Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Barkha gifts Indraneil a Hayabusa

Barkha Bisht can do anything to please her man. Indraneil Sengupta celebrated his birthday yesterday and Barkha presented her hubby with a grand gift – a Suzuki Hayabusa bike. This comes as a surprise as Barkha isn't too fond of speeding bikes.

Says Barkha, "It's not that I don't want him to ride but I'm only against him riding at high speed. He's very fond of bikes and was very keen on having one. He used to tell me how he will save money for the bike. I ordered the bike from Singapore a good 25 days before his birthday. I'm not going to reveal the price as it is a gift."

An elated Indraneil says, "This has to be the best gift of my life. I'm really passionate about bikes and was very keen to have one. I had to leave for Kolkata on my birthday and so I received the gift two days earlier. We've already gone for a ride."

Recalling her fear of speeding bikes, Barkha says, "I love riding on bikes. During my college days, I happened to witnesses a real bad accident that was brought about by a speeding bike. That incident really shook me and thereafter, I'm very careful when it comes to travelling on bikes."

Wow now John Abraham has company!

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
ROMIT RAJ IS LOOKING FOR HIS MATCH!
[22 Sep 2008]

I WOULDN'T WANT MY GIRL TO BE OUT OF THE HOUSE AFTER 10 IN THE NIGHT

It was my first meeting with this mainstream television actor and for some strange reason I had anticipated him to be someone with a blustering, boisterous and a pompous attitude, which is usually the case with most celebrities. But I was surprised by his composed and unpretentious persona, and almost corporate behaviour. After making me wait almost endlessly for more than an hour, Romit Raj walked up to me with an apologetic expression and tried to make up for the loss of time.

Paradoxically, he is the blend of someone who is debonair, reserved and maybe even a little unattainable and yet there is this surprising pleasant cordiality that he exudes. But it isn't easy to get him out of his comfort zone, as I realize it takes a bit of coaxing and cajoling to get Romit to speak about himself.

Romit begins by tracing his journey right from where acting for him started. "I always wanted to be an actor. My parents enjoyed watching films and television. It always brought a smile on their face. So I thought, why not become an actor? Entertainment is a good industry where you not only get paid but people come to know you also. So I found all that really exciting."

Modeling for ads, Romit actually started his career in Kolkata and then came to Mumbai, where he did serials like Phir Bhi and Shakalaka Boom Boom. He got lucky when the producers of the movie Hum Dum saw him in Shakalaka… and offered to launch him in Bollywood. The film, like most experimental projects, bombed at the box-office as it didn't have a snazzy star cast nor was it the launch pad of any star kid. Romit recollects and retells the experience of his first Bollywood tryst.

"When I read the script of Hum Dum, I found it to be a very nice love story. So I did the film. But unfortunately, it wasn't marketed very well. It didn't reach out to a larger audience, so it didn't do well at the box-office." He was also part of another unsuccessful film, Yatra, which too didn't help lift his career graph on the big screen.

But life has a way of balancing the ups and downs for even the most unlucky people. After a luckless stint in Bollywood, with television, Romit hit the jackpot. After Phir… and Shakalaka… he did a few more shows like Suno Har Dil Kuch Kehta Hai and today is finally doing two big shows Maayka and Ghar Ki Lakshmi…  Betiyaan.

But it isn't Romit's film and television projects that draw my interest. Drifting from the usual topics of career and professional talks, I dare to tread on Romit's fiercely guarded private space.

Every celebrity has two sides to him that is constantly under media scrutiny – professional and personal. Today, actors are more often written about for their personal lives than their professional achievements. But with this actor, the case is different. Everyone knows about Romit's career highs. Yet, it's not his films or his television serials that first come to my mind.

Romit is young, famous, has two avidly watched daily soaps to his credit and most importantly belongs to the big bad world of television, but controversies still don't seem to come his way! You never hear of a Romit Raj being involved in a brawl at a nightclub or being spotted in public with another actress. He has always kept a low profile and scandals have always kept away.

The most conspicuous fact in Romit's life is the absence of that special somebody and his unexplained bachelorhood status. Romit is single and from what one hears, perhaps the reason is a heartbreak in the past; an unfulfilled relationship. Long ago, when Romit was still in Kolkata, he was seeing someone for almost eight years.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out in their favour and they broke their relationship. Today, that lady is married, settled and has kids, while Romit is single but not yet ready to mingle. The first thought that comes to my mind is, maybe he hasn't moved on. After all, an eight-year relationship can never be easily forgotten. And then as they say, your first love is always special.

I ask the very obvious question, if Romit is heartbroken and disillusioned about love. Initially reluctant to talk about her, Romit opens up a bit as he tells me that he has left his past behind and has moved ahead. "I did move on. I was seeing that girl when I was in Kolkata. We began dating each other in school and then in college," he reminisces. Today, Romit is not in touch with her. "She is happy in her life with her kids and all that. In fact I am very happy for her and her family. She has got married to a very nice man."

After the relationship didn't work out, Romit decided to come to Mumbai and work out his career. Perhaps to get away from the pain, he immersed himself in making a career for himself. And anything remotely connected to dating or getting into a relationship was out of the picture.

"When I came to Mumbai, my whole focus was on getting work. It used to be very tough. There was no production house or advertising agency that didn't have my pictures. I made sure I applied everywhere. I was so busy that there was never any time to date any girl. Then when I got work, due to the work commitments, there was no time for any relationship. I came to Mumbai to make a name for myself. I am here to do that," he says firmly.

Today, in the television scenario, actors work almost 24 X 7 and land up spending most of their time on the sets with their co-stars, which has resulted in many of them dating one another. But Romit is one actor who is cut clear when it comes to maintaining a strict line between his professional and personal life.

"I don't want to see anyone from the film or television industry. All the actresses are very nice and sweet but I don't want to go around with any of them. What I want to say is that, I don't want to eventually settle down with an actress."

He even gives me reasons for the same. "I don't want to get work home and talk about the same kind of stuff. I don't want nautanki at home. At times I feel, like an actress might understand an actor, but here in Mumbai, all girls are very hardworking, whether they are doctors,  lawyers, journalists or anybody for that matter. They understand that they need to spend time outside for work purposes. So I am sure any girl will understand my work as everyone knows how stressful an actor's job is."

Romit continues in the same vein and talks in detail as to why he wouldn't be seen in a relationship with any actress. "To be very frank with you, I would not want my girl to be out of the house after nine or 10 in the night. And as an actor, you are required to do late night shifts. I would not like all that. I want a housewife or if she wants to work, she can work in the day time."

Romit might sound like the typical chauvinistic Indian male when it comes to selecting his ideal woman, but thankfully, he is honest and frank enough to admit what he expects from his woman and relationship. "I believe that marriages should be perfect and somewhere down the line, when people want to fall in love or want to get married, they do make false promises. And all these promises shatter when you start taking things for granted. I am one person who makes things very clear right from the beginning."

So far, the actor hasn't yet found the right lady. "I have been working, so it's been difficult for me. I don't have the time to meet people from outside the fraternity. I don't know if I will opt for an arranged or love marriage. My parents are after me. Hopefully within two years I will get married."

He may not know now if he will go for a love or arranged match, but he does have a clear picture about what he will do if he ever falls in love again. "For me it's very important to settle with the girl I am going to go around with. It's not like 'I really like you, let's just go around'. I personally feel that the day I fall in love, I am going to get married to that girl."

After a moment's thought, he adds, "I obviously have a lot of friends who are girls. But I don't want to get into a commitment where I don't see marriage happening in the future."

If there ever were any regrets or hang ups, they all seem to have been washed away. "Life is amazing," Romit says with optimism and when I roll my eyes for him being so politically correct, he gives me a very stern look and offers some serious advice. "Nothing in life is permanent. You go through different phases in your life. Whatever happens to you happens for the good.

This is actually true. There are a lot of things which don't happen according to your wishes, but you can't help it. There is a lot of difference between what you deserve and what you desire." It's remarkable how even the simplest and smallest experiences of life can mature a person and Romit seems to be one of those people who has taken a lesson from it.

**BY PURVAJA SAWANT

-- k k rai
ar78655 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Dancing to God's tune

Navratri the festival of worshipping God along with dance and lots of fun is about to begin. It is one of the most popular festivals amongst Hindus. After nine nights of colour, dance and fun comes ?Dussera? which marks the victory of Lord Rama over Ravana. We asked some of T.V stars about what this festival means to them and how they plan to celebrate

Neha Bamb, Maahi of Maayka (Zee TV) has similar plans. She says, ?Every year at our place Mata?s mandap is put up, so I?ll go there. I am out of town presently but once I am back, I?ll make ?mata ka Prasad?. But this year I will not be fasting.?

She adds that Navratri was the only time when she would get to stay out late. ?Something which I remember and always liked the most about Navratri was that it was only during this time of the year when we used to have a big treat and I was allowed to stay out late with my brother for Dandia,? says Neha.

Link http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/September/News_20080930_148
Edited by Lubnavaishali - 15 years ago
niveditha thumbnail
Angad to return in Maayka

Angad (Indraneil) will return soon to Maayka to ruin Maahi's life, while Jeet's buaji will make Soni's life a mess in the serial.

Creative Director Sangha Mitra confirms the news saying, "One track would focus on Maahi's where Angad would come back again to ruin her life and on the other hand Soni will be troubled by Jeet's buaji," said the show's creative directer Sangha Mitra, "and we will focus on both tracks simultaneously."

Indraneil of Angad fame has just been made aware that his character would be returning. "I was out of town and I have just been told that Angad will be back," he said, "but I do not know how." What he did know was that it would happen in the next week.

Neha Baam aka Maahi said: "Angad's re-entry will be a very good twist in the story".

Shabd had thrashed Angad very severely after which he vanished from the picture for few days. "Angad always wanted to marry Maahi. Shabd had hurt him badly but he's out of danger. Now his lust for Maahi would make him to get her in his own way", says Sangha.

About Soni's track, she said: "Bua ji believes that something bad has happened and she's strictly against Soni and Jeet's marriage. She will trouble Soni badly".

Shilpa Shinde who plays the character of Soni says, "Jeet has got married to Soni, which is not liked by buaji. How she makes Soni's life miserable would be worth watching".

niveditha thumbnail
Sick Romit puts in extra hours

The strike in Bollywood has been especially hard for Maayka's Jeet, given that the actor has been unwell.

The lifting of the strike on Saturday has meant that TV serials are putting in extra hours to make up for the loss of four days' work and for unwell Romit Raj this means pain.

Romit has fever since Sunday but says he still must shoot. "I've fever since yesterday but can't even take rest. Maayka is a daily so instead I've to shoot for a more hours now because of the pending work, all I can do is sleep in between the breaks" said a very weary sounding Romit. He plays one of the leads in Zee TV's Maayka, and understands that the serial's scripts almost always need him to be around.

In addition to his regular work on Maayka, Romit says he also has to perform for a Diwali sequence for Ekta Kapoor's company Balaji Telefilms. This is something that he would have done in his spare time but the strike last week by Bollywood's assistants and junior staff for better pay brought all work to a halt.

"The strike's put an additional three days' pressure and to overcome this, we are having a cut-to-cut shoot so there's no time to rest", says Romit. A cut-to-cut is where the serial is shot and sent off immediately to the channel without an hour's break - and without time to properly add value in post-production.

Romit and Shilpa Shinde will be performing on songs for Diwali. "We are performing on two songs… one is 'freaky freaky' from Kismet Konnection and the other one is 'Teri orr' from Sing is King," says Romit, "I'll be shooting for the first one today at 7 pm and for the other one on the 9th". The dancing he says he prefers to the acting: "I've
performed earlier too in award functions so it's not a problem," he said, "and in any case I'm very excited to be performing for Balaji."

These special episodes will be telecasted on STAR Plus at 10 pm between 12th-25th October.

niveditha thumbnail
Sick Vineet prepares for NB

Vineet Raina, who is just recovering from a severe bout of viral fever, is preparing for his performance on Nach Baliye. Raina says that is one of the toughest times for him especially with his health not hundred percent.

"Trust me it is very difficult to perform on stage especially people like us who do not have any dance background. I have taken up a new show and I am working on it day and night. To add to this I had viral fever for three days, I am still recovering from it and on a high dose of antibiotics but I had no option than going for practice. Tanu used to come to my place everyday after her shoot and she used to take me to the practice hall in the evening. However our shooting got cancelled and it turned out to be a blessing for me. And now I am fine and ready for the show," says Vineet.

"We have participated in the show because we always wanted to be part of Nach Baliye and this show is not only about dance - it is about chemistry, relationships and presentation. It is very difficult for us to get time out of our daily shows. Tanu is a designer too so she has to manage that work also. Sometimes we end up fighting with each other after rehearsals but we are really enjoying every bit of it. We are at least getting some time for each other and that is the best part of taking part in this show," says Raina.

About his favourites from the show and judges he says, "Jaspalji's performance is like a stress buster for us, we enjoy it so much and I consider him a tough competitor too. As far as judges are concerned I know Farah is strict judge but I will listen to her as a teacher and will surely try to improve next time. Everyone has to be their own critic and I am ready for any criticism as they are all for our betterment only," Vineet says sportingly.

Vineet is doing three shows right now and Tanushree Kaushal is doing one show apart from her designing for a Canadian brand Arman. They first met each other on the sets of Ghar Ki Laxmi Betiyaan.

niveditha thumbnail
Telly stars go Diwali shopping

Dhanteras popularly known as Dhantrayodashi is one of the most important festivals of the Hindu tradition. The day involves lots of shopping of articles made of gold and silver or any new utensil which symbolizes good luck.
So we asked our small screen stars what they plan to buy this festive occasion?

Reshmii Ghosh, who is busy rehearsing for NB believes that apart from shopping for herself, this year she will also buy something for her newly born niece. "My younger sister gave birth to a baby girl and on Diwali I'll buy silver bangles and payal for my niece," says Reshmi.

Avinash Mukherjee says he will gift himself a day off! Excited about the festival, he says "I will do lots of shopping for myself. Also papa has already gifted me a laptop for Dhanteras!"

Apart from regular shopping which is in store for all of us on Diwali, Rajshri Thakur popularly known as Saloni, plans to buy a kanjivaram saree for herself as well as lots of gifts for her family and friends.

Mumma's boy Romit Raj says his mom is the one who buys some thing on Dhanteras. "I shop but for Dhanteras mom decides what to purchase… last year she bought some gold coins. I don't know what she has decided for this year!"

Sharad Kelkar is a party animal and is looking forward to doing just that on Diwali too. The actor also plans to buy something for his mom and wife, Kirti, but he hasn't decided on that special gift just yet.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/October/News_20081021_119

• Vandana Shukla, Hill Road Media
  • Tuesday, October 21, 2008

• niveditha thumbnail
    Romit to throw a big Diwali bash

Romit Raj who plays Jeet in Maayka and Yuvraj of Ghar Ki laxmi betiyaan plans to throw a big Diwali party on 25th at his Malad residence. The popular star has invited the entire cat of Maayka and Betiyaan for the do.

But Romit is not worried about the guest list that has surpassed 50.

"I want my house to be completely packed. I want everyone to bump into each other every time they turn!" says the actor.

Describing the theme of the party, Romit says "I frankly wanted to keep a beachwear theme where I wanted everybody to come in swim suits. But now because of badi maa, the theme will be cultural and traditional."

Very particular about organizing everything himself, Romit has actively been deciding on the menu too. "The guests can accept Thai and Italian," he says.

Apart from dancing, he has planned to keep a special game.

"There'll be chits with names of all the girls. And all the guys will have to pick any one chit and whoever's name is on it… then those two will have to take to the dance floor," says Romit with a mischievous smile.

This will be the first time Romit would be keeping such a get together at his place. "I've been working with Maayka and Betiyaan for over two years now, so I decided on something like this. My younger brother who is doing MBA is also to Mumbai especially for this party" says the excited lad.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/October/News_20081023_130

niveditha thumbnail
    With the strike on TV stars enjoying time off

Third day of the strike continues today. And while producers and workers are rebelling the TV stars are having a great time enjoying their chutti at home. Read on to see what are they doing in this time?

Through all this, the channel people have been promoting actress Avika Gor (Anandi of Balika Vadhu) and she is busy with that. Apart from this, she plans to do lots and lots of shopping for Diwali. "Main diwali ke liye itne kapde khareedongi ki jinhe main pehente pehente thak jaoon," says the excited girl.

Siddharth Shukla (Shubh of Babul ka aangan.) is busy doing the Lakme Fashion Week all these days for which he's working very hard.

Parul Chauhan aka Ragini of Bidaai is finishing all her work during all these days. She says "I went to the parlour where I was not able to go because of my shooting, and then I will be going for shopping to town with Sara and Ali."

Apart from freaking out with friends, the Maayka guy Romit Raj has got a good opportunity to fulfill all his wishes. He says "Because of the busy schedule, I don't get time to watch movies, which is one of my hobbies. But now, due to the strike I've been watching movies like I saw Buddy of Life, Welcome to Sajjanpur and many others."

Aastha Chaudhary (Babul ka Aangan) is having a good time too, with her family at her hometown in Alvar, Rajasthan for which she left on the very first day of the strike that is Wednesday.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2008/October/News_20081024_136

niveditha thumbnail

< name="selZoom" value="100" ="">
    < name="P1" viewastext="" width="240" height="45"> < name="" value="http://mydomain.com/video.wmv"> < name="rate" value="1"> < name="balance" value="0"> < name="current" value="0"> < name="default" value=""> < name="playCount" value="1"> < name="autoStart" value="-1"> < name="currentMarker" value="0"> < name="invokes" value="-1"> < name="" value=""> < name="volume" value="50"> < name="mute" value="0"> < name="uiMode" value="full"> < name="stretchToFit" value="-1"> < name="lessVideo" value="0"> < name="enabled" value="-1"> < name="enableContextMenu" value="-1"> < name="fullScreen" value="0"> < name="SAMIStyle" value=""> < name="SAMILang" value=""> < name="SAMIname" value=""> < name="captioningID" value=""> < name="enableErrorDialogs" value="0"> < name="_cx" value="6350"> < name="_cy" value="1191"> < ="application/x-mp2" ="http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/Article.aspx?article=27_10_2008_536_001&mode=1" name="objMediaP" autostart="1" current="0" name="" width="240" height="40">