Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi

Riva Bubber Live Interview TRANSCRIPT

sweetrani_neha thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Riva Bubber Live Interview

September 7, 2005

Brought to you by India-Forums in conjunction with Craze FM

TRANSCRIPT OF INTERVIEW:

Interviewer Wakas: Guys you're listening to Craze FM live show with Wakas on Craze FM of course. Thanks to India-Forums we have Riva Bubber with us. Hello?

Riva: (Long pause) Hii

Wakas: Hello Riva. How are you doing?

R: I'm doing great, thanks Vikas... how are you doing?

W: I'm fine, thank you, I'm fine. So how's the weather at your place right now? Everything alright there?

R: Yeaa everything is fine, thanks. It's not raining so much in Mumbai right now. We're all safe and sound from the floods. So that's taken care of.

W: That's great. Well first of all I'd like to welcome you to Craze FM radio in conjunction with India-Forums as they got you in touch with us. And now you're here in front of thousands of people listening to this live show right now.

R: (Laughs) Thanks so much for having me here. It's absolutely wonderful. I've been on radio live before but never internationally so wow… it's a great feeling.

W: Great. So let me just introduce you to those people who aren't that familiar with the proper name of yours. Riva Bubber… you are currently very popular as Damini, the eldest bahu of Tulsi, in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. Yes?

R: That's right

W: You started modeling for very big names such as Cadbury and came to be recorded as a "photographer's delight"

R: (Laughs) Yea thanks

W: So as I was saying before, you're kind of a delight for us right now on Craze FM and it's lovely to have you with us.

R: Thank you so much.

W: We're just going to start the interview now. On behalf of India-Forums and Craze FM all the audience of this live interview we wish you a Happy Ganesh Chaturthi. And...

R: Thank you soo much... And I wish the same to you and all the listeners who are listening to me right now .

W: Let's start the interview now Riva.

First question is from sunny: Riva you are a commerce graduate. How did you escape the acting bug for so long? Did you consider acting as a profession (Riva laughs) at any point of time when you were studying?

R: Well umm I used to model as a kid and then you know of course I got serious about education so that's how I went to school and college and stuff and to answer sunny's question you know as it often happens often in Bombay when you're a half-way decent  kid. Everyone is like hey you should try your hand in modeling and that's actually pretty much how modeling happened to me while I was just a kid in college. And I did quite a bit of work in the advertising scenario and then my first show Kyun Hota Hai Pyaar happened on TV and then Kyunki and so forth and what can I say, I never looked back. So it wasn't really planned but it just happened and touchwood it worked really well for me.

W: Har cheez ka koi na koi maksat hota hai na... we're glad you're in this industry as well so that was a good choice.

R: (Laughs) 

W: So what was your parents' reaction Riva to taking up acting as a profession? Do you have any siblings as well? If so, how did they react?

R: Well I do have two older siblings. I have two brothers and they are both married with babies. My parents were very supportive actually because thankfully by then there were girls from really good families who had come into the profession whether it was modeling or films or whatever. They were really supportive... they said as long as you know what you're doing… you may have your head on your shoulders…

W: Exactly. It's a very big plus isn't it when the parents are with you and everyone is with you instead of saying yeh nahin ho sakta.

So how did Kyun Hota Hai Pyaar happen to u? Did they come to have makeovers in serials now?

R: Well actually what happened was when I was doing Cadbury… the people called over... the person heading Star Plus then… When Kyun Hota Hai Pyaar came out and they needed a good particular character... you know he suggested my name to Nina Gupta and that's how it started.

(Wakas: Let me just check the volume out a bit so people can hear you properly. .A little more louder I think… Yea…)

W: So the question is from Princess: Are you related to Raj Bubber in any way? And are you Punjabi?

R: Yes I'm Punjabi but no (laughs) I'm not related to Raj Bubber

(They speak a few lines back and forth in Punjabi… In between Punjabi Riva says some English words which makes Vikas remark yeh English kitte aa gayi… Riva: "that's the thing being Mumbaiya your Hindi become Hinglish and your Punjabi is like Painjabi")

W: More questions... from sweetrani_neha and strawberrymusse we have the question: With all your shootings can you briefly describe for us a typical working day and a non-working day? How do you manage to do all these serials' shootings? Kaisa hota hai yeh sab kuch?

R: Ahh well a typical working day is when I wake up at 7 in the morning…

W: Wow that's early...

R: Because I have to leave my house at 8… yea it's not as easy as it looks… leave the house at 8 get to work by about 9 cause obviously our studios are far out from where we live... And a typical day I work till about 9, sometimes 10 at night, and come home by 11. If I don't have any plans I met up with my friends or whatever... that's a typical working day.

A non working day which unfortunately are far and few apart… I try and sleep as much as I can…I you know sleep late and stuff… catch up on sleep…

W: To catch up on beauty sleep. Yea of course that's needed…

R: Yea totally. I spend time with my mom. I play with my dog. I try and meet up with my friends whenever I can or basically just sit at home and catch up with things that are happening at home that I've been missing out on.

W: Yea exactly. So question from sree_20: As I said from before… you are known as the photographer's delight… What's your comment about that?

R: (Laughs) well that's really sweet… It's actually flattering… I didn't know I was known as a photographer's delight…

W: Well now you do (laughs)

R: Yea I do (laughs) umm it's nice… it's definitely flattering and like they say flattery can get anywhere with a woman…well almost anywhere (laughs)

W: You're featured in many ads... any of your favorites? And why?

R: Umm I'd have to say Cadbury by far was my favorite... even though it wasn't my first; actually it was my second commercial… Reason being: I had an absolute blast when I was shooting it. It was a lot of fun and of course I got to eat loads of chocolate (laughs). And it was also you could say my one ad that got me into the spotlight and stuff like that so it's always special in every way… it was great fun shooting and it really worked for me.

W: So I was just asking before do u get free chocolate for life or something like that?

R: No I wish… but no… (Laughs)

W: That would be a dream come true wouldn't it?

R: But I got to take home as many chocolates as I wanted to that day. It's just that I was so tired of eating chocolates then, I was like it's ok I don't want any more.

W: Exactly you could just rent a truck and fill it up and take it home forever (Laughs).

Here's another question we have from Tani91... the question is: What is the secret of your good looks and what is one thing you like about yourself? Anything which you think is a plus point?

R: Mmmm... Ok well thank you for that. I think my good looks would be attributed purely to good genes. Thankfully I have nice looking parents (laughs) ... And it would be a little bit selfish of me to comment on what I like about myself but generally what people like about me is my smile …cause I am not like really with my smile… you know that's how they say smile and say murder… so basically I think as soon as you smile you can get away with anything, it definitely makes you happy, makes anyone who is looking at you smiling… so smileee (laughs)

W: Another question is from Princess…. What kind of person are you in real life? Example... quiet, loving, caring, chatty, stubborn, introvert, extrovert… etc

R: Mmm well I can be extremely introverted when I chose to but basically I'm an extrovert at heart but at the same time I like my space as I guess all of us do... And umm I'm basically quite an easy going person... I have a little quirk but I guess everyone does.

W: Are you stubborn sometimes…

R: Yah yah… totally totally… I can be really really stubborn when it comes to things that I'm majorly, morally opposed to or something like that then yah… otherwise I'm a fairly easygoing and flexible person.

W: Did that change of stubbornness come to you after you entered the industry or was it before? You know how some people become totally stubborn after they enter…?

R: No... I think I've always been like that… you know when I guess all of us have things and quirks… that's why you're basically okay but you know you will not stand for something being done… so I guess I am just normal am not one of those trying stars or anything like that

W: Another question from nandinee: What's your experience acting in KSBKBT?

R: (Pause) it's been great. It's be over two years now. Kyunki has sort of become like family to me. A lot of us have gone through a lot together. Like people have gotten married, had babies and you know all of that… Kyunki has been on for five years now so it's great… it's home away from home. In fact there are times when sometimes you're not too well but you have to work and my mom is actually quite relaxed when I'm going to Kyunki because she's like Ok I know all the mothers there will take care of you. It's been absolutely fantastic.

W: Question from JinK: who's your favorite co-star? And why? :

R: (pause) Ehh... Well that's a though one… I've actually (touchwood)… I've been really really lucky. I have wonnnderfulll costars to work with whether it's been people who are my seniors be it Tulsi or Savita or Gayatri chachi or whether it's Ganga or Nandini or anyone whether it's Gomzy or Karan or anyone; they've been absolutely fantastic to work with. Even…

(Pause… 2 second loss of connection between Interviewer Wakas and Riva)

R: I've always been really lucky (touchwood), and I have really fantastic people to work with, so work's never been work work…

W: I thought we lost you here because of a break (Laughs) Ok…Another question here... In real life… are you closer to Niki or Damini? And this one is from jenny1000. I'm naming those names because we're gong to give away 3 autographed pictures to the best questions… so that's why we're giving away names as well... So jenny1000 is asking Niki or Damini?

R: Probably a little of both actually because I think you end up giving up a little of yourself to your characters if you've been playing it as long as I've been playing Damini or a year and a half that I've played Niki. I am deep down inside still a little girl so you could say I'm a bit of Niki like that and like Damini I will stand for what I believe is wrong... yes you know being a women, being Indian, being brought up a certain way that we've all been brought up you tend to have slightly a submissive kind of nature … well not really submissive but I think more giving... because a woman is more maternal and nurturing... plus I'm Cancerian... so fits the package (laughs)

W: So do you actually believe in the fact that when you're giving something to the world you're also taking something back as well?

(Pause... Riva asks him to repeat question and after his clarification, she replies)

R: Well I often feel I wish I had the kind of patience that my character Damini has. I can be a little impatient. You tell me if you were working from 8 in the morning until 11 in the night and basically didn't have a life would you be a very patient person? (Laughs)

W: No I won't (laughs)

R: You know Kyunki has taught me a lot because I'm single right now but in Kyunki I've gotten married, had in-laws, gone through pregnancies and had babies so I'm pretty much prepared for what life as in store for me.

W: So it helps a little bit to be in the industry and be things that you aren't at the moment. Yah actually it's fun sometimes, where you can go in there and put on your make up and clothes and be somebody else, doesn't everyone do that?? (Laughs)

Question from i_luv_shah_rukh, kpatel98, and Minnie: how does it feel to play the role of a wife, a mother, a bahu in Kyunki especially when you're none of them so far in real life?

R: (Laughs) I guess that's what acting is really about and also over the years you kind of fall into your character and it often happens you end up putting in a little of yourself as you live with your character as long as you have… so you end up thinking things like I don't think my character would do that.. She's more likely to do something like this… so it's been great fun even though I haven't been any of these in real life. It's good fun.

W: Another question, from DeepAnBH: You were adjudged the Best Jethani, twice in a row. And now you are having a lot of misunderstandings with Ganga. How does it feel to fight with your beloved devrani now?

R: Actually you know what I hate it because Shilpa who plays Ganga and I are really good friends… as we would be… we've been together for so long now. We keep going like "oh my God we're fighting again"… it feels bad because you know we've been so close and there's much I've sacrificed for her and vice versa... so it feel a bit weird to be fighting… but it's acting at the end of the day. The minute they call cut we're laughing and giggling again.

W: Another question, from preity*zinta: If you had a choice would you want to play any other character in Kyunki and if yes, why would u do that?

R: (Pause) Noo... I'm really happy playing Damini... like I said my character has you know... I'm soft, giving, and all of that, I'm not someone who's going to take crap from anyone... I stand up for what I believe in... which according to what I believe right now is that I need my kid back and that's what I'm standing up for.

W: Another quick question, from lakshmi_ram: How has your relationship been with Ekta and Balaji televisions?

R: (Pause) it's been really good actually, I obviously got to know Ekta once I started working with her but it's been fantastic. One thing that really does work for you is that Ekta isn't actually much older than I am so we're on a one to one level… and Shobha Aunty is like my mom there... you give her the due respect. But it's been great fun working with Ekta… she's basically a really nice, chilled- out person.

(Riva is reintroduced by Vikas to the people who just tuned in)

W: Let's get back to our questions… the next question is from sweet_20: who is the most negative character according to you in Kyunki?

R: (pause) In Kyunki... (Pause) I think the most negative character was Ansh who's no more (pause) and currently I guess you have to say Mohini because she is everything that a good person shouldn't be (giggles) so currently I guess you could say it's Mohini.

W: Another question from sweetrani_neha: You have great chemistry with Summet Sachdev, your co-star (Riva: mmhmm). There is news from the Balaji camp that you both are addressed as Mr. and Mrs. Virani. Your comments about that.

R: (Laughs) well yes we are but in case you're wishing whether we're an item or something... No we're not... much as everyone would want that… we're just good friends, as I know to a lot of people it seems to sound extremely clichd... And trust me if there's anything more than that then you guys will be the first to know (laughs)

W: We interviewed Swapnil Joshi last week and I asked him the question... he said that he's married to someone with a profession as a dentist… Juhi... so he said the reason I married her was because I didn't want somebody who does same thing and I just end up home seeing same face over and over gain... So what do you think about that? If you married someone, would that person be around the industry even though that's something nobody can decide?

R: Well it's really hard to say... you never know... they say love is blind… even if it's arranged or whatever... I don't think you really care about what the partner is doing in terms of a profession or a career... I mean he could be an actor; he could be a director, or whatever you know. I don't think it really matters what the person's profession is as long as he's doing a good honest job of whatever he's doing... and basically meets the criteria of being intelligent, honest person, witty… as long as he's all of that.. I mean I really don't care what the profession is from my point of view. You have a lot of on-screen and off-screen couples like Hiten and Gauri or if it's Apoorva Agnihotri and Shilpa... but they think it works for them you know because like I told you we don't get to be at home and most of the time when you are at home you're sleeping… So they think it works for them because you get to spend time with each other at work as well... So basically it's to each and own and what you chose to do.

W: We have about 10 minutes left with the interview… we're just going to ask you the rest of the questions now... Thanks to India-Forums we have a lot of questions from there now. Let's see... how far are you from marriage and life… there it comes again… from cute1288

R: Oh God... (Laughs) well I don't know... you never know who you'll come across and the magic just happens and that's it…you want to get hitched and just settle down… I can't really say how far I am because I don't know what the future holds for me but as of now I don't have plans of getting married… but when the right person comes along then the time will be just right and everything will fall into place.

W: Another question from fariha from India-Forums: How do you find it to emote in serials? I mean immediately after a crying scene, do you feel like bursting into laughter or something?

R: (pause) well sometimes it gets a little tough because you're working all day and at the end of the day your like all tired and want to go home and you have to do this scene where you have to be all happy… and a scene where you probably want to slap someone, that's the best sharing motion of being over-worked all day (Laughs)… and sometimes you're not in the mood to get into the crying or romantic mood but you got to do it. It's really ok… Like how I was talking about Ganga and I fighting a lot now… we are friends and we think it's so ridiculous that we're fighting on screen and the minute you call cut were like cracking up like I said before... so that seems a bit ridiculous like a second ago we were like tu tu mein mein…

W: And all of a sudden you're fighting…

R: Yea completely (laughs)

W: Ok we have some rapid fire questions here which you have to answer right away

Favourite color? (Pause) Blue

Favourite TV personality? Ronit Roy

(Meantime there is a call waiting as u can hear a sporadic beep… Wakas starts rushing a little)

Favourite Dish? (pause) Pasta

Favourite Place? (asks to repeat… pauses) London definitely

Do you shop for brands or do u get anything u like? (Pause) Anything I like as long as it looks good and is comfortable

Favourite Serial… apart from yours? (Laughs) Friends actually… and Sex and the City

Favourite Character? (Pause) Mmm... Tom and Jerry

Any idols in life? Any guru? Well I look up to a lot of people like Mother Theresa who is no more (and…) I think they've been so selfless and just given not expecting anything in return and I think that's a fantastic quality

W: At the very last… tell us something about your family.

R: (pause) well like I said I have two older brothers and they have kids… and my second brother just had a baby and she's like the absolute apple of my eye. She's four months old and absolutely adorable and I can't wait for her to start calling me Riva Bhua (Laughs). We're basically a close knit family but then my eldest brother is living in Florida… far away... you know how that can be… long distance... but otherwise I'm basically a home girl. I like being at home any time I guess... and with my doggie...

W: So what's the name of your doggie?

R: His name is Benjy... and everyone who knows me knows him

W: That's a very nice name... Benjy (Laughs)... At the very end I would just like to say all the best to Riva on behalf of India-Forums and our Craze FM team from here and everybody who's listening…

R: Thank you

(Riva is asked to record a mini-jingle… She says in her very sweet tone: Hi, this is Riva Bubber and you're listening to Craze FM… Have funnn!)

W: Brilliant. Thank you very much for your time Riva and have a very nice day.

R: Not at all… byeeee

(End interview)

Edited by sweetrani_neha - 18 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sweetrani_neha thumbnail
**NOTE: The above Transcript of Riva's Live Interview isn't verbatum as it was hard to decipher all the words, but after 2-3 painstaking hours, it's the best I got😉😊...***

SPECIAL THANKS TO SWATI (preity*zinta) for helping me with editing the transcript... I know it was crazy listening to the interview ten times😆 and adding in details but thanks soo much yaar for your help with this! GREAT JOB👏!! love u!!😳

Link to download interview (MP3): https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/86654

Enjoy everyone... Please post your comments😊

Neha (sweetrani_neha)
~Khizer~ thumbnail

Great Job Neha!👏

Your hard work is greatly appreciated by us all!!!

Thanks so much!

Bunty

DeepAnBH thumbnail
Great job Neha, just edited Vikas to read Wakas...
anju_bangalore thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Well Done Sweet_rani Neha...

Really apprecaited...

i can understand the pain u took in decoding the interview...

Thanks from behalf of all who got to read and dint listen...

😃
Lady In Pink thumbnail
wow!
gr8 job done. 👏 👏 ........i am at a loss of words rite now....this must hav taken u like SOO long.......thnk u neha dii n swati............ur work is highly appreciated 😊 👏
rose82 thumbnail
thanks neha and swati....hard work..just for all of us.3 cheers to u both!! 👏 👏 👏
Babli4ever thumbnail

Thank you soo much for you effort to put all this together

great job neha 👏

Really appreciate it

thank a lot

love
Babli
ronitfan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks soooo much for this..Reva is defintely a sweety! 😃