Abortions - Are they legally Immoral?

Posted: 19 years ago

Discussion of the week

We are going to post one very controversial topic every week and invite your opinion on it. However I request you to follow a few basic rules

1) these are just opinions and do not reflect a person's moral/social/ idealogical values so please refrain from name calling and personal attacks

2) keep the post decent (some topics might be infuriating). rest assured they are from what we encounter in our daily life and we expect a honest , healthy and intellectual debate.

3)if you have any ideas for the topics...please forward them to the moderators.

I hope you will take this opportunity to participate in this debate without being judgemental. Open mindedness and tolerance have been the greatest asset of this forum. Also please feel free to send us feedbacks if you would like to continue with these discussions or not.

Ok let's start: Our topic for this week is

"ARE ABORTIONS REALLY IMMORAL"

Almost all the religions in the world call abortions sin and immoral equalling to murdering a living being.But in present times are abortions really that big sin. Is it fair to bring kids with deformities, genetic disorders,and health issues to life??...what about unwanted kids resulting from premarital, extramarital relationships or rapes??...what about kids of unwanted sex or parents with insufficient resources to give them basic nessecities of life?? should the women be given the right to decide alone(her being primary caretaker or should father of kid in question have a say??

Let the debate began.....

gigli wrote:

What a woman wants to do with her body is her choice and her choice only. If a woman wants to get an abortion for whatever reason she has every right too. No one can tell another person what to do. That is like if I went to someone in a restaurant and said "Don't eat that because I do not want you to!"

The only time I can personally disagree with abortion is when someone uses it as a form of birth control (constant abortions), but like I said no one should be able to stop someone from aborting a baby. If someone is raped- why should they be further reminded of that event?

Also- one needs to think about the kids! If someone knows they cannot provide the right means to care for a child's well-being and does not wish to give them up for adoption (because they fear they might want to meet the child which would further complicate matters) then it is in everyone's best interest that the child not be born.

I still do not understand who gave anyone the right to tell a person what not to do with their body. That makes no sense to me.

As for the father- if he is not in the picture- he has no say. If he is... a joint decision has to be made. If the father really wants the baby- then he should take full responsibility for the child.... I know this would probably not always work but....

............................................................ .........................................................

gurl i couldnt have put it, any better.....completly agree!!!!

Edited by cndguju - 19 years ago

gigli... u practically took the words from my mouth

its a women's choice, if she wants to have an abortion or whatever, no body else can tell her what to do with her body. Its her body, she can do whatever she wants with it, and i agree with gigli that abortions is not right when a girl uses it as a means of birth control, that is not the purpose of it, if they are old enough to create life then they should be able to take care of that life, every action has its consequences

I agree with gigli that it is essentially the woman's choice;

but globally this doesnt really happen. Women are pressured by society and family to take decisions that they may not want to.

I also think governments and religeous groups should not impose their anti-abortion stances on women. As a human being, a woman has every right to do what she wants with her body.

πŸ‘ Beautifully said, Jen! You echoed my thoughts on this issue!

even i agree with gigli...she is absolutely rightπŸ‘
This is a such a controversial topic. I completely agree with Jen that it is  a woman's choice and she should decid what to do. However if someone is trying to eliminate a mistake of theirs, such as not having used contraception, then it can be seen as taking an innocents life away. In this scenario I think abortions should not happen but otherwise it the woman's choice.

I agree with Jen, and jen that was very well said.πŸ‘  Just like most of the other members i think that a women has the choise to do whatever she wants to her body.  And i think she has the right to abort a child, if that child is from, rape, or something she does not want, or does not want to be reminded of.

Edited by meghavi - 19 years ago

well said all of you...but i happen to disagree to certain points.....while i agree that no goverment or religion should be given power to decide if abortion is needed or not, i also happen to think that each case should be treated individually according to circumstances.

while it is true that it is a woman's body and she gets to decide how to treat it...the fact remains that her decision impacts a new life ready to enter world. while at times abortion may seem easiest route out...it may turn out to be hardest later. there are tremendous health issues involved in an abortion(one that may impact your life later), not to mention the emotional guilt involved.most people do not consider future implications when considering it (at times you can end up in state of infertility or difficult pregnancies later).while abortion may be justified in case of rapes, genetic deformities and health concerns but i hardly think it is justified in case of premarital/extramarital relationships(if you are foolish enough not to take necessary precautions) or simply delaying parenthood by few years (just bcoz you want to have fun).

also this is a problem in some southasian countries where abortion is used as a way to get rid of child of unwanted gender. one of my aunts is an ob/gyn in india. she claims that half of her patients specially uneducated ones would opt/would be forced to opt for abortion if she told them that thier kid was a daughter.if you consider the implications ...it leads us towards a society lacking in females disturbing nature's balance. the problem was so acute that indian government had to step in and declare finding the gender of the featuses and having abortion based on it illegal.

bottom line being ....while abortion is not a sin...however it should be treated as last resort owing to various physical, emotional and social implications involved.

You are right Gigli but u r killl ing a living being