Princess thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Engager 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 19 years ago

Hi guys, Happy Lohri!!!! I don't know if other cultures also celebrate it or not, but Sikhs do. It's on Jan 12th, 2005. My mom just called India and my uncle told us. Once again Happy Lohri.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ritu thumbnail
Happy lohri to all my friends. I am going to celebrate it with my friend dhoom dhaam se.
Princess thumbnail

If u guys don't know what Lohri means here's something that might help you.

Lohri

Lohri marks the culmination of winter, and is celebrated on the 13th day of January in the month of Paush or Magh, a day before Makar Sankranti. For Punjabis, this is more than just a festival, it is also an example of a way of life. Lohri celebrates fertility and the spark of life. People gather round the bonfires, throw sweets, puffed rice and popcorn into the flames, sing popular songs and exchange greetings.

An extremely auspicious day, Lohri marks the sun's entry in to the 'Makar Rashi' (northern hemisphere). The period, beginning from 14 January lasting till 14 July, is known as Uttarayan. It is also the last day of the month of Maargazhi, the ninth month of the lunar calendar. The Bhagawad Gita deems it an extremely sacred and auspicious time, when Lord Krishna manifests himself most tangibly. And so, across India, people celebrate the month and the prodigious harvest it brings - Pongal in Tamil Nadu, Bihu in Assam, Bhogi in Andhra Pradesh and the Sankranti in Karnataka, Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.

The focus of Lohri is on the bonfire. The traditional dinner with makki ki roti and sarson ka saag is quintessential. The prasad comprises of five main things: til, gazak, gur, moongphali, phuliya and popcorn. There is puja, involving parikrama around the fire and distribution of prasad. This symbolises a prayer to Agni, the spark of life, for abundant crops and prosperity.

It is also the one day when the womenfolk and children get attention. The first Lohri of a bride is extremely important. The first Lohri of a newborn baby, whether a girl or a boy, is also equally important. Children go from door to door singing and asking for the Lohri prasad

Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
 Happy Lohri to all and tnx for the info princess😊
*Anjali* thumbnail
Thanks for the info, Princess!  Happy Lohri to those who celebrate it!
HUMM thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
wish u all also a happy lori!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ
nandiinii thumbnail

happy lohri friends!!😊

mango thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
princess its not only sikhs who celebrate lohri everyone in northern india celebrates lohri
rabeeak2003 thumbnail
thanks for the info princess! HAPPY LOHRI!
Princess thumbnail

Originally posted by: Manjot

princess its not only sikhs who celebrate lohri everyone in northern india celebrates lohri

Thanks for letting me know that manjot!!😊 As i said in my first post that i'm not sure if other cultures celebrate it or not. so thanks once again😊