feel very strongly about these topics so I am responding.

First of all HAPPY WOMENS DAY. I know it was a week back but it is never to late to celebrate ourselves.

I am one of the many enthusiasts reading,collecting and pondering over women related columns, editorials and writings. I have done that for a long time but now I think it is time to seriously address the issues.

It really feels great when some psuedo laurels are showered on women but are we really appreciated? NO,these laurels are selective and for a selected few.

Instead of asking the world, why not ask ourselves for a change. Are WE implementing and practicing equal rights at our homes? Leave the under educated, illiterate lot for a while. Let us talk about ourselves, the so called concerned educated section of the society. Sit back and count the number of times we discriminated ourselves against men. Don't believe me, then, try to remember and start observing the number of times you put yourselves behind the men of your families.

It is always easier to talk about equality but the real problem is to respect and believe in it. I myself have stepped down on numerous occassions and swallowed my pride just to let my family feel good. NO, no, I don't mean equality means running down the family, or go anti-men, no! but I think we need to respect our lives,our freedom and our rights. We don't need to ask for our equality, we are EQUAL. Simplly believe that all human beings are equal and there won't be any problem
Let us start today with believing in ourselves.

Enough is talked about eve-teasing, it is horrifying, I know and every gril knows it but what are we doing. It is going on for ages then why don't we do anything? Have we ever spoken to our brothers and male friends not to get into these acts as it hurts? Hardly anyone of us. Why? because we are not supposed to talk about it. New Year's eve witnessed molestation of two women but these men got away with it. WHY? because we don't do anything about it. Alcohol was blamed. Family stood by these men. Why couldn't the women of such families feel for the women molested,why didn't they talk against the molestation. Because they are supposed to stand by their men.

Rape the most henious crime hardly punishes the rapists but blames the victim? why? because girls are not supposed to be going out or let loose . Now, how many of us have not blamed the victims.We need attitude change.

Ah! there are so many things that I want to write but I will curtail it short.

Not everything is bad but things can get better and eventually the best,not only for women but for the everyone.
WE respect ourselves and the WORLD will respect us, WE stand united, WE stand tall and the WORLD will not dare exploit us. Let us LOVE ourselves and be proud irrespective of our choices and preferences.

Lastly, if a collective effort is made we can change the world because if anyone of us feels unsafe then we all ae unsafe.
Edited by preet_ic - 16 years ago
Anuradha thumbnail

Originally posted by: preet_ic

Lastly, if a collective effort is made we can change the world because if anyone of us feels unsafe then we all ae unsafe.

Interesting Post 😊 And I do agree with this line of yours πŸ‘

-Preeti- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: Anuradha

Interesting Post 😊 And I do agree with this line of yours πŸ‘

well said
πŸ‘

shijhu thumbnail
interesting topic anu
yepp so true even today women r not free i dont want to elaborate my point cuz da topic is neverending πŸ˜ƒ
dp_p thumbnail

preet_ic wrote:Lastly, if a collective effort is made we can change the world because if anyone of us feels unsafe then we all ae unsafe.

Very well said πŸ‘
scifichick thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: preet_ic

Let us start today with believing in ourselves.
WE respect ourselves and the WORLD will respect us, WE stand united, WE stand tall and the WORLD will not dare exploit us. Let us LOVE ourselves and be proud irrespective of our choices and preferences.

Wonderfully written words πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘.

divan thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
The government can bring in laws to give women equal rights but what it can't change is the attitude of people. It's only when everyone in world learns to respect, support and encourage women to be independent, value the worth of woman, as a mother, wife and care giver then they can be free form social rules...it is the rules made by man that keeps the woman backwards.
*Jane* thumbnail

Women can achieve 100 percent freedom, IMO. Yes injustices do go on, that's why for ages people have worked hard to make sure that those injustices are diminished. The Women's suffrage movement only started some 200 years ago. The daily struggles that started centuries ago led up to that. Just give it time, it should level out. 

On a related note, gender roles is something that has been ingrained in our heads and society implements that. One can't completely get rid of gender roles, IMO, because no matter how hard we try there's always going to be something that's going to stick from the "olden days." That, however, wouldn't hinder the progress of allocating women the same rights as men just the treatment of women would be different from the treatment of men. That treatment, however, wouldn't (or shouldn't) be any inferior to either genders.

Edited by *Jane* - 16 years ago