Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 16 years ago
Vivan's need for speed

Vivan Bathena was to make an elaborate entry as Shabd in the serial Maayka- for his debut in the serial the production house wanted him to arrive in a sports car. However they didn't manage to get one so Vivan allowed them to shoot with his own sports car. Vivan will play the lead role opposite Mahi (Neha Bamb) in the show.

Vivan says: "For the introduction shot they required a sports car but on that day some technical problems occurred so shooting couldn't take place. The next time they asked me to use my sports car and I agreed. I'm more comfortable with my car. I am habitual to driving my car. It looks good as well so there was no problem in using it. I mean why not? I have a Toyota MR2. It's a 1988 model and it's red in colour. I bought the car three years ago from someone who owned it in Mumbai. It looks like a mini Ferrari for me. It's like poor man's Ferrari or my version of the Ferrari if I would have one. Maybe one day I'll buy the real one but right now this is good enough for me."

Vivan provided his own car free of cost for the shoots saying, "I wouldn't charge them for something so silly. I would not like to discuss the money aspect for the car and other stuff. I have only one sports car. But hopefully down the line I'll have more."

The actor can't stop gushing about his 'mini-Ferrari'
"I like everything about my car! I like the way it looks, the way it sounds and the way it drives. I like to feel its speed. That is an adrenaline rush."

Vivan is possessive of his 14 lakh car
"It has facilities which every normal car has. If I want to go from one location to the other it gets me faster; that is all. It's different from any other sports car because of its looks. It's vintage- a classic. It reflects one's attitude and shows how that person is passionate about cars. It's a difficult car to maintain because parts are not easily available but some way down the line you have to be passionate about it.

I'm very possessive about my car. Nobody else drives my car except me. I don't mind people touching my car as long as there is no harm done to it. I have it polished it once a week. I do a routine maintenance of my car myself- small mechanical jobs here and there I can take care of myself. I always have my toolkit and my music there. My girlfriend was the first person to sit in my car."

Racing is in his blood
"I have a passion for racing since my childhood. My family from my dad's side was majorly into racing. My dad's brothers are into racing. He participated in the MRF team and in they won the Malaysian Grand Prix and stuff like that. Ashley and Cherry Bathena are their names. I have literally grown up on the track. I have always had a passion for speed. Earlier I could never have supported it financially because motor sport is the most expensive professions. Now that I have the ability to fulfill some of my ambitions I can go ahead with it."

About his role in Maayka
"I'm playing the character of Shabd Sareen who is a rich photographer from the UK. He is like a breath of fresh air in the show. He takes things very lightly and is very good at his job. He is admired by everyone around him and women especially love him. That reflects in his attitude; in the way he speaks with women. He finally comes across Neha Bamb's character Mahi and in her he finds something different. It is something he has never encountered in the past women as he was used to women drooling all over him. Mahi is different and that's the factor which attracts him. It's a lead role in Maayka right now. It's going to be a hero's role. We shot about two episodes and we'll finish couple of episodes by the end of this week."

Vivan is also playing the lead role of Druv in Kumkum. He played an important role in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi as well as many other serials. Vivan won the title of Grasim Mr. India in 2001 before he moved on to serials.

Vivan's 'car'ma

Sapana Patil Poojary
Friday, April 27, 2007  18:10 IST

Actor Vivan Bathena, who was last seen in 'Kumkum' (Star Plus) is all set to enter 'Maayka' (Zee) as the suave photographer Shabd. His character is supposed to reflect attitude and hence the creative team decided upon shooting his introductory scene showing him step out of his swish sports car.

The production unit had arranged for a car but it didn't arrive on the sets at the last minute. The unit was hassled over getting a car at a short notice until Vivan offered to use his personal car, a Toyota MR2. Vivan says, "I didn't mind using my car for the shoot. The unit had deadlines to meet and we couldn't wait for another car to be arranged."  

But how does Vivan, a model turned actor have a penchant for sports car? Vivan laughs as he replies, "My father and my uncle are former professional bike racers. I have
grown on the tracks literally! I too love racing although I didn't take it up professionally. But I take part in the speed run every year and have won several awards in the 'under 2000 cc' category." Racing apart Vivan also takes interest in film watching and its making. He owns about a thousand DVDs of some of the best films. "I intend to make a film some day," he says.

But, what about his primary occupation, modelling? "I have given it up. I don't find it intellectually stimulating. I am interested in acting on television at the moment. I believe there is a proper time for every thing one does in life  and I think I have passed the stage of modelling," he shares.

So what did he like about his character Shabd and how does the rather queer name signify his character? "It's a classy character. He keeps his conversations short and crisp as he often says, 'Shabd, naam hi kaafi hai (the name is enough)'." 

Edited by Mahi-lover - 16 years ago

Prize fight!

Neha Bamb received a trophy on behalf of Maayka co-star Shilpa Shinde, but didn't tell the latter about it
Back to Section Stories Posted On Saturday, November 03, 2007

Vickey Lalwani

Shilpa Shinde (l) and Neha Bamb

Shilpa Shinde is furious with her Maayka co-actor Neha Bamb. Neha recieved an award on behalf of Shilpa at the Zee Rishton Ka Utsav Awards, but did not tell her about it!

Says a source from the Maayka unit, "Shilpa (aka Soni) was supposed to perform for Zee Rishton ka Utsav held on October 26 at the MMRDA grounds in Bandra. But Shilpa did not turn up at the event. Incidentally, she was awarded the Best Sister award jointly with Neha (aka Mahi). Neha Bamb received Shilpa's award but did not inform her."

The next day, when Shilpa came for the shoot, Neha did not even bother to inform her about the award. It was only when the unit started congratulating Shilpa for the award, that she learnt about her prize.

Then, all hell broke loose. "Shilpa went up to Neha and questioned her about the trophy. Neha told her that she had misplaced it."

When contacted, Shilpa was forthcoming. She said that the main problem lay in the fact that she and Neha don't get along with each other at all. "Neha is not a good co-actor. I have worked with many actors, but I have got along with everyone except Neha."

Neha retaliates, "Shilpa and I had an argument. I told her that if the awards were important to her, she should have attended the function. She was busy watching Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 2 at home."

"I don't understand why I would keep her trophy. I came down the stage, holding two trophies. Zee officials offered to hold the trophies for me, while I went backstage to get ready for a performance. They said that they would send the trophies to our homes. I got mine, how would I know why she hasn't got hers yet?" Neha adds.

Shilpa shoots back, "She did not give the trophies to the Zee guys. Or else I would have definitely got it. I still haven't got it and I just don't know what to do. Either she has misplaced it or thrown it away."

Shilpa-Neha's tussle continues

Neha Bamb who plays Mahi and Shweta Shinde who plays her sister Soni in Zee TV's Maayka are not on talking terms anymore. And although the actresses had to shoot together for a major scene around Mahi's birthday party sources avoided each other during filming.

It is believed that recently both the actresses had to shoot together for promos but both of them reached late on the sets and the shooting got delayed and finally canceled. And recently both of them also refused to hug each other for a shot forcing the a change in the script.

But this is not the first time that the two leads have rubbed each other the wrong way.

Shilpa still remember the incident around an award function where Neha took the award for Best Sister on her behalf but failed to inform her it till the next day.

"When we got an award which she went and received, as I was not present at the function, next day she was sitting beside me but did not tell me. I asked her about it when I came to know then she said that I had given it to someone and it got misplaced and all. I know her mentality. After that we do not talk to each other." complains Shinde, "Neha is a typical Marwadi girl. She thinks that Marwadis have been conservative and have become forward only now. She has that attitude in her. So I told her that everyone is proud of their own religion or cast and all are conservative and nowadays after living in cities and getting good education they have become forward. But she thinks that Marwadis are the most sophisticated,"

Shilpa gave Neha's wedding a miss as well. "For her wedding as well she dropped my card to production people. She called me after that and told me that I have dropped your card and come for the wedding. But I did not go as I was shooting that day. I did not like it."

Neha Bamb aka Mahi also admits that her relation with her co-actor Shilpa Shinde are strained.

"I barely talk with Shilpa and it is not necessary that every co-actor should be having a good relation off-screen . For approximately 6 months now we are not shooting with each other. We don't share our lunch together and she is not the only person to talk on the sets.I have a good rapport with Vivaan and other co-actors," says Bamb.

So with all this discord how are you two still managing to work together?

"We had major scenes together only recently. Actually we do not shoot together at all. We do not talk to each other on the sets. We avoid causal talks as well. But as it was requirement of the story we shot scenes together but did not have a word with each other. It is very weird as on screen they have shown we have nice chemistry but off the screen we do not talk to each other," says Shilpa frankly.

But obviously this must be posing a problem for the production crew?

"No we do not have cold war as such or fight for make room, jewellery or costumes. But we just do not talk. We are professionals and we remain cool for shots and everything," says the actress.

The young crop of TV actors will go to any length to perform difficult stunts, refusing the service of body doubles. What drives them to do so? Renu Bhatnagar finds out'

Manasi Deshmukh
(Suhana of Meri Doli Tere Angana on Zee TV)

We shot this rain sequence for 12 hours. In this scene I'm shown sitting on a bench when some goons start acting fresh with me. Scared, I start running with rain pouring down. While running, I dash into a car coming from the opposite direction. We took more than 10 retakes and at the end of the day, my body couldn't take it any more. I was drenched to the bone, my body went numb and I blacked out. After that I fell seriously ill but I shot the next day because I had to complete the sequence. Of course, the unit guys helped me to the vanity van and tried to revive me by massaging my feet and hands, and they also gave me hot coffee.

"Why did I do it? Initially I thought, 'At most I'll feel a bit cold, so big deal!' I didn't think I'd fall ill. I have never backed out from doing difficult stuff and never thought of a dummy. I'll never say no unless it's beyond my capacity. I would like to stretch myself to the maximum."

Neha Bamb 
(Mahi of Maayaka)

In Maayaka, to show a house on fire, the director decided to use  plastic, paper, cloth… anything the unit guys could lay their hands on. Recalls Neha, "I was in the middle of the half-burnt stuff, with the fire raging all around me. I inhaled a lot of smoke. We were shooting from 9 am to 6 am, the next morning. I choked and was breathless and the next morning I was down with high fever. I was in this miserable state for four days. When shooting for television, we have no option of resting because we are always chasing deadlines. But I don't say 'no' to anything. Right now I'm at the peak of my career and I'd like to stretch myself."

Karan Grover 
(Raj of Meri Aawaz ko Mil Gayi Roshni on STAR Plus)

In this fight sequence I am supposed to save the heroine from the goons. The scene was shot on a tarapa (it is 40 feet above the ground, where the light men sit). In this tussle with the goons I ended up with a muscle injury. I was supposed to fight four burly men and at one point they have to pick me up and throw me down. I had some original screaming and yelling. They are supposed to throw me on soft board and exert light pressure on my shoulder. But in my enthusiasm to give a powerful shot I missed the soft board and landed on hard ground. I bruised my arm and then the goons chose my neck instead of my shoulder. I ended up with a muscle pull.

"I do these stunts because I don't want to miss an opportunity to display my skills. And if I don't do them now, when I am young and strong, when will I do them?"

Jennifer Winget
(Ganga of Sangam on STAR Plus)

Ihad to hang from a railing, over a dam. The distance between the railing from which I was hanging and the dam was more than 150 feet. I was expected to do the scene without a harness but they tied a thick rope around my waist. Yes my heart was in my mouth, I was really nervous initially but managed to go through with it. After the scene was shot they started calling me 'stuntwoman'. We started the shot around 9 am and finished shooting only at 4 pm.

"When you are dedicated and passionate about your work you will push yourself to do the impossible. All professions have their own hazards."

Rati Pandey 
(Prarthana Thakral of Har Ghar Kuchh Kehta Hai)

So what's a coy bahu material Prarthana aka Rati Pandey doing on a road bursting at the seams with traffic? Rati recently had to put her life at risk for a scene which was being shot on the arterial road of Powai. She had to run through the traffic and she shudders when she thinks of how she did it. "This was shot at 9.30 pm in Powai. The scene required me to run on the road, amidst the traffic. In the scene, I catch my father-in-law kissing his girlfriend in a disco. So I start running away in a shocked state like a zombie and that too in a sari. It was a risky shot, but I decided to go ahead with it. Also this was an important turn-around in my character - initially Prarthana is supposed to be a cry-baby and this is the turning point in her life. I don't like to play a typical bahu and my dream role would be to play cop. Perhaps I'll get to do more stunts then."

Ashima Bhalla
(Sudha of Meri Aawaz ko Mil Gayi Roshni on STAR Plus)

Though Ashima loves adventure sports and has done bungee jumping, her heart was in her mouth when she had to jump down 40 feet from the tarapa. "Initially I was scared because I was supposed to jump from a seemingly impossible height like 40 feet. As I fall, Karan Grover was supposed to place an 8X10 feet bean bed below. My heart was in my mouth when I jumped, I hoped that Karan would place the bean bed at the right spot! He did.

Mirchi lagi!
16 Apr 2008, 0002 hrs IST,SHARIN WADER ,TNN

DEEP TROUBLE: Shilpa Shinde (TOI Photo)

This is one script that has gone horribly wrong. The producer and actress of TV serial Hari Mirchi, Lal Mrichi on DD1, Rakesh Choudhary and Shilpa Shinde have been embroiled in a bitter battle since last year, that has now been dragged to court.

Rakesh says his lead actress not only caused him huge financial losses but also mental torture. "She has been with Hari Mirchi ... for almost two-and-a-half years now. But midway, she signed up another show Maayka . Against the rules of our contract, she allotted them days between 21st and 28th of every month. She would shoot during the day for Hari Mirchi ... and in the evening, for Maayka . This carried on for three days after which she got exhausted," says Rakesh.

"She started neglecting my serial. She didn't come to work for three days. She SMSed the director at 2 am saying, 'I have just finished shoot. Have to go for rehearsals. So I will not be able to shoot with you in the day'. All our efforts to contact her went in vain, finally we had to cancel the shoot," says Rakesh, still angry with the whole episode.

He then approached the Cine Television Artist Association (CINTA). "When they intervened, she told them she would resume shooting. But when we called her, she was wild and refused to give us her dates. CINTA finally warned her about the consequences. So the next day, she came on the sets but was very rude and misbehaved. She refused to do the serial any more. So we went to court restraining her from giving our dates to anybody else," says the producer.

The city civil court passed the order that she couldn't shoot for anybody else during the dates allocated for Hari Mirchi ... "So she came on the sets for two days but kept criticising the story and the serial and also told the director to shut up," says Rakesh about her unprofessional attitude.

Later the court passed a confirmed order that till the completion of his serial, she couldn't shoot for anybody else. "Still she went ahead and shot for Maayka . This was taken as contempt of court and the judge passed an order to attach her property. She has been given two weeks time to appeal now," says Rakesh who has now replaced Shilpa with TV actress Priya Verma. Despite repeated attempts by BT, Shilpa Shinde could not be contacted.

Do you feel tired, 24/7?
By: By Archana Jayakumar | February 26, 2007

Do you feel tired, 24/7?

You could be suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). With stories of
TV actors fainting on the set, we find out more about this physical and psychosomatic condition

If there's one thing that TV actors Neha Bamb, Gazal Rai, Ashlesha Sawant, Roshni Chopra, Priya Badlani and Sachin Shroff have in common, it's a propensity to pass out on the set of their respective shows.

One would think fatigue on a physical level (unending work hours, over-packed schedules, multiple shifts, sacrosanct deadlines, sleep deprivation) would naturally point to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), but Dr Vijay Vaishnav demurs. "CFS is characterised by debilitating fatigue and a variety of associated physical, constitutional and psychological factors," explains the MD and Hon.

Physician at Shree Mumbadevi Homeopathic Hospital. He believes that while CFS is "over-diagnosed" in the West, it is largely unnoticed back home. "And that's a pity because this syndrome has been on the rise in Indian metros.

Still, most physicians term it a case of simple exhaustion, and dole out advice in the general 'eat well, sleep well' vein, to patients who exhibit symptoms of CFS."

Vivan finishes shooting for Yash Raj's Chak De India...Has no scenes with SRK

Vivan Bathena (Dhruv of Kumkum) has just finished shooting for Yash Raj's Chak De India, which also stars Shah Rukh Khan. Despite the fact that the TV star has no scenes with SRK, he is very excited about the film. "I'm doing a cameo in the film and completed shooting for it last month. I play a negative character of Yuvraj, who is the vice-captain of the Indian cricket team. Chak De has lots of females as it is based on the women's hockey team. Everyone has her own story and I'm part of one of them."

So is he happy with his role in the film? Even though it is a small role, I had no objection. After all it's a Yash Raj movie and Shah Rukh is also there in it. So most people will surely watch it."

On not sharing screen space with Shah Rukh, this former winner of the Mr. India title says, "I did not even interact with him though he was present on the sets while I was shooting. But overall, it was a brilliant experience working with Yash Raj. I know now why they are the number one banner. They are very professional and motivated."

Any interesting experiences while shooting? "One happened when the entire hockey team was cheering for me. It is something that might never happen in real life. Further, when we were doing one sequence in the hotel room, I had to be shirtless. Everyone started staring at me thinking who this mad guy is until they realized I was shooting."

Vivan has just entered Maayka (Zee TV) as Shabd and it is said that he is enjoying shooting with his co-star Neha Bamb.

­- Sonali Joshi

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

I can eat anything from the streets – Neha Bamb

Is food the elixir of life? It's not the elixir but an essential part of life

Are you a foodie? Yes

Are you a veg or non-veg? I'm strictly vegetarian

Favourite cuisine: Italian and Rajasthani

Favourite dish: Dal Vaati and Penne with white sauce

Favourite restaurant: Pretoria in Taj, Da Vinci

A must at my breakfast table… Coffee.

Sugar or Sugarfree for my tea/coffee: Sugarfree

Lunch generally consists of… Rice, vegetable and curd

For high tea I have… I don't have it as it leads to acidity

Dinner generally consists of… It could be anything. I even have pav bhajji with brown bread. If nothing is cooked then I boil pastas and have it with readymade sauces

Dessert delights… Ice-cream, chocolate brownies

One thing I can't resist... Sitafal basundi

My favourtie drink (non-alcoholic)… Fresh fruit juices

My favourite drink (alcoholic)… I don't drink

For a date I usually prefer… eating Chinese or Italian

At parties, I usually eat… It's Italian again

Experiment with food? Yes, I do but it's difficult to think of one now

Most unusual dish I've tasted…Veg sushi with some sauce, which I had at ITC, Grand Central

On the streets, I love to have... I can eat anything from the streets

One place I would never eat again… Ruby Tuesday, my husband once found bugs in his dish

Do you cook? Yes, I cook regularly

A recipe that you can share with us… Just boil pasta/spaghetti/ or penne and simply have it with readymade sauces.