Frequent Posters

heart*beat thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago
Courtesy kg

THE NAME GAME

heart*beat thumbnail

DANDIYA DHOOM

Tradition meets glamour, as an array of stars wear their dancing shoes for the dandiya special on Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi

RESHMA S. KULKARNI

MAHA AARTI: Eijaaz Khan and Natassha

Gearing up

Sankraman Studio has been buzzing with activity for the past two days, and today the fervour is at its maximum. The reason? The Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi parivaar is celebrating Navratri. The show also has other 25 big actors participating. Director Arif Shamsi explains, "The Dandiya Dhoom has been conceived on the lines of a film, hence it has a story base, with the Virani family inviting all others to celebrate dandiya with them and the songs have been woven into this story." The first day's shoot has scenes between Baa (Sudha Shivpuri) and Tulsi (Smriti Iraani), Gayatri (Kamalika Guha Thakurta) and Savita (Apara Mehta) and a dandiya pooja. The surprise package is Daksha's (Ketki Dave) entry, in spite of the fact that the actor had walked out of the show. But a five-hour power cut slackens the pace of the shoot, leaving the actors with free time for games and chitchat.

Wait for a while

The second day shoot consists of performances by a host of youngsters and a family antakshari, the highlight of which is Baa's dance performance on Kaaton se kheench ke yeh aachal. Today's the shoot for the grand finale and despite working till 4 am the previous day, all the actors have come to the sets on time. Vanity vans can be seen parked all over the studio. However, there's no sign of the stars even after lunch, although they are all dressed up and ready. Some of them are catching a few winks in their vans! Only Gauri Pradhan and Hiten Tejwani have canned their shots in the morning and are waiting for the dandiya to begin. Gauri takes up making flower garlands and does a neat job of it! Soon, Karisma Tanna and Rakshanda Khan arrive. It's Rakshanda's birthday next week, and she goads Karisma (who's giving sound bytes to a TV channel) to give her birthday wishes on-camera. The two then lapse into a hearty chat. Rakshanda is mighty pleased with her costume. Karisma is a wee disappointed that she wouldn't be able to do her exclusive dance sequence as her partner, Shilpa Saklani, has been afflicted with slipped disc.

It's the time to dandiya

Late in the afternoon, the stars are given a final call to be on the floor. All of them look ethereal in the costumes that Nim Sood (fondly called Maasi) has designed specially for this show. The men are wearing traditional dandiya outfits, but the women have bold and glamourous ones. Sakshi Tanwar is pleased as a punch with her sequinned white sari (designed keeping in view her track in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki), especially as she was earlier quite sceptical about how it would look amidst a bevy of colourful costumes.

Dance away

As the stars gather on the sets opulently decorated with flowers, chandeliers and curtains, choreographer Geeta arranges them in pairs and assigns them numbers, as per their sequence in the maha aarti shot. The maha aarti done with, all the stars make a beeline to the adjacent set where a Parde ke peeche is being shot as a prelude to the event. Another surprise element of the show is Jeetendra's participation in the dandiya. Jumping Jack has not had time to rehearse, but manages to outshine the youngsters and rushes off to catch a flight. Individual performances have begun amidst wild cheering from the fellow actors. As we leave the sets, the gaiety makes one realise, how apt it is to call them a parivaar!

AA RA RA! Apara, Ketki and Kamalima

WHO 'NOSE'? Cezanne and Shweta Tiwari
.iqbal thumbnail
this is also an article of 2004.i still remem it so i decided to post it.

Aamna Shariff loves the aroma that permeates her house once Ramzan is on.

"That's because there's always something special cooking each day of the month," she sighs longingly.
Rakshanda Khan looks forward to the bowls of fruit custard that she relishes without any gastronomic regrets each evening. Nausheen's piece de resistance is sevaiya and biryani, Aly Khan's epicurean delights begin with khajoor and chat.

Hectic shooting schedulesmay not allow television stars the luxury of a placid lifestyle that can allow rigorous fasting during Ramzan, but many of our devout tele-stars believe that the holy month brings them closer to God. "I don't fast, because one can get irritated when you are shooting continuously, without eating. My mother, sister and brother however do," says Aamna.

Eijaz Khan sounds a similar note. "Ramzan is a cleansing period where you let go of basic sins and feel rejuvenated," he says. Eijaz lives alone and has no relatives in Mumbai. But his Kkoi Dil Mein Hai unit members make it up for him by getting him goodies every day, when there's a break in shooting at 7 pm.

Aly Khan, in the news recently for being undiplomatically dumped from K Street Pali Hill, will always cherish the holy month, having tied the knot just five days before Ramzan.
And of course, he loves to sight the crescent Eid moon, and has fond memories of the sightings in his childhood. A devout follower, he says he is particular about fasting and loves to have iftaar parties.

Rakshanda, who has been fasting since she was in school, even if the family traveled a lot, says air conditioned studios take away most of the discomfort associated with fasting. "It is only the outdoor shoots that make one uncomfortable," says this actor, who prays regularly during the month, and takes a break on Eid day. "That's the day I stay home and relatives come over. I love to attend iftaar parties, but my mother is the best cook!"

Aamna, who does fast some days of the month, recalls her childhood eidy with delight. "In those days, even Rs 500 used to be like 5000 Rs, enough to last us at least two to three months."

However, there are some for whom Ramzan is just another month on the calendar. Cezanne Khan has never fasted, and shrugs, "There is no particular reason for doing nothing during Ramzan. I don't do it; it is as simple as that. Celebration doesn't mean one needs to fast."

Then, he adds as an afterthought,"Eid, I do celebrate."
.iqbal thumbnail
Ekta to rustle up a Kandie Floss for Sony!

The queen of soaps hasn't been keeping very well for some time now, but as they say, life

Ekta Kapoor: summer bonanza on television

goes on, and so do her projects. Ekta Kapoor is all set to launch Kandie Floss on Sony in the coming months and going by the channel USP, it could be another fresh, young and passionate love story in the making.

"Sony has viewers who appreciate alternative programming, something that the other channels lack. So I could do a Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai on this channel. I am also doing Kandie Floss for them," says Ekta, declining to say anything more on the soap.

Ekta, has a slew of projects lined up for the end of the year, across all channels and a variety of genres. "I am doing a reality show, but I won't tell you anything about it now!" grins Ekta.
.iqbal thumbnail
Watch out for....

BY VICKEY LALWANI

They created ripples of interest in 2004, but are poised to make waves in 2005. We present here the best of the small screen lot who are sure to make headlines in the new year....

Ejaz Khan
He was bumped off in Kkoi Dil Mein Hai and kicked out of Kahiin To Hoga. Seen in Kesar too. He's about to die in Kkusum, but still Ejaz's fans don't seem to get enough of him. They devotedly lap up all his scenes, but ironically, all the fan mail he receives is addressed to Varun of KTH. With his rugged good looks, he could emerge as the tele-hunk of 2005, only if he markets himself a bit better!

Gauri Pradhan
Viewers can't seem to get over her. The Kyunki... ratings have gone a notch higher since she joined the show, and the girl seems to be getting prettier, even if a little plumper, by the day. She is the better half of the handsomest couple on television, but the shy Hiten Tejwani seems to lurk in the background while Gauri enjoys the spotlight. 2005 could well see her blossoming into a tele-star, provided she takes up more than her Kyunki... assignment.

Akashdeep Saigal
In the short period that he vitiated the Kyunki... atmosphere, Ansh left a mark with his mannerisms as well as his unconventional striking looks. He's scheduled to exit Kyunki... in ignominy this week, after being shot dead by Tulsi, but claims he has a big Balaji project that will materialise soon. This is one face that won't be forgotten by couch potatoes in a hurry.

Mona Wasu
So far, she's just been seen in ads and a stray telefilm on Sahara One, but might just be the surprise package of 2005. Mona makes her debut in Star Plus' Millie in the first quarter of the year. Knowing how director vinta Nanda handles her subjects, it won't be too much of a surprise if Mona turns out to be the Tara of the year.

Gaurav Chanana
He disappeared after a brief stint as Rahul in Sanjivani when it launched, and Gaurav must have kicked himself hard for that decision. But the hazel eyed actor's return to television as Raj/Sameer of Hey....Yehi To Hai Woh on Star One seems to be working well with viewers. He has a penchant for comedy and those cool, collegian looks may just work for him in 2005.

Kulraj Kaur
As the bubbly Kareena, Kulraj hits all the right chords. With Kareena Kareena, she also gets to emote - as the sober Mrs Sood and the effervescent RJ. A refreshing change from the overdone beauties of television. A potential versatile actor to watch out for in 2005.

Pawan Shankar
This 29 year old has been dabbling in television, but Siddhanth on Star One was his real big break this year. He experimented with his looks and attended court trials to give a realistic performance as a lawyer. Siddhanth is currently getting good reviews, and the fact that Balaji Telefilms considered casting him in place of Rajeev Khandelwal as Sujal speaks volumes for his talent. Watch out for this guy.

Hema Malini
Well, she ain't exactly a new face, even on television, but Hema could well work her magic again on the small screen if she replicates her Seeta-Geeta act successfully in Sahara One's Kamini Damini. Her Bollwyood colleagues have done none too well on the same channel last year, but that's no reason to write off this sustained powerhouse of talent. She might just be the one to turn Sahara One's fortunes around in 2005!

Shabbir Ahluwalia
He's poisonous as Rishi in Kahiin To Hoga, but he's got enough fans for that lazy smile, tousled locks and dreamy eyes. Right now, he's locked in KTH and languishing in Sujal's shadow, but should Ekta find him a meatier role in a mega serial, Shabbir could be a daunting force in 2005.

Rajeev Khandelwal
His fan following is too huge and the hysteria he generates with his presence on Kahiin To Hoga is too immense to be ignored. His threat to quit the show had the fans begging him to stay, which he finally did. If logic prevails and Rajeev sticks to TV in 2005, he may sustain the fan frenzy.
heart*beat thumbnail
Dipannita, Natassha's cold war
   By: Upala KBR
   October 5, 2005

After Kya Kool Hai Hum, Balaji Telefilms next film, Koi Aap Sa, directed by debutant director Partha Mitra, is ready for release on October 12.

But few people know that the two heroines, Dipannita Sharma and Natassha (Kkavyanjali's Anjali) are at war. While Natassha stuck to Aftab Shivdasani (the hero), Dipannita kept to herself in her van.

Opposites repel

Says a Balaji source, "It started when they went to shoot in Australia for two songs and a few scenes, and escalated during the shoot in Mumbai. Natassha is a very bubbly, friendly person who gets along with everybody. She would play football with the unit guys, fool around with Aftab, and play pranks on people.

Dipannita is quiet and ladylike; she kept to herself and read in her van. Maybe she felt insecure about the fact that Natassha was so close to Aftab."

Quirky alone

Natassha doesn't deny the cold war. "I found Dipannita very cold and reserved. It's true we didn't get along well. Faffy (Aftab's nickname) and I hit it off from day one. After Faffy's friend Dhaval joined us, we became a group, partying and doing everything together.

We would have a rocking time, but not once did Dipannita join us, not even when we asked her to. She thought we were sidelining her, but it wasn't deliberate. She didn't want to mix with us. Off the sets, she would just switch off. When we celebrated my birthday (April 14) in Melbourne, Dipannita came late and left early."

Reserved class

Says Dipannita, "As far as the birthday party was concerned, that was because I had to go to shoot early morning the next day. Everybody was nice to me. I am a bit reserved as a person, but as far as I am concerned, there was no bad blood between us. I don't know about the rest."

While the actress is controlled when talking about Natassha, she gushes about Aftab. "Aftab is a complete brat and a prankster, making fun of everybody. But he's a good-natured guy and a very mature actor. Natassha is a very good actress; I acted with her in very few scenes."

Sides please!

Ekta Kapoor says, "Yes, I had heard about the friction between Dipu (Dipannita) and Tashu (Natasha) on the sets while shooting, but I couldn't get involved as Tashu is a good friend and I didn't want it to look like I was taking sides."
heart*beat thumbnail
thanks to ddddd and amaina

AN ARTICLE PUBLISHED IN TV GUIDE DATED OCTOBER 8TH SAYS THAT AMONG ALL TV COUPLES EJOO AND NAT ARE THE HOTTEST COUPLE, ISNT THAT GREAT, I WAS VERY HAPPY AFTER READING THAT ARTICLE  THE ARTICLE GOES LIKE THIS:
" FIRST IT WAS HITEN TEJWANI AND GAURI PRADHAN. NOW THAT THEY R MARRIED, THEIR SCREEN CHEMISTRY IS KINDA THANDA.THEN CAME SUJAL AND KASHISH BUT EKTA FELL OUT WITH SUJAL AND THAT WAS THE END OF HIS ROMANCE WITH BALAJI SERIALS. THE CURRENT HOT COUPLE IS EJAZ KHAN AND NATASSHA OF KAVYANJALI. THE CHEMISTRY THEY SHARE ON SCREEN IS QUITE SOMETHING. WITH EACH PASSING EPISODE THE PAIR GROWS ON U AND WE HEAR THAT THE TRP'S FOR KAVYANJALI R RISING.EVER SINCE THE TWO HAVE SEPERATED IN THE SERIAL AND KAVYA HAS REMARRIED, VIEWERS R WAITING WHEN THE SPLIT WILL HAPPEN AND WHEN THEY WILL BE RE-UNITED.THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION BEING ASKED NOW IS -ARE EJAZ KHAN AND NATASSHA A HOT ITEM OFF-SCREEN TOO? IT'S NOT UNCOMMON WITH TV LEAD STARS!"

heart*beat thumbnail
Ye dosti hum nahin todenge
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   October 8, 2005

Amit, Ajay, Dhaval and Maitreya with their dost Aftab Shivdasani
Aftab Shivdasani and Natassha are best friends in Ekta Kapoor's Koi Aap Sa, which releases next Friday. We asked Aftab if he ever had a female best friend.

"Yes, there was a girl called Kaamna Bhojwani, from school, but I lost touch with her for a while. These days, we have been in touch again."

And the award for the best friend goes to…

How about Natassha? "Yes, Natassha has come close as a friend. We had to hit it off very well, the script demanded it; thankfully, we gelled really well. She is a simple, uncomplicated girl." So who is Aftab's best friend?

"Four guys — Amit, Ajay, Dhaval and Maitreya — are my best friends," he tells hitList. "I can't  differentiate between them. I can count on them equally, at any place and hour."

Friend-in-law

From the lot, Amit holds a special place in Aftab's heart, because he is married to the actor's sister, Afsana. "I've known Amit since the days he started seeing Afsana. We hit it off very well. I never think of him as my brother-in-law."

Ajay Nathani and Aftab met years ago, when Aftab was in standard nine. "We met at CCI. He lives a lane away from my house." And Dhaval is Affy's oldest buddy. The two became friends when they were in class two, but soon got into a major fight.

Aftab recollects, "It happened while we were travelling in the school bus. Both of us wanted the front seat, near the driver. We got a bit violent; I hit him and he started crying. His mom came to school the next day and fired the shit out of me." Following that, the two friends stopped speaking to each other, and later went on to become buddies.

Love me, love sports

Aftab met Maitreya at CCI too. Mike (as he is fondly called) is a sports lover. "We connected because of sports. He loves badminton and cricket, and so do I." Aftab insists that all his four friends are equally close to him. "They know my deepest, darkest secrets."

Yana ka bahana

Do they know about the actor's relationships? "Oh yes, they never react to what is written about me, simply because they know the truth long before it is published," says the actor. What about his currrent relationship with Yana Gupta? "I knew that was coming. Let's talk about something else," he winks.

Any project of his that his friends know about and hitList doesn't? "Oh yes, there is one. Glenn and Ankush (of Jane Hoga Kya) are working on a project with me. I play a polio victim, who wants to get into the boxing ring.
The first half of the film requires me as a polio-sufferer, while the other half will show me as a boxer, which is why I am losing weight." The film, "based on a real-life story", is tentatively titled Champ, and will kick off in February or March next year.

[email protected]

heart*beat thumbnail

As Vanshita in the Star Plus daily Kkavyanjali, Kishwar Merchant may be making her share of well-orchestrated moves at Nitya's (Amrita Singh) behest, but a speeding biker threw the actress totally off-guard on Wednesday afternoon, when she was involved in a road mishap. It left her car damaged and the biker, who rammed her Hyundui Accent, was nearly run over by a tempo.

What happened?

The actress was on her way back home to Versova after shooting for Kkavyanjali at Killick Nixon studio, Saki Naka.

"It was about 2.30 pm, and there was bumper-to-bumper traffic at Saki Naka. My car was next to a tempo. Suddenly, a biker raced past, trying to squeeze into the space between the tempo and my car. But he lost control and hit my car, and almost missed being run over by the tempo," says Kishwar, whose driver was at the wheel.

And as in all such road mishaps, there was the usual milling crowd at the accident spot.

"The biker fell on the car. My vehicle was damaged; the bumper and the fender were dented, and so was the car light. But the crowd began blaming me for it! It was so annoying," fumes Kishwar, who waited for actor boyfriend Hiten Paintal to arrive on the scene.

"As soon as Hiten came, we took the biker to the nearby Y B Hospital, where he was administered first aid. Only then did we go to Saki Naka police station and file a complaint."

Kishwar has already sent her car to the workshop for repairs. "I had to do it immediately. I couldn't bear to see all those bad dents," she exclaims.

heart*beat thumbnail
TV stars stay away from dandiya
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   October 7, 2005

A red carpet welcome and good money, so why wouldn't our telly actors want to be a part of it? Last year, many TV actors made trips to cities within India and outside. Surat, Ahmedabad, Pune, Delhi, Nagpur and Kolkata have had Indian television actors swaying to dandiya beats. This time, the scene looks different.

Hiten Tejwani and wife Gauri Pradhan
Will not sway to dandiya beats this season. The couple has been going to the US and London around this time. This year, they are feeling a bit saturated about the naach-gaana. "Bahut ho gaya. Mere khyal se log hame dekhkar pak gaye honge. This time, we refused the offers," says Hiten.

Narayani Shastri
Loves Navratri, but didn't accept invitations. Blame it on Piya Ka Ghar. "My shooting schedules are tougher this time. So I cannot break away and travel abroad," she says. Why not in Mumbai? "Mumbai se offers aane kaafi kam ho gaye hain. Shaayad 10 pm deadline ka asar hai."

Natassha
She is focussed on her forthcoming film, Koi Aap Sa, which releases next Friday. "Actually, I am very nervous. Whatever few dandiya appearances I will make, will be for the promotion of Koi Aap Sa. The rest of the time gets divided in other promotional activities of Koi Aap Sa and the shooting of Kavyanjali."

Kushal Punjabi
The actor is in bed, suffering from viral fevel. "I was supposed to go to Bangalore, but my doctor has advised bed rest. Anyway, that visit would have been for just a day or two. Dandiya is not very hot, this year."

Kamya Punjabi
Is indisposed. "I am going to be shooting for Reth. Besides, Navratri this year is not very happening. The 10 pm deadline has affected things."

Sakshi Tanwar
Has decided to stay low-key. "The 10 pm deadline has dampened the spirit. Plus this year, the shooting of Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii is proceeding cut-to-cut. So there is hardly any time."

[email protected]

Odd ones out

Aamna Shariff
"I will be going to Surat, Kolhapur and Jaipur. I have informed Balaji and Ekta (Kapoor) is cool about it, as long as I complete my shooting schedules on time. I will have to shuttle between Mumbai and the city where I am going for dandiya."

Deepshikha
She's headed for Surat and Chittor. "I am certainly looking forward to it. It's going to be fun, especially because it will be a stress-reliever, away from hectic Mumbai and gruelling shooting schedules."

Is it the fat pay packet that drives them? While Aamna laughed and said "Oh yeah!" Deepshikha was forthcoming, "Abhi nahin kamaoongi to kabhi kamaoongi?" she shot back.