Crisis tips: energy, climate & food

Posted: 15 years ago

Folks, the world is witnessing the beginnings of several global crises -- energy shortages and their negative impact on the economy, climate change and its calamitous consequences and, worst of all, global food shortages and famine.

I have decided to start this thread so that we, IF readers, can share some simple home wisdom -- tips to help conserve energy, preserve the environment and alleviate food shortages. What each of us does one at a time may not count for much but collectively and over time, we may all be able to make some difference.

Edited by Bonheur - 15 years ago
So, I shall start with what I have been doing lately:

1. I plan my shopping trips carefully so that I do not have to drive unnecessarily and run up petrol bills.

2. I carry a nice cloth bag from the NTUC supermarket in Singapore, which helps me decline at least 4-5 plastic bags at supermarkets as the cloth bag is extremely large as a carrier.

3. I buy fewer canned food items when I go shopping as I do not want to have to junk them when they reach the end of their shelf lives. (Actually, I wish there were some sort of food cooperative that can help singles like myself who are often unable to find fresh produce in smaller portions and could do with pooled purchases.)

4. I have decided to junk old Indian wisdom that says a brighly-lit home brings in Lakshmi. I keep on as few lights as possible when I am home. I even switch off the main lights in the prayer room since the Mahalakshmi lamp is illumination enough.

5. I rarely use the air-conditioning. I switch it on at most for half hour and then only when the mercury hits at least 35 C and it becomes unbearably hot.
Nice tips Bon.
When I get ideas, I will add to your list. Well done.
good topic bon.
here are some small things i follow..
- I use energy saver bulbs instead of regular ones.
- Make sure my PC is off(when not in use) and all the chargers/electrical things are plugged out as soon as its used.
- Shopping in Farmers market instead of large super market.
- In summer i dry clothes in my backyard, instead of dryer eventhough i use washer for washing clothes.
-Plan the full week's food menu, make list and buy accordingly, instead of buying a lot and give it to fungus.

will come with other ones when i remember.
the very first thing i would like to suggest is please take in your plate just as much food as you would like to eat....dont waste food. i find a lot of people have the habit of leaving food on their plates..i dont know if they think is not "in" to eat neatly and empty your plate or what...but please dont waste. dont leave a mouthful of milk/coffee etc in your cup. take that much less if you dont want it...Edited by jasunap - 15 years ago
Priyav, I like your idea of drying clothes in the backyard in the summer. Unfortunately, although it's perpetually summer in Singapore, some of us live in flats and have no backyards. Hanging out clothes to dry from pole points outside our kitchens is hazardous since some neighbours inconsiderately hang out dirty clothes mops and what not and you don't want your previous clothes getting soiled. I have been using a dryer ever since I moved to a flat about 10 years ago. But I should consider switching off the dryer when the clothes are partially dry so that I can hang them up for drying in my room. Thanks.

Yes, I too use energy saving bulbs. I am told some countries are now phasing out incandescent bulbs in favour of fluorescent lamps and other energy-savers. I believe Australia was planning to do so.

Jasunap, YOu're right about people piling up their plates with food at buffets as if it's the last meal they're gonna have in their lives.

I heard on BBC this morning that some guy in Australia is starting to power up his mercedes benz with used cooking oil from restaurants. I believe there was a similar story a few weeks ago about a couple in America doing the same thing. The flipside is the odour, I guess. I am not sure whether such oil produces fumes.
Good thread to start off Bon. 👏

Here are some tips I am following and will follow:

Switching off the lights and nag others too. (although when I forget, the famiy take the opportunity to jump on me 😃 )

Another tip I follow is, in shower, when soaping time, I won't let the water run. Also, when brushing teeth, do not let water run. Use glass of water to gurgle.

Ensure fridge is closed all the time. When removing something from fridge, open the door half way or remove whatever you need at one go instead of taking out one by one.

Do not put your tv on standby mode. Switch it off.

You are right Jas. One thing famous about Malaysians (I hate to say this but I am always disgusted about it),when there is buffet, they pile up the food on their plate like there is no tomorrow. Then they go on and waste it. Once I was really pissed off with my colleague, I told her off for wasting the food, which was meant for the whole team to eat, but because some of them got in late, they had no food. But this woman she piled up so much food, then left nearly three quarters not eaten and I blew my fuse. 😡

Stop daily trips to Coffee BEan/San Francisco etc.

Car pool, although it is difficult.

Fill in your petrol early in the morning to get maximum mileage. Filling your car in the afternoon/evening esp in hot climate will get lesser for your value money.

Use public transport.

If you are in traffic jam, roll down your window and switch off your aircon. Although in Malaysia, the air outside is bad! 😡
very useful disussion yaar.........we ppl know how 2 save money..........likewise we shud bring a saving habit within us in consuming power,water & all other necessities.we can unplug refigerator(if we're not going to use more than a week) & other electrical appliances when we go for a vacation.

wasting food can be avoided.....not only in buffets.....even in sum houses ppl used 2 cook too much & throw away......this can be strictly avoided.even,when we stock provisions too much.......it sumtimes get spoiled......we can buy small quantities & use it 2 avoid wastage.

Originally posted by Bonheur

Jasunap, YOu're right about people piling up their plates with food at buffets as if it's the last meal they're gonna have in their lives.

This made me chuckle. 😊

Very useful thread there, Bonheur. Lots of interesting info to remember and use in our everyday lives. I have a lot to learn from here.

Priyav - Half of the fresh produce I buy, ends up in the garbage at the end of the week. I don't know if I end up buying more b'cos certain produce is offered at a good price that week or b'cos if I'm not sure whether I canmake that trip to the Farmers market the following week etc., Reading posts such as these makes one re-think what they've been doing. 
I would love to follow your clothesline idea in summer - at least for a couple of months of summer that we get. This way can even salvage some clothes from the dryer's shrinking effect. I have various bugs/spiders in my backyard due to the large number of trees there. If you did have that issue, how did you solve it?

I have received this tip so many times via email on fuel saving, and one of my friend told me she actually practices it and it works. So to all the drivers.

Tips on Filling your Vehicles...

I don't know what you guys are paying for petrol... but here in Durban, we are also paying higher, up to 47.35 per litre. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every litre.
Here at the Marian Hill Pipeline, where I work in Durban, we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline.
One day is diesel; the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, LRP and Unleaded. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 litres.
ONLY BUY OR FILL UP YOUR CAR OR BIKKIE IN THE EARLY MORNING WHEN THE GROUND TEMPERATURE IS STILL COLD. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground, the denser the fuel, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening.... your litre is not exactly a litre.
In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products play an important role. A 1degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 1 of 2
WHEN YOU'RE FILLING UP, DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER OF THE NOZZLE TO A FAST MODE. If you look, you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low,
Compiled by Ramesh Patel on 16.03.2008 @ 10:00Hrs. Page 2 of 2
middle, and high. In slow mode, you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created, while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.
ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TIPS IS TO FILL UP WHEN YOUR TANK IS HALF FULL. The reason for this is, the more fuel you have in your tank, the less air occupying its empty space. Petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. Petroleum storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.
Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated, so that every litre is actually the exact amount.
ANOTHER REMINDER, IF THERE IS A FUEL TRUCK PUMPING INTO THE STORAGE TANKS, WHEN YOU STOP TO BUY, DO NOT FILL UP - most likely the petrol/diesel is being stirred up as the fuel is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.
Hope, this will help you get the maximum value for your money.
DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS! LET'S SHARE INFORMATION AND BENEFIT ALL, FOR THE BETTER OF MANKIND.