KA Articles Archive - Page 6

Posted: 18 years ago
I don't need sympathy from anyone: Karisma
   By: Tushar Joshi
   May 11, 2005

Endearing: Karisma Tanna     
As the air-headed Indu in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Karisma Tanna provided comic relief in an otherwise dreary show. Tanna was also seen as Krutika in Sony's now-canned Kkoi Dil Mein Hai.

Recently, rumours were rife about her alleged relationship with Kkoi Dil Mein Hai co-star Eijaz Khan (Kkavya of Kkavyanjali) and their subsequent break-up. The leggy lady opens up about what went wrong…

What's your current equation with Eijaz Khan?
I am not in touch with him anymore. There was a time when we used to know what was happening in the other's life, but today things have become very ugly. We're not seeing each other anymore; there's a huge rift between us.

What went wrong?
He wanted to focus on his career and I respect his decision to part ways. We were never dating as such, but both of us enjoyed each other's company and would spend hours chatting. It was not an affair, but we had special feelings for each other. I would say we were more than just good friends.

Are you bitter about the fallout?
Not at all. I wish Eijaz all the best. Now that he's doing Kkavyanjali, he hardly has any time for himself. But his decision to end our relationship was out of his concern for his career, and I fully supported him in that.

Is it true that you recently got drunk at a party and cried in his arms?
I was a bit tipsy, but I never got drunk. I met Eijaz at the party and we hugged each other. It wasn't like I went spiralling into his arms and got all weepy. In fact, we even had dinner together and then parted ways very cordially. I don't want anyone's sympathy. Those who think that I'm broken-hearted should mind their own business.

Would you ever want to go back to the way things were with Eijaz?
As far as Eijaz is concerned, I want to move on. I don't mind being friends with him, but I don't think we would get back together like before.

Are you doing any new shows?
Yes, I am very excited about my new show Palkhi with Cinevista. I play this modern girl with a very straightforward take on life. It's my first lead role and I hope it does well.

Did you recently shoot an ad with Shah Rukh Khan?
Yes I did. I got to dress up like Sushmita Sen in Main Hoon Na. I play this schoolteacher and Shah Rukh is the father of one of the kids at school.
Sonia turns down Kavyanjali
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   October 17, 2005

Sonia Rakkar     
Recently, hitList told you that Shweta Kawaatra refused Kavyanjali. Now one more actor's sailing in the same boat — Sonia Rakkar (Great Indian Comedy Show) has also turned down Kkavyanjali.

Says Sonia, "I don't remember which role Balaji wanted me to do in Kkavyanjali, but I could not accommodate it because the dates they wanted were clashing with Great Indian Comedy Show."

Scam rewind

Sonia had not planned to become an actress. In fact, she wanted to be a criminal lawyer and has studied law. "I appeared for the judges' examination, but didn't do too well. There was a scam in the results that year and I think that was one of the reasons."

Smile please!

Destiny had other plans for her in December 1999. "I went for a lark to Zee, to audition as a newsreader. I didn't do too well, because half the time, I kept smiling!

The next thing I knew, they had selected me as an in-house artiste! I was so excited, I could not refuse. I took up the offer and came to Mumbai in the next four days. Soon, I was veejaying on Music Asia." However, Sonia did not stick around for long — she acted in her first serial, Zindagi Milke Bitayenge, on Channel 9.

Where are the guys?

Sonia stays alone in Mumbai. "I think I am lucky to have parents who have faith in me. My dad has been in the Air Force, so I am quite independent." Does that mean that Sonia holds herself back from fatal attractions?

"Well, I have my temptations but I never get carried away. Frankly, love affair karne ka bahut man kar raha hai lekin ladka nahin mil raha. Where are the guys?

Half of them are married and the other half are gay," she exclaims.
Sonia was earlier in love with Avinash Sharma. "His dad was an MLA. We went around for nearly eight years, but suddenly one day, his dad was murdered. His mom put pressure on him and he had to marry elsewhere." Avinash entered Sonia's life when she was just 16.

Why not films?

"Robby Grewal wanted to sign me for a film, but I was committed to Great Indian Comedy Show. Then I got a call from Jhamu Sugandh, but the role didn't interest me."

Is the casting couch worrying her? "Not at all. People do get roles without getting exploited. Casting couch happens only if the girl lets out feelers that she is available. Even if I am in a brothel, nobody can force himself on me unless I allow him to." Atta girl!
Kavya's love turns out to be a ghost!
   By: Tushar Joshi
   March 25, 2005

SPIRITUAL QUEST: Eijaz Khan and Natassha      
Those who follow the tumultuous journey of Kavya (Eijaz Khan) in Kavyanjali (Star Plus) will be in for a shock when it is revealed that his first love, Anjum (Natassha) is not a live person, but a ghost!

The last few episodes have seen Kavya harrowed by a past that keeps coming back. Despite his closeness to Anjali (also played by Natassha), he is constantly haunted by visions of Anjum.

Says Kripa Narayanan, creative head for the show, "Kavya is on the verge of a nervous breakdown and is taking time coming to terms with his past. When he finds out that his first love was a ghost, it almost kills him. Also, with the track veering towards the paranormal, there is lots of thrill to the story."

Anjali is frustrated that Kavya doesn't love her and is stuck in his past. He even skips their honeymoon in London and takes her to Shimla, to figure out Anjum's past.

"After revealing Anjum's identity, the show traces the reason why she is haunting Kavya. The coming week marks an important twist to the tale, when Kavya discovers an old photo of Nitya (Amrita Singh) and Anjum's mother.

This leads him to discover that a marriage had been fixed between Anjum and himself by his and Anjum's parents. However, it was called off, driving Anjum into depression and leading to her death due to an accident," explains Narayan.

But will these added elements of ghost and spirits shift the focus from the romantic angle the show is based on? "Not really. In fact Anjali and Kavya have grown fond of each other.

But whenever he tries to get intimate with her, he gets visions of Anjum. The romance will be dashed with flavours of mystery and suspense," says the creative head.

With the programme heading towards darker themes, will there be any space for light moments and humour? "We have the holi celebrations, when Anjali is finally accepted in the family. We are trying not to keep the theme dark throughout."
New Balaji soap is based on Ekta's life
   By: Subhash K Jha
   January 31, 2005

Ekta Kapoor      
Ekta Kapoor has decided to make her tumultuous climb to the position of telly tycoon into a soap on Star One. Chuckles Kapoor, "I think it's a very cute soap, because the story takes off in a way that's quite similar to my own life."

The serial is called Kannu Ki Kismat Mein Kya Hai. "I'm quite like Kannu," says Kapoor.

"She's supposed to be exactly the way I was in my pre-television days. Kannu's family thinks she has no career to look forward to.

While her two sisters are hotshot models, Kannu is professionally unhappening — the kind of daughter parents feel would only make wife-mother material.

Like me, Kannu has no interest in doing anything spectacular with her life. I was pretty sure I'd make nothing of my life. I too was happy being a nobody."

Is Kapoor going to play herself? "Nooooo! Not me," she drawls. "I haven't done the casting yet. First, I need to get Kkavyanjali (Star Plus) on the road.

Then I need to work on Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai for Sony which goes on air on March 10. I also have another show on Star One called Karbon Kopy. In all, I've five shows going on air in the next few months."

Incidentally, Kapoor has given up the fight to go against the expected. "I can't go against my brand. Besides it's a family serial which gets the whole nation hooked.

I tried to do something different in soaps like Kahani Terri Merri and Kehna Hai Kuch Mujhko, but they didn't work! Obviously my audience expects a certain kind of entertainment from me, and I'll give them that."

The Kapoor season began with Kkavyanjali (Star Plus) which went on air on January 25.

"Kavyanjali is my homage to the cinema of Karan Johar. I'm a big fan of his films. It's a very critical show for me. There's a lot of hope attached to Kavyanjali.

"Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi took 20 episodes to get going. The 9.30 slot is even more important than the 10 pm slot. I can't afford to let viewers down with this one. In fact, I had another serial ready to go on air on Star One. But to me, the soap on Star Plus was more important.

Adds Kapoor, "As for my top three soaps, a major time transition is happening in Kasauti Zindagi Kay this week. It's time for the next generation of characters. My time has come again. I've never been busier."

Ekta's high-five

* Kkavyanjali (Star Plus)
A daily soap drawing inspiration from Karan Johar's K3G
* Kaisa Yeh Pyar Hai, for Sony
* A romantic soap on the lines of Kkusum
* Karbon Kopy (Star One)
* Kannu Ki Kismat Mein Kya Hai (Star One)
Based on Kapoor's real life story about an average girl who makes it big as a telly tycoon
* A weekend soap on Zee
*YUCK **WHATEVER ***GOOD ****SUPER *****AWESOME

Kuch kuch aap sa

Koi Aap Sa**
Dir: Partho Mitra
Starring: Aftab Shivdasani, Natassha and Dipannita Sharma

Kahani mein twist

Move over Kuch Kuch Hota Hain — best friends turning lovers is the toast of the season once again. Ekta Kapoor's new offering Koi Aap Sa is about Rohan (Aftab) and Simran (Natassha) who are childhood buddies and just cannot do without each other.

The whole world, including Simran's parents, believe they are in love but they are just really great pals; nothing more. Aftab falls in love but Preeti (Dipannita Sharma) who also suspects there's more to his relationship with Simran than mere friendship.

Her doubts are cleared when Simran's fianc Vicky (Himanshu Malik), pops into the picture.

Just when you think everything is fine, Vicky's friend, Ranjeet (Gautam Kapoor), rapes Simran during a prom night. Rohan convinces Simran to not tell anyone about the rape, especially Vicky who is out of the country.

Two months later, Simran finds herself pregnant. Since nobody knows about Simran's rape, everyone believes the kid is Rohan's and no amount of convincing helps. For what follows…watch the film.

Ekdum jhakaas

The film has been shot well and has a fresh look to it. Aftab's character has been interestingly sketched — he keeps referring to Natassha as a guy and also weeps often. Aftab once again proves that when it comes to comedy, he is unmatchable.

The camaraderie between him and Natassha is well captured. Watch for the scene where she's dressed in all her finery and she asks him how she's looking; Aftab turns back and says with a straight face, "Ekdum mardaana."

Then there's another one when Aftab goes on his first date with Dipannita and gets her a tummy trimmer as a gift. Natassha gets a plum role and doesn't disappoint at all. In the first half of the film, she sparkles the screen with her presence. The music by Himesh Reshmiya has a soulful feel; wish it had been marketed better.

Kuch gadbad hai

As if there isn't enough reminder of the chhota screen with all those characters from the dailies crammed whenever possible (Ali Asgar, Chetan Hansraj, Natassha's parents and others making cameos), director Partho Mitra even treats the film like a TV serial.

He makes Natassha shed copious tears throughout the second half of the film. The rona dhona may work with fans of Parvati bhabhi but carrying the melodrama to the big screen is a bit too much at times.

Also, the story, which could've turned out really novel, suffers primarily because of the apologetic stance adopted by the protagonist. Natassha's father saying 'Jai Mata Di' to end conversations is reminiscent of Amitabh Bachchan's 'Keh diya matlab keh diya' from K3G, minus the star power, of course.

The film needs some heavy trimming — Aftab's bumbling act with Dipannita on their first meeting is very annoying.

The confusion at Natassha's engagement sequence needed some drastic cuts. Dipannita Sharma desperately needs a better make-up person and a dress designer.

Aila, yeh kya?

The dialogue that takes the cake is when Natassha tells Aftab, "Mein tumse itna pyar karti hoon jitna BJP karta hain Congress se aur Vivek karta hain Salman se." Also, look for the scenes where Aftab starts referring to Natassha's fianc as 'chief'.

Kya karein kya na karein

Here's a film that starts off with a lot of promise and holds your attention till the intermission. Watch it if you can digest the weepy melodrama thereafter.
o bold scenes for Natassha

Natassha     
This Balaji loyalist was recently spotted fretting about producers and directors approaching her with sleazy, C grade roles.

Says Natassha, "It's definitely not my cup of tea and I don't believe in unabashed skin-show to titillate a bunch of frustrated viewers."

She was probably justifying her presence in soaps and flicks alike in Balaji ventures, the recent one being Koi Aap Sa, with Aftab Sivdasani and Dipannita Sharma.

Anyway, aam khao aur Ekta ke gun gayo!
Going nuts over Natassha
   By: Sandipan Dalal
   October 17, 2005
Can't help it, I'm an actress after all!
Name:
Natassha.

Claim to fame: Born and raised in Mumbai, Natassha auditioned for the sake of fun when she landed up grabbing Balaji's Kabhi Sautan Kabhi Saheli a few years back. With the passage of time she evolved as a performer, at least her string of films Krishna Cottage, Kuch To Hai, Yeh Dil, Sisiilay and the recent Koi Aap Sa say so. She's beaming on the television too with Kavyanjali on Star Plus.

Favourite haunts: Bombay Baking Company, J W Marriott and Olive.

Favourite drink: Diet Pepsi.

Favourite street-food: Sev puri and pav bhaji.

Favourite restaurants: Mangi Ferra and Mainland China.

Favourite salon: Makeover.

Favourite clothes store: Si branch.

Hey Shah Rukh, what do you think about me?
Favourite shoe store:
Aldo.

Favourite celebrity: Shah Rukh.

Favourite destination: Goa and London.

Treasured body feature: My eyes and mole.

I pamper myself…
By going to the salon for a body and head massage, catching up on sleep.
Things I like about the city:
— The speed.
— It's a busy place. 

It's lucky for me
Things I hate about the city:

— Pollution.
— 0Traffic.

I love Mumbai because…
I live here.

Pics: Sayed Sameer Abedi

[email protected]
Ramazan- Time for devotion and dedication!

Chicken Biryani, kheer, and all sorts of fruits are the core attraction of this month. As Ramazan is here, Muslim's are fasting in full force and so are our television stars. Long hours of shooting in a day and keeping away from any kind of intake is such a task, but not for our stars. "Where there is a will, there is a way!" is what they believe in and live up to their old tradition of fasting.

Riya V. Anandwala talks to our Muslim celebs and finds out their preparations for Idd.
Iqbal Khan

Yes I have kept roza this time. It is extremely difficult to shoot while roza, but I guess God gives me that extra thing. Right now I have a dance show to do, and its happening, the best way to manage is, not to think about it! I break my fast with "tabarukh" which is Kashmir's Prasad. The best part about Ramazan is, technically it keeps my body clean, we don't talk much which is good. And otherwise it gives us inner strength, we don't abuse and don't indulge in fights. I do namaaz all 5 times in a day during Ramazan. I haven't shopped for anything as of now, because of lack of time, but for Idd I will buy a nice white pathani. When it comes to food, I love it anyway. Though I shouldn't be talking about it, as I am fasting right now(laughs), but non-veg, fruits and many drinks are something which I gorge on. Badaam ke khajur, is another thing which I love!

Hussain

Yes I do keep Roza's. I believe where there is will there is a way! So it is a part of our regularity, and it shouldn't come in our way, be it shooting or tsunami. I break my fast with "khajur" and fruits. In principle, it cleans up one's body system. It comes once in a year, so for the whole month you are striving to keep your body up to the mark. It also depends a great deal on what you eat, if you consistently eat the same junk then it won't make a difference. It is a period to remember our prophet. I haven't shopped for anything as of now, and not even decided. I do go out at nights to have the Ramazan fare.

Nausheen Ali Sardar

No, I am not fasting regularly this time. I used to fast a lot, when I was in school and college. I have just kept two, and why I don't fast during my shoots is because, it is really difficult to manage both. One can't afford to look dry on camera, and if I am hungry that shows on my face. Putting a lot of make-up during Ramazan is not allowed too. So basically my whole concentration will be driven on my fasting, so I avoid that. I break my fast with "khajur" or "namak". I haven't shopped for anything as of now, but yes two days before I will definitely buy salwar kameez, may be in the shade of white, mango yellow, wine colours or red. When it comes to the Ramazan feast, as I have given up eating chicken and mutton two years back, I gorge on fish and of course can't stay without saivya and kheer.

Ali Hasan

Yes, I am fasting and it is not at difficult for me while I am shooting. I take it as a challenge to fast while shooting. On the contrary staying home is rather difficult. I break my fast with "khajur" which everyone is supposing to, and then it follows. The whole month of Ramazan is a very pure month, the moment we enter in this month, I feel so clean. It's not only about food, but about mind, body and soul. It's a stoppage on all bad acts and language. It transforms me completely. I enjoy it completely. Shopping? I am not a shopping fanatic as such, I do it as and when I get time. Haven't bought anything as such till now, I might not get time even a day before Idd. Coming to the Ramazan feast, I love food made by my mom, everything, whatever she makes is too good.
courtesy shireen.

hey guys

here is some info about Natassha's fav shoe store...ALDO

Well-heeled

Aldo Shoes
Phoenix Mills
Tel: 24961634
7/10

This takes the pain out of shoe shopping. No more endless wasted hours at Warden Road, Colaba Causeway and Linking Road, looking but never finding the perfect pair that makes both you and your arches smile. Whip out the plastic €" and you will make heavy-duty use of it here €" and head to Phoenix Mills.

At Aldo, the shoes are incredibly stylish. And surprisingly comfortable.
If you want a teetering stiletto that we could (but wouldn€™t) recommend running in, this is the store to find it in.

This also the place you€™d find the basic everyday flat slippers; the wild experiment in a boho-chic wedge; and the short stack heel in today€™s candy-bright colours. Compared to the stuff in other stores, the shoes here make our toes curl with pleasure (despite prices from Rs 1,250 for foam slippers up to Rs 9,000 for the single piece from their premium Bridge range).

Aldo also perhaps has the best-looking range of shoes for men under one roof. They manage to make white leather loafers for men look good and that€™s a tough call. Even their smart dress shoes look super-comfortable (Rs 2,500 to 6,000).

The store also has cool sneakers and Aldo accessories €" bags, sunglasses, belts, dangly and sparkly jewellery. We€™re still wondering why there€™s a rack of strange, long, belted jackets in bright brocades and glittered satin. Well go there for the shoes, really.

Aldo manufactures in Italy, Canada, Romania and China and sells in over 800 stores around the world. This, their first store in India has a limited range, albeit disproportionately high on taste. So expect your pocket to be bitten, but not your feet.

Roshni Bajaj Sanghvi
Nisha is new Disha in Kkavyanjali
   By: Vickey Lalwani
   August 8, 2005

IN: Nisha Sareen     OUT: Megha Gupta     
Ekta Kapoor's Kkavyanjali (Star Plus) has a replacement – tonight, Nisha Sareen steps into Megha Gupta's shoes.

Megha, who played Disha, has dropped out to concentrate on her studies. Nisha is elated with her new assignment.

"It's a great role. Why would I refuse it?" she asks.

Megha is in her final year of the Mass Media course at Wilson College, and could not adjust her studies and shooting schedules.

"I tried my best, but it was becoming too much," she says. Initially, things were cool. "They had a bank and the schedules were not so hectic. But slowly, I found that I could not do justice to my studies."

Megha was warned by her college to improve her attendance. "I could not even attend my Culture Studies examination due to the shooting.

Now I will appear for the same subject as a KT," she rues. "But I will be back on television. After my final exams are over in March, I will take up new roles," says the actress.

[email protected]

Sareen's acting career

Nisha Sareen made her debut on the small screen in a 20-episode cameo as Apeksha in Kahiin To Hoga. Currently, she plays Dweep in K Street, Pali Hill.

Sareen graduated from St Xavier's College and started her acting career with theatre. Prior to Kahiin To Hoga, she was seen in the plays, My Best Friend's Wedding and Black With Equal.

She also played a part in Samar Khan's debut film, Kuch Meetha Ho Jaye.