~*~*~Maayka Articles Archive~*~*~

Posted: 15 years ago

Well we finally have maayka articles archive

From now on please post all your articles in this thread.

All old articles in the main section will be moved here and the new articles will be deleted unless posted in this thread. this way we can keep our section clean for discussion threads!!!

So go and post your articles here

Neha's set to tie the knot this year
13 May 2007, 0830 hrs IST,TNN
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

Be it the reticent Kripa of Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai or the spunky and chulbuli Mahi of Maayka , where her personal life is concerned, Neha Bamb has always remained aloof and kept to herself, to the extent of being termed snooty.

When a little bird told us about the existence of a man in her life, we decided to prod the actress and out tumbled the revelations. Neha has been seeing Rishi Jhaveri, who's into jewellery business, for the last six years. A classic case of friendship turning into love.

Both the families belong to the Jain community (Rishi is a Gujju and Neha a Marwari) so there was no problem on that front. But a bit of Ek Duje Ke Liye -kind of plot took place. "There was a little drama since our parents felt we were too young to make a decision for life. Rishi was 21 and I was just 15 when we started seeing each other. We gave it a break of one year to understand how serious we really were. It proved our deep love for each other and our parents had no choice but to agree this time."

So, when is the D-day? "Should be by the end of this year. We will have an engagement ceremony a week before we get married in December," informs Neha.

And will she continue working after marriage? "Rishi doesn't have a problem with me working. I have carved a niche after slogging for five years and he does not want to take it away from me. In fact, at the get-together we had recently, he gave a sweet little speech revealing he was proud of me and my achievements," says Neha, who shuttles between Mumbai and Hyderabad and is also doing a Telugu movie opposite Chakravarty.
'Money is not my first priority'
26 Mar 2008, 0000 hrs IST,AMRITA MULCHANDANI ,TNN

doweshowbellyad=0;
Vivan Bhatena. (TOI Photo)

Model, veejay and now a TV actor, Vivan Bhatena claims that a rewarding career and job satisfaction can take care of monetary worries. The charming actor admits upfront that "money is not a priority" and "working hard" is more important.

Even if that means, working round the clock for two prime time dailies (Maayka and Choona Hai Aasman). Considering he is playing the lead role in one of the serials and the bad guy in another, does Vivan even relate to the characters? "I am a lot like Shabd in Maayka. I am very relaxed, fun loving and chilled out," he offers.

Any off-screen chemistry with co-star Neha Bamb? And the dashing actor surprises you with a predictable, "We are good friends. There are even times when we fights like cats and dogs, but we patch up quickly. Sharing good rapport with your co-star helps make the scenes look convincing,"
he says.

The most important thing on his agenda is to get his Hindi right, he says. "I have been working in TV serials for a long time and I can see my spoken Hindi is getting better. It is a constant battle but I am rehearsing. There used to be times when I'd use a lot of English with Hindi, but that's changing," he admits.

On the personal front, Vivaan's getting married to longtime girlfriend Nikhila Palat on the 27th of this month. "I am busy with the arrangements for my marriage and I am very excited," he blushes.
type=text/javascript> var RN = new String (Math.random()); var RNS = RN.substring (2,11); var b2 = ' '; if (doweshowbellyad==1) bell yad.innerHTML = b2;
Thanks for this thread. Will add more. 😃

From bahu to beti, soaps shift focus
25 May 2007, 0000 hrs IST,ROSHNI K OLIVERA,TNN

The focus in the saas-bahu soaps, from the bahu and her on-going battle with her saas , her problems with her vampish sister-in-law and her relationship with her husband, has shifted. From bahu to beti .

Several serials like Betiyaan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan, Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyaan, Maayka, Parivaar, Doli Saja Ke, Ghar Ek Sapna, Zara-Pyaar Ki Saugat have protagonists who are daughters. Even the most popular TV bahu , Smriti Iraani, chose the beti theme for her home production Virrudh on Sony, which is a story of a daughter who adores her father, unaware of his past.

Aroona Iraani's new show on SaharaOne, Doli Saja Ke , is about a girl who's considered manhoos by her father since her birth. The themes may seem grim, but producers insist their shows are not regressive.

Says Dheeraj Kumar, producer of Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyaan , " Betiyaan is the reality of society. We talk about the achievements made by women in various fields, but the unborn girl child is also being killed brutally. Our serial aims to acknowledge the fact that girls are no longer lesser than males."

Neha Bamb, who plays Mahi in Maayka , says there's one advantage, "As a beti your character is always young, but a daughter-in-law is usually older with kids!"

And what do audiences have to say about the new trend? "Women are still protagonists and their sob stories continue," laughs housewife Mrinal Mayekar. Adds Sunanina Gupta, a housewife, "Their opponents of course have changed. Now it's not a mother-in-law but parents or siblings!"

Edited by Mahi-lover - 15 years ago

Ekta, a threat to women's education
26 Oct 2007, 0000 hrs IST,SHWETA TEOTIA ,TNN

Ekta Kapoor (TOI Photo)

The list of young girls mugging dialogue, instead of exam notes, includes Prachi Desai, most of the latest generation of Kasautii Zindagi Kay, Neha Bamb and now Krystle D'souza. These are just a few prominent faces of the small screen.

Move over patriarchy, biased social structures and cultural impediments. A recent trend shows that er... Ekta Kapoor is fast emerging as a sizeable threat to women's education in urban India.

The list of young girls mugging dialogue, instead of exam notes, includes Prachi Desai, most of the latest generation of Kasautii Zindagi Kay , Neha Bamb and now Krystle D'souza. These are just a few prominent faces of the small screen. The sum total of below-18 people working as actors would be exhaustive enough to make ' baa ' gasp with disbelief.

Not that we expect saas-bahu soaps to be even remotely hinged around education, but it's bothersome that 16-year-olds seem the perfect material for that bechari , sacrificing daughter-in-law. When these college dropouts don the sari and sindoor , the idea of education recedes into the background.

Prachi Desai enrolled in college and a year later, she did not have her degree while she had ample reasons to explain why she didn't attend college. Her attendance on the sets, however, was an exemplary 100 per cent.

The loyal Balaji workforce is always on the lookout for fresh talent. Their favourite places for bahu -hunting are coffee bars, pubs, college hangouts, etc. Recently, Ekta Kapoor's latest discovery, Krystle D'souza, a standard XII student, admitted, "I was just hanging around college when a person from Balaji told me that I had a great face. Would I want to audition? At first I thought she was fooling around. When I made it, I couldn't believe my luck."

It's not surprising then that a large number of conniving bahus in Ekta's shows were, until they were spotted, just ingenuous adolescents bunking junior college lectures.

We don't intend to lambast the production house alone, for these kids are quite willing to make that extra buck and more. They have full support from ambitious parents, and thrilled teachers. Prachi Desai, in another attempt to take her HSC exam, ended up scribbling autographs, instead, in an examination hall in Pune.

Another cardinal, almost sacrosanct rule is that come what may, no leave is granted for such trivial purposes (read taking exams). They believe that if exams are so important, simply quit the show. Megha Gupta aka Disha of Kkavyanjali did the same.

A student of BMM, Megha was warned by her college to improve her attendance. "I could not even attend my Culture Studies examination due to the show. Now I will appear for the same subject as a KT," rued Megha a few months ago.

Whether these soaps are a pasquinade mocking the education system here, or a great landmark in popular culture is a question open to interpretation. These young girls, who have gladly traded college canteens for rasoi ki garmi , may not feel the need for further education. What they need to know is that they are headed to become another brick in the Virani wall.

Neha's set to tie the knot this year
13 May 2007, 0830 hrs IST,TNN

Be it the reticent Kripa of Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai or the spunky and chulbuli Mahi of Maayka , where her personal life is concerned, Neha Bamb has always remained aloof and kept to herself, to the extent of being termed snooty.

When a little bird told us about the existence of a man in her life, we decided to prod the actress and out tumbled the revelations. Neha has been seeing Rishi Jhaveri, who's into jewellery business, for the last six years. A classic case of friendship turning into love.

Both the families belong to the Jain community (Rishi is a Gujju and Neha a Marwari) so there was no problem on that front. But a bit of Ek Duje Ke Liye -kind of plot took place. "There was a little drama since our parents felt we were too young to make a decision for life. Rishi was 21 and I was just 15 when we started seeing each other. We gave it a break of one year to understand how serious we really were. It proved our deep love for each other and our parents had no choice but to agree this time."

So, when is the D-day? "Should be by the end of this year. We will have an engagement ceremony a week before we get married in December," informs Neha.

And will she continue working after marriage? "Rishi doesn't have a problem with me working. I have carved a niche after slogging for five years and he does not want to take it away from me. In fact, at the get-together we had recently, he gave a sweet little speech revealing he was proud of me and my achievements," says Neha, who shuttles between Mumbai and Hyderabad and is also doing a Telugu movie opposite Chakravarty.